Mold/Fungus on the ceiling

Donut

Supercharged

Ok, i have another compliant (today is my Complaint Day)

Last night i realised my storeroom ceiling has mold or fungus growing. Damm tulan.

Any expert advice? What should i do?

How i re-paint the ceiling? I dont mind repaintng it, since the surface area is not big and its just white colour. But first, how do i clean off the mold / fungus before repainting? What chemical should i use?

↡ Advertisement

My case lagi tulan.

Kitchen ceiling paint peeling n patchy. Call town council, guess what..... Correct....refer to hdb.

Call hdb, they came down with their special test kit --- human eye balls x 6. Correct...3 ppp.

Verdict--- not leaking sir. Just n maybe cause by room temperature becos opposite your estate got a big forest. So...moisture thing la. u try repainting see how.

You one or my one more TL?

Best would be sealant and paint. But only a temporary solution. 

It's water leakage from the upper floor that needs to redo the water proofing. Only a matter of time. 

Singapore humidity is easily 85% and above. More so when you stay around forested areas. Sealer helps but more importantly, ventilation. However, if got dampness or leak, if root cause is not resolved, nothing is permanent.

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Funky05 said:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Hi…as u can see from the pics, my bathroom ceiling, wall tiles and pipes are filled with mold…  so should I spray magic clean, and then paint 2 coats sealant and 2 coats nippon anti-mold paint?

This one is half day diy job

i do before

very easy one 

you need a paint brush (or old sponge), glove, ladder, goggles, magic clean two bottle (2nd one is in case not enough)

spray on surface then use old sponge or paint brush to bua bua abit. then use rags to wipe off 

my one very easy come out. Do finish the surface Kim Kim, damn shiok

i think your one should be the same 

dont go and paint without doing this bleach job 

I didn’t paint after that

• Praise 3

24 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Singapore humidity is easily 85% and above. More so when you stay around forested areas. Sealer helps but more importantly, ventilation. However, if got dampness or leak, if root cause is not resolved, nothing is permanent.

Sure boh?

I am looking at my Tanita thermometer now.  It shows 78%

49 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Sure boh?

Today is a raining day and your reading is 78% not bad boy. Of course if you are living facing west, hot days can be even lower. 

Just now, Victor68 said:

Today is a raining day and your reading is 78% not bad boy. Of course if you are living facing west, hot days can be even lower. 

On a hot day, it never exceeds 60%.

It is far cry from your 85% le.

51 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Sure boh?

thermometer is one thing or RH (relative humidity) but when people bathe with piping hot water it becomes almost 100% RH and without proper ventilation or closed door all the way, it will affect the integrity of the ceiling board , for sure need to sandpaper or scrape off the old paint (make it bare like) and then apply a layer of putty (preferably those plaster type called Stopping Compound) , then paint sealant and then the paint and of course proper ventilation .... my 2 cents   ...... if not back to square 1 again all over  

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

On a hot day, it never exceeds 60%.

It is far cry from your 85% le.

Hmmm so if you have tuned in to radio daily weather forecast, they will tell you between 65 to 85% on average. Not sure they are referring to your home and the outside readings. I need to check with them. 

Turbocharged
On 8/30/2021 at 9:17 AM, Funky05 said:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Hi…as u can see from the pics, my bathroom ceiling, wall tiles and pipes are filled with mold…  so should I spray magic clean, and then paint 2 coats sealant and 2 coats nippon anti-mold paint?

Bro, you already got answer. And this kind of things must be done once every year or few years depending on your utility and condition. We never use our Master room toilet cos of Fengshui and we only do it during the house is painted. But for common toilet, we paint it (I donno how often we do it), but most of the time after shower, we just take a mop to go over it on the floor and walls. It last a long long time and the toilet is completely mold free on the floor and wall is very clean. So maintenance does the job

Turbocharged

Humidity

Relative humidity shows a fairly uniform pattern throughout the year and does not vary much from month to month (Fig 7).  Its daily variation is more marked, varying from more than 90% in the morning just before sunrise and falling to around 60% in the mid-afternoon on days when there is no rain. The mean annual relative humidity is 83.9%. Relative humidity frequently reaches 100% during prolonged periods of rain.

image.thumb.png.7d08377bb209fcb43c32fe76c04fcbe4.png

http://www.weather.gov.sg/climate-climate-of-singapore/

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Hmmm so if you have tuned in to radio daily weather forecast, they will tell you between 65 to 85% on average. Not sure they are referring to your home and the outside readings. I need to check with them. 

I don’t listen to radio 

5 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Humidity

Relative humidity shows a fairly uniform pattern throughout the year and does not vary much from month to month (Fig 7).  Its daily variation is more marked, varying from more than 90% in the morning just before sunrise and falling to around 60% in the mid-afternoon on days when there is no rain. The mean annual relative humidity is 83.9%. Relative humidity frequently reaches 100% during prolonged periods of rain.

image.thumb.png.7d08377bb209fcb43c32fe76c04fcbe4.png

http://www.weather.gov.sg/climate-climate-of-singapore/

This is more to outdoor.

Indoor unlikely exceed 85% on rainy day.

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

This is more to outdoor.

Indoor unlikely exceed 85% on rainy day.

Indoor has so many different perimeters that will affect the RH lah. Even for outdoor. Obviously we are talking about average in tropical tiny island state. I am sure you have better idea why singapore has high humidity.  

3 hours ago, Funky05 said:

Started at 9am, cleared all the mould multiple times and let it dry

2 coats of sealer + drying + 2 coats of Nippon anti mould + drying 

Ended about 3pm

6 hours ? But took multiple breaks in between.. 

Thanks for the details...one more question...how many can of beer was needed to stay motivated?😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1