Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic | 52 praises

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Buzzzz
  • Buzzzz
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi bros,

I am planning a road trip up north with few families.
about 3-4 cars and am considering we need the walkie talkie for the drive journey.
any bros here know is there anywhere we can find walkie-talkie for T-loan? need abt 3 sets for a week.

hope bros with experience can share. E.g. which range type is suitable etc.
thanks much.

Edited by Buzzzz, 07 October 2012 - 01:13 AM.

Chickenfarm and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi bros,

about 3-4 cars and am considering we need the walkie talkie for the drive journey.
any bros here know is there anywhere we can find walkie-talkie for T-loan? need abt 3 sets for a week.

thanks much.

Keep it out of sight of MIW when up north.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hi bros,

thanks much.

Last time we use wt fr road trips. Mainly to keep in touch when we get seperated n all no gps.

Nowadays all got gps so no prob of getting lost n if really need to tok we just use our mobile phones as we just switch to roam.

If u still wan wt just get those basic motorola abt $100 plus a pair. Get 2pr if u need 4 sets n prog all to same channel.

Just remember range is not so good in built up areas n better in open areas. Carry spare batteries depending how much u using them.

Ty cn also b used when all groups seperate in shopping centre fr shopping n eating n cn contact when all wan to regroup n move to next location.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Using non-approved walkie-talkie is a big offence.
Approved in SG doesn't mean approved in MY.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

PATRTAN
  • PATRTAN
    Clutched
    Author Image

keep it out of sight when going through custom clearance (sing and malaysia). most of the sets are not legal to used in Singapore and Malaysia. I was stop in Tuas check point some years ago for having walkie talkie in my car. they ask me to contact IDA and I was given a warning not to used it in Singapore.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Tcx607
  • Tcx607
    4th Gear
    Author Image

All drivers should not use walkie talkie in both SIN & MY immigration.
Also, no hp should be used. Respect the rules and regulations of immigration.
there is sign board refrain from using hp and talking at immigration. Walkie Talkie likewise.
If you caught using hp or walkie talkie, they will definitely interrogate you or make issue with your equipment.
Do it once, make it good

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

All drivers should not use walkie talkie in both SIN & MY immigration.
Also, no hp should be used. Respect the rules and regulations of immigration.
there is sign board refrain from using hp and talking at immigration. Walkie Talkie likewise.
If you caught using hp or walkie talkie, they will definitely interrogate you or make issue with your equipment.

oh did not know cannot use hp at immigration. Thanks

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

If we wanna buy a set, how do we know that set is legal to use? Look out for the IDA sticker on the set?

Chickenfarm praised this

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

TameDriver
  • TameDriver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My driving kakis and I always remind each other to switch off our WTs before clearing immigrations, both ways.
And don't be seen using hp too. Give them your full attention to avoid looking suspicious.
Chickenfarm praised this
Positive people also have negative thoughts,
They just don't let those thoughts grow & destroy them.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

and also take note that cameras (including carcams) are a no-no at immigration counters too.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If we wanna buy a set, how do we know that set is legal to use? Look out for the IDA sticker on the set?

as long as on FRS frequency, its not regulated so no need IDA approval.

anything more than 5w is regulated and needs to be registered (meaning you need to pay subscription)

Chickenfarm praised this

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Rncw
  • Premium member
    Rncw
    Supercharged
    Author Image

yes...must have IDA sticker on the set.

i kena once, and want me to send to IDA for approval....but i throw the set away....bot from simlim twr some times back...i ask why is it legal to be sold? and if not, why no enforcement? consumers like me i dunno wat???
we must fight, to run away!

"Ayu-chan, if I cannot be your husband, I'll be your step-father..."

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

yes...must have IDA sticker on the set.

i kena once, and want me to send to IDA for approval....but i throw the set away....bot from simlim twr some times back...i ask why is it legal to be sold? and if not, why no enforcement? consumers like me i dunno wat???

just look at the market ... how many mobile phone handsets out there without IDA sticker ??

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

TameDriver
  • TameDriver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hi bros,

thanks much.

Can try rental but not cost effective.
If you have regular groups of friends that you drive up north with, it would be cost wise to purchase your own.
We ever tried the cheap Motorola ( <$110 ) sets but found that they are only suitable for those who drive close in a convoy.
For us, we are used to depart together but once we hit MY, we would drive independently to a preplanned
destination. So, we got the Yuzu sets that are comparable to Motorola ( >$400 ) but lower in cost.

Edited by TameDriver, 07 October 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Can try rental but not cost effective.
If you have regular groups of friends that you drive up north with, it would be cost wise to purchase your own.
We ever tried the cheap Motorola ( <$110 ) sets but found that they are only suitable for those who drive close in a convoy.
For us, we are used to depart together but once we hit MY, we would drive independently to a preplanned
destination. So, we got the Yuzu sets that are comparable to Motorola ( >$300 ) but lower in cost.

usually these FRS sets will give you about 30m 50m only ... the advertised 2km range is out of the question !!

even the Motorola Pacer can't give longer range.

but take note, when using FRS sets, the freq is a "free" so as long as someone else is using a set programmed to the same channel, TS will be making lots of new friends along the way.

TS want to borrow ? PM me .... my sets are sitting in the cupboard ... as too poor to buy the AAA batteries needed to run them.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

TameDriver
  • TameDriver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif those that need AA or AAA batteries quite ineffective except when driving one infront of the other.
The Yusu set uses rechargeable lithium batt and range is abt 5km. So, we just need to recharge every or alternate nights.
Usually our daily mileage is 500-600 km.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif those that need AA or AAA batteries quite ineffective except when driving one infront of the other.
The Yusu set uses rechargeable lithium batt and range is abt 5km. So, we just need to recharge every or alternate nights.
Usually our daily mileage is 500-600 km.

maybe you can elaborate on the Yusu set ? model ? specs ? webby ?

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There are no walkie talkies that are universally approved between SG and MY. Use it at your own risk and keep it out of sight of MIW.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

TameDriver
  • TameDriver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

maybe you can elaborate on the Yusu set ? model ? specs ? webby ?

Sori, wrong spelling . It's Yaesu. Loan out the set to a friend. Shall post the details once I get it back in abt a wk's time.
Actually TS can google the sets himself.....so many models. Some are cheaper if ordered in bulk.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Sori, wrong spelling . It's Yaesu. Loan out the set to a friend. Shall post the details once I get it back in abt a wk's time.
Actually TS can google the sets himself.....so many models. Some are cheaper if ordered in bulk.

its just that i am using Motorola's Pacer but my active distance is still very limited, just like the AAA battery models. only thing is that the Pacer lasts longer.

I am also interested in a longer range walkie talkie.

Back to Accessories  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Walkie, Talkie, Road, Trip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users