AA car evaluation report for the second hand car I'm buying

Newdrive

Yeah mileage matters -

You can guess if and how much been wound back - and then use it as a negotiating point with the dealer. Can also try to guess about other things.

If mileage say 45,000 km - you know the dealer dishonest and wonder what other maintenance not done,

If mileage say 73,000 then maybe dealer realtively honest.

Also, for a car around 6-7 years old, the problems don't strike me as being out of the ordinary - this is part and parcel of buying a used car. Will sure have some repairs, is just a matter of how much, and trying to choose a car that will minimise your risk.

How do you guess the mileage?

My previous ride mileage was sold at 120k and it was sold at 65k.

So base on 65k, the servicing is going to be hell lot of difference.

↡ Advertisement

for me, based on AA report, u can also call up the person doing the check and seek some advise from him.

for me those old cars (5 years and up), as long as no major mechanical or engine fault that needs costly repair or replacement later. i will take it.

car cosmetic wise wun have 100% but dealers usually will do up the car (like small dents , paint loss etc).

if the dealer refuse to send to AA, just walk away.

so far the two dealers both ok to go AA except for the Jazz one.... even though report came back as very negative, he is still very blatant that its common for old cars like that.

anyway i advise you to sign up as AA member cos it will cost $90 instead of $120 (exclude gst) for each evaluation...

I spent $128.40 x 2 .... could have save $30-40+ if i sign up as a member haha (didn't know before i am going for more then 1 evaluation).

There is some perks as AA member too.... got discounts at workshops and tyre shops. etc

I do have AA membership. I sent my own car for inspection a few years back - took almost 2 hours to complete but it was very comprehensive. OK, so I now know that if dealer is reluctant to have the car sent to AA (whatever excuse he may give), I will walk away. Paying $90 for the report is worth it, even if I end up not buying the car.

Turbocharged

How do you guess the mileage?

My previous ride mileage was sold at 120k and it was sold at 65k.

So base on 65k, the servicing is going to be hell lot of difference.

By clues like cracked timing belt -

Timing belt cracked you would expect milage to be in the 80-100k range.

IF is only 40k, you know either unusual problem or dealer lying.

Is a combination of all the small clues that you get from the inspection, then just guess

AA membership is worth it.

I have been a member since buying car 6 years ago.

Free jump start, tyre change, if lock keys inside they also come.

Then the other benefits mentioned. Well worth while...

Tyre change also free? If your keys lock inside, they come do what? [:/]

Edited by 13177

Turbocharged

Tyre change also free? If your keys lock inside, they come do what? [:/]

Unlock dor lor -

Far as I know, YES, tyre change also free

Unlock dor lor -

It will be very useful, if tyre need to be changed at expressway. Never change tyre at expressway yourself. Let the expert to do the job. (Beware of moving vehicle)..... :D

Looks like all cars who went through AA evaluation, comments all seems to be more on negative side? [:/]

Previously sold my car and buyer requested AA. The AA advisor told me : I'll write down everything one ah... :D

That guy also very chatty, my current car also sent to him (Ford Focus) and he told me "If I were you, I won't buy this car" [:p]

Edited by Othello

Unlock dor lor -

AA also can "break open" you car lock?! :blink: If the tyre change is free, looks like quite good to join their member. Cause if tyre got flat and if they can come and change for free good lo. Cause no need to change myself so tiring. :D If call for service for tyre change, at least need to pay $40 or more!

Edited by 13177

if lock keys inside they also come.

damn it, I called a locksmith once even though I had AA member, didn't know they can unlock cars as well .... Have been a member for 15 years after since I bought a FixItAgainTony for my first car ! :wacko:

yes, confirm tyre change FOC - Membership benefits. Oh yes and they can also fix the puncture but this is chargeable.

If cannot solve on the spot, will tow it to any workshop you specify

Edited by Othello

Turbocharged

AA also can "break open" you car lock?! :blink: If the tyre change is free, looks like quite good to join their member. Cause if tyre got flat and if they can come and change for free good lo. Cause no need to change myself so tiring. :D If call for service for tyre change, at least need to pay $40 or more!

Quite frankly, for tyre change I would do myself rather than call them and wait -

EXCEPT for if got two flat at same time, raining or something else go wrong...

Can change tyre in around 10 minutes, so its really not worth the effort to call. Just have the membership for emergencies...

Also got free jump start (but I also keep cables in my car anyway)

Quite frankly, for tyre change I would do myself rather than call them and wait -

Users of this service usually [gorgeous] ya, sometimes the waiting time can be quite long especially peak hours

Supercharged

Good for lady drivers traveling alone, or mothers with children in car..... :D

EXCEPT for if got two flat at same time, raining or something else go wrong...

Can change tyre in around 10 minutes, so its really not worth the effort to call. Just have the membership for emergencies...

Also got free jump start (but I also keep cables in my car anyway)

Sometimes depends on where the car tyre got flat. If the car tyre is flat in the carpark or somewhere there traffic is not too heavy, still can change ourselves. But if the service is free and i am not in a hurry, i might rather wait as too lazy to change myself. [:p]

Edited by 13177

Good for lady drivers traveling alone, or mothers with children in car..... :D

my wife will surely appreciate this service.

then again, the membership if tied to my name, when i call them and my wife driving the flat tyre car, they still entertained?

then again, the membership if tied to my name, when i call them and my wife driving the flat tyre car, they still entertained?

nope. Like you said, membership = name = face. That said you can use it when you are in someone else's car, member must always be present regardless of car ownership.

Supercharged

When the AA guy come, you wife can buff him that you went toilet or drink kopi....

And your AA card leave in the car at all times. :D

nope. Like you said, membership = name = face. That said you can use it when you are in someone else's car, member must always be present regardless of car ownership.

oh meaning the membership card must be produced? so if my wife produced my card is it still valid? i mean this makes sense for those periods when I am on business trip and my wife driving my car.

↡ Advertisement