AA car evaluation report for the second hand car I'm buying

Newdrive

Hi, just received AA report on a car from dealer. Toyota Altis, slightly less than 100K mileage, 7+year car. Dealer saying the leakages are normal for a car of this age, is that right? Thanks guys!

u can actually ask AA's opinion of this car.

they cannot tell u good or bad but they can hint to you whether those things they found whether or not wear and tear or something a little more then that.

so give them a call now and ask.

Edited by Newdrive

Twincharged

Hi, just received AA report on a car from dealer. Toyota Altis, slightly less than 100K mileage, 7+year car. Dealer saying the leakages are normal for a car of this age, is that right? Thanks guys!

Its normal for a car of this age that is not maintained properly. Looks like got rear ended before as well.

Neutral Newbie

thanks for the comments.

Car has apparently been agent maintained, dealer has offered to fix by replacing seals etc. But insists nothing major, and not very reasonable to expect a 7yr old car not to have such wear-and-tear. AA said these could be wear-and-tear, is OK condition, no major accidents.

Should I bring the car to AA for a follow-up check to ensure the faults have been rectified?

Should I bring the car to AA for a follow-up check to ensure the faults have been rectified?

i will advise you to bring a WS and give them the findings from AA to check. then do servicing at the same time.

cheaper lah [laugh]

hey guys, i recently gotten my car checked at AA as well.. but i realised that AA missed out on a few issues, like for eg the alignment when i got it, it was very off, the steering cone also got problem cause when i try to turn my steering wheel, i can feel the bottom of the car clicking.. i dunno which part but i think its something to do with the steering cone..

hey guys, i recently gotten my car checked at AA as well.. but i realised that AA missed out on a few issues, like for eg the alignment when i got it, it was very off, the steering cone also got problem cause when i try to turn my steering wheel, i can feel the bottom of the car clicking.. i dunno which part but i think its something to do with the steering cone..

if u kiasu... after AAS u can also send in to a WS (of cos u pay lah).

AAS also left out that one my my rear brake caliper got problem. sighs.

Quick question, when you insist on AA inspection and external workshop check, is the costs borne by dealer or buyer? What if a direct owner sale?

its borne by the buyer, any inspection you ask for, its usually borne by the buyer.

Wear and tear I think unavoidable, just have to factor into your price, but accident car so I think you should avoid, especially since second hand Altis not exactly rare.

its borne by the buyer, any inspection you ask for, its usually borne by the buyer.

At the end of the day, even though say buyer bear, but just factor into the offer price lor.

You must understand that AA does not take the car apart, so they cannot see things that are layered inside, they don't even remove the wheels to check calipers, brakepads etc. I think that is reasonable unless the AA fees are more and they have more time. But generally I think they are really more diligent than say STA. AA also tops my list of inspection places for resale cars.

Neutral Newbie

image.jpg

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a used 2008 Nissan Latio, based on the above report from AA, is it a deal breaker?

Are there any sign and indication of a major accident or these are just normal wear and tear for a 5 yr old vehicle? Tyia

Supercharged

Vehicle had been sprayed painted before may not necessary be accident caused. Maybe the owner sprayed it to change its colour.. [laugh] The report didn't say much about about damage from any accident or what-so-ever.

The engine oil problem seems serious thou...

The other 3 points can be repaired and could be due to wear & tear.

What's the mileage for this 5 year old Latio anyway ?

knocking sound during turning is due to the steering coupling which is a design flaw, no safety issue. cost of replacement is about $450+ without labour.

unusual for latio rear to have excessive toe in, possibility of worn shocks.

Neutral Newbie

Vehicle had been sprayed painted before may not necessary be accident caused. Maybe the owner sprayed it to change its colour.. [laugh] The report didn't say much about about damage from any accident or what-so-ever.

The engine oil problem seems serious thou...

The other 3 points can be repaired and could be due to wear & tear.

What's the mileage for this 5 year old Latio anyway ?

The dealer did mentioned that the paint job was touched up...so that should explain the spray painting.

Engine oil seepage, does it mean a problem with the engine? Is an affordable repair available for it :o

The mileage is 78k

Neutral Newbie

knocking sound during turning is due to the steering coupling which is a design flaw, no safety issue. cost of replacement is about $450+ without labour.

unusual for latio rear to have excessive toe in, possibility of worn shocks.

Unless theres a worn part that needs replacement, If its still safe and road worthy, I'll gladly live with the knocking sound. $450+++ to get it rectified is quite costly.

Do I need to replace all existing shocks?

Turbocharged

The dealer did mentioned that the paint job was touched up...so that should explain the spray painting.

Engine oil seepage, does it mean a problem with the engine? Is an affordable repair available for it :o

The mileage is 78k

Touch up and spray painting 2 totally different things lah. To me, I will be more worried if 1 panel has gone through spray painting but not whole car.

↡ Advertisement