AA car evaluation report for the second hand car I'm buying

Newdrive

I usually insist on AA while the 2nd hand car dealers will almost always resist, due to AA's merciless reputation. So usually I will put a small downpayment which is fully refundable should the car fails the inspection and/ or is found to be involved in a serious accident (carving out for minor wear and tear issues), I pay for AA inspection fee. It has worked well for me over the years.

You are still taking risks but if dealer agrees to arrangement, it means he/ she is fairly confident of the overall condition of the car, otherwise you should walk.

Too bad noone can tell me the real odometer reading.... Buying from AD used car arm, I would consider if it is the same make, otherwise no point paying the premium.

happen to me before. i request AA inspection. woah! immediately the whole company of dealers give me s--t. say not convenient lah, STA/VICOM or whatever nearer their place lah, all the same STA more convenient lah, super turn off.

later they compromise and said that if i agree that no major accident (minor one no count), then i have to take the car.

↡ Advertisement

happen to me before. i request AA inspection. woah! immediately the whole company of dealers give me s--t. say not convenient lah, STA/VICOM or whatever nearer their place lah, all the same STA more convenient lah, super turn off.

later they compromise and said that if i agree that no major accident (minor one no count), then i have to take the car.

Used car dealers hate AA as they are super ngeow and as AA is away from the used car auto belt, my guess is there is likely to be diminished influence over the "final" report. i am not sure how long STA takes to imspect the car but AA takes hours to complete the check, test drive and all.

totally same as what i was told too :angry:

Edited by Jano

In this case just go to other dealers. No need die die must buy from them la.

Supercharged

And you agreed to that? Even minor problem you don't mind?

i have a Qn....

i see TS post, what is normally the scenario for a repair at RHS of front panel?

kena buang by others? cant be own park car so laoya?

i have a Qn....

i see TS post, what is normally the scenario for a repair at RHS of front panel?

kena buang by others? cant be own park car so laoya?

u looking at the first post report or another one which i posted here?

i didn't get the jazz in the end. bought a vios.

Supercharged

sounds like an insult to STA [furious]

by the way is STA gahmen ownd [confused]

Not really. Another way to look at it - cars going to STA for inspection can get it passed more easily lor... [laugh]

STA - the "ST" stands for Singapore Technologies. So gahmen owned or not, you should be able to guess lah.

Never bought a used car before but am curious about the inspection process.

Would a 2nd hand car dealer normally allow a potential buyer to send a car for inspection? Does a deposit need to be placed beforehand? If a deposit is required, then it may be difficult to get it back if the sale does not go through.

In this case, would buying 2nd hand cars from AD (eg : Sime Darby, Premium) be safer?

1. A small (refundable) deposit is normal

2. If the dealer refuses, RUN away from the car - there's plenty out there, no need to go with a dealer you can't trust

3. be very specific about what you expect in different scenarios of what the report shows, and have it in writing.

The cost of whatever breakdown or maintenance is needed in that 1 extra year will definitely be cheaper than the inflated prices they charge...

You can change like 5 or 6 gear boxes with the amount of money you save.

For jap makes few k diff per year. So 6 yo car be xtra 10-20k if buy from others...

I got a Ford Focus from Sime Darby. Their asking is the same as market rate, but not higher. In fact, after discount, it is below market rate.

Take the current market for example.

Ford Focus Dec 2009 $79,800 Sime Darby 35K mileage

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...495&DL=2303

Ford Focus Jul 2009 #72,888 (2 Owner) 59K mileage

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...227&DL=2253

Ford Focus Apr 2009 $71,800 70K mileage

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...120&DL=2123

If you compare the three cars, AD prices is not higher than market rate.

Please take in account of

1) Number of mileage

2) Number of Owner

No leh, check used crv n u would notice the great diff!

woah its a lucky thing that i read this post.. i already requested the car that i want to buy to be sent to AA for inspection. the car dealer is actually a friend of mine.. so he's quite ok with it.. he even said that if the inspection comes back with signs of accident, he will refund my deposit.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, just received AA report on a car from dealer. Toyota Altis, slightly less than 100K mileage, 7+year car. Dealer saying the leakages are normal for a car of this age, is that right? Thanks guys!

post-122135-1356589918_thumb.jpg

Supercharged

Hi, just received AA report on a car from dealer. Toyota Altis, slightly less than 100K mileage, 7+year car. Dealer saying the leakages are normal for a car of this age, is that right? Thanks guys!

No such thing!

From the report, its seems there are other problems as well....so do re-consider.

↡ Advertisement