Alternatives to Yahoo Auction?

Albeniz

Folks, few years ago, there was this wonderful website-Yahoo Auction, which facilitated selling of 1st-hand or pre-owned goods within Singapore, meetup at MRT stations for transaction, without a need to pay a single cent for admin. The web-traffic was excellent too.

But this great website has closed down few years back. Do you know of any good website which is equivalent to Yahoo Auction? I think ebay is not as user-friendly.

↡ Advertisement

For local online site Ebay is still the leader . For free classify advertisements you can try Gumtree or 88D_B. Ebid from UK has recently started operation in Spore and Malaysia. Very new hardly notice by online buyers.

Edited by Yeobh

What about Craiglist?

Craiglist is very popular in US, is it popular here? Has anyone used this site?

Twincharged

i have bought lots of stuffs via www.Phing.com .... but now i also buy from aliexpress.com (directly from china)

For electronic gadgets, hardwarezone forums is a good site.. Recently sold my iPhone 4 and response was great.. Sold within a couple of days

No frills wise and easy I would say is to just post a thread in hwz or vrzone market thread and indicate the bidding duration, minimum bid and buy now price if any. Let forummers post their bids and you decide whom you want to sell to. eBay will be more troublesome to setup. I am not so sure whether you will get ample protection as a seller as its buyer protection program is biased towards buyers in general. Perhaps, eBay will suspend or ban the accounts of those who make dead bids but that should be it.

No frills wise and easy I would say is to just post a thread in hwz or vrzone market thread and indicate the bidding duration, minimum bid and buy now price if any. Let forummers post their bids and you decide whom you want to sell to. eBay will be more troublesome to setup. I am not so sure whether you will get ample protection as a seller as its buyer protection program is biased towards buyers in general. Perhaps, eBay will suspend or ban the accounts of those who make dead bids but that should be it.

Yup agree too. In terms of reach, hardwarezone should be better than ebay if you only want to sell to locals and want to meet up to sell your stuff (esp for electronic items).

Ebay is useful if you are willing to ship your item overseas, but do note that there are seller fees and auction fees involved, and you have to take into think about your shipping options and state the charges upfront.

i have bought lots of stuffs via www.Phing.com .... but now i also buy from aliexpress.com (directly from china)

What is your experience with aliexpress? So far any disputes regarding the quality and handling of goods?

Twincharged

Auction wise the only option should be ebay.

another local site ... www.cute4ever.com, can migrate your yahoo ratings over there.

Twincharged

What is your experience with aliexpress? So far any disputes regarding the quality and handling of goods?

so far so good ... got all my orders ... coz all of them with tracking.

Got one $5 item without tracking but it still came ...but i think it was opened by china customs.

managed to get a refund after i returned a faulty SD card, but only had to pay for the postage.

only one bad experience was buying a 10" chinese tab ... short-circuited after 2 hours of use, communicated with the seller and he kept telling me to do this and do that until i gave up and opened up the tab to show him the board had shorted ... and he told me warranty void becoz i opened it.

bottomline, its safe to buy so far ... but try to use EMS/courier for peace of mind.