Japan: Tokyo - Need some advice for holiday

Sozo

hi,

planning to go Japan-Tokyo on 6-12 Dec for the first time with family-adults + kids.

appreciate to all kind advices n guides in advance. many thx [:)]:mellow:

↡ Advertisement

I usually start my morning at asakusa, sensoji temple. yes, nakamise dori is closed but it brings along with it a sense of tranquility. sometimes I stay around there so I will purposely walk along it to take the tsukuba express. Else, after some time there I will take the train to tsukiji market for brunch. the sushi shops dont open THAT early anyway. It helps that one of my fren's dad owns one of the bigger shops there so we always get some freebies. from there I usually take a slow walk to ginza where my wife will shop. Since its usually the weekend I will just sit in the middle of the road (with tables and chairs) and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate.

Late afternoon we will walk around Ameyokocho (very huge street market) at Ueno. Cheaper. At Ueno Atre there is the best ramen I have eaten - Ichiran. Also a multi storey toy shop that sells tonnes of stuff called Yamashiroya; you can't miss it. there is a candy WHOLESALE store called NIKI 二木 inside ameyokocho, gotta ask around. can buy your souvenirs or titbits for colleagues or relatives here. cheap.

Akihabara is mainly just to feel the cosplay and maid cafe atmosphere. but there is a huge yodobashi camera. still, just shopping.

harajuku has probably the biggest Daiso; it's at the entrance of takeshita dori. About 100m away from Daiso (in front of a pharmacy) there is the famous crepe stalls. I rem there are 3 of them...?

Some days we will go to jiyugaoka. very OL and young women kind of place. we will find a cafe and laze some time away looking at people. then usually I will pop over to kaminoge station and get alfa romeo stuff for the alfa people. nothing much there but I have heard of a very famous ramen there before.

Tokyo tower is a nice to visit. Odaiba as well. oh with kids u shld take the "hovercraft" lookalike boat to odaiba. can't rem what it's called, but named after an anime series. and return to tokyo (shinbashi?) via the monorail service Yurikamome. can see the rainbow bridge at night.

nothing much to see in yokohama, i feel.

u can also go to hakone but i prefer kawaguchiko as a day trip. if you are lucky u may see fireworks (free) at atami.

(you're lucky - there is one on the 9th dec. http://www.ataminews.gr.jp/hanabi/)

冬--20:20~20:45

12/2(日)・12/9(日)・12/24(月・祝)

beats our NDP fireworks hands down and pants down.

Tokyo disney resort and disney sea are nice to go. if you have girls can bring them to tama city for puro puro land (sanrio).

hope that helps.

food wise can go to TENYA てんや or toridori 鳥どり for cheap and good tempura set and yakitori. macdonalds is pretty cheap. but u MUST TRY ramen ichiran ラメン一蘭

try to understand the train system before u go. JR is JR. metro is metro.

purchases above 10,000 yen entitles u to 5% tax rebate. Just ask for menzei (sounds like 'men zay') 免税 but not all shops have this.

act nicely then they might

In Tokyo, usually me and wife very polite and nice to the Japanese and most of them are polite back.

Except for a few instances: like asking for directions and the guy (well-dressed man) just ignored us and continued walking, going into a famous and well-regarded small restaurant and have the Japanese customers in there stare at you with daggers in their eyes (don't think we did anything wrong nor talked loudly or banged the door or anything)

Most Japanese are very nice and polite people. However there are still some who are very local-minded and don't like foreigners at all. I have ever seen one of those yakuza/right-wing vans going around the streets with Japanese war flag and loudspeaker.... very funny!

In Tokyo, usually me and wife very polite and nice to the Japanese and most of them are polite back.

Except for a few instances: like asking for directions and the guy (well-dressed man) just ignored us and continued walking, going into a famous and well-regarded small restaurant and have the Japanese customers in there stare at you with daggers in their eyes (don't think we did anything wrong nor talked loudly or banged the door or anything)

Most Japanese are very nice and polite people. However there are still some who are very local-minded and don't like foreigners at all. I have ever seen one of those yakuza/right-wing vans going around the streets with Japanese war flag and loudspeaker.... very funny!

he saying soapland la. i never go b4... too expensive for my taste...

he saying soapland la. i never go b4... too expensive for my taste...

Oh hahhaha sorry i misread. Yeah in Tokyo I met a few Chinese service staff in the F&B industry who look and speak Japanese. How I know they are Chinese? They suddenly started speaking fluent Mandarin to Taiwanese and HK tourists. Actually I also discovered a few of the AV actresses are actually Chinese gals who look and speak Japanese.

Supercharged

Actually I also discovered a few of the AV actresses are actually Chinese gals who look and speak Japanese.

Really! Who huh? :wub:

i think some japs dont want to reply to u cos they dont feel comfortable speaking to u in English.

Yes...its quite common to see Taiwanese/PRC working in Japan.

I went to a onsen, 3hrs away from Tokyo....they assigned a China girl to attend to us for our 3 days stay there...the girl said the hotel paid accom for her to study jap language and work at the same time.

I went to a restaurant in Kyoto, a Taiwanese woman speaks mandarin to us. she said she work there.

How much per visit to soapland?

must have kang tao.

otherwise you kena fake japanese girls. aka ah tiong bu that speak jap.

apparently japs dont like their women to be farked by non jap. so when they see non jap, they assign ah tiong bu [laugh]

Supercharged

must have kang tao.

otherwise you kena fake japanese girls. aka ah tiong bu that speak jap.

apparently japs dont like their women to be farked by non jap. so when they see non jap, they assign ah tiong bu [laugh]

But if the other way round leh? Will a Jap man always pick a Jap lady to service him and reject ATB lady? :o