Walkie Talkie for Road Trip

Buzzzz

Twincharged

Sori, wrong spelling . It's Yaesu. Loan out the set to a friend. Shall post the details once I get it back in abt a wk's time.

Actually TS can google the sets himself.....so many models. Some are cheaper if ordered in bulk.

its just that i am using Motorola's Pacer but my active distance is still very limited, just like the AAA battery models. only thing is that the Pacer lasts longer.

I am also interested in a longer range walkie talkie.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

...i ask why is it legal to be sold? and if not, why no enforcement? consumers like me i dunno wat???

Because SG is a free port, hence anybody can import things here to be sold.... [:(]

Supercharged

Sori, wrong spelling . It's Yaesu. Loan out the set to a friend. Shall post the details once I get it back in abt a wk's time.

Then what about those WT that travel convey groups used? They organized convey trips regularly and hence must be using powerful and reliable sets for their business...we could buy what they buy mah...

Road trip for 3-4 cars without WT is still possible.

Drive within speed limits, maintain line of sight, prearranged stops for breaks, set timing for regrouping, all HP with roaming.

I did thought of buying those Motorola WT from Challenger few years ago, however changed my mind.

Imo having the WTs for 3-4 cars is very convenient. Not so much on the highway, unless someone needs the loo, but more on the small roads while finding makan places, finding carparks, etc... [cool]

• Praise 1

Don't buy those approved by IDA, useless talkies. Buy those not approved ones, you get better coverage overall. Brands like Midland Radio are good.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

hi bros,

I am planning a road trip up north with few families.

about 3-4 cars and am considering we need the walkie talkie for the drive journey.

any bros here know is there anywhere we can find walkie-talkie for T-loan? need abt 3 sets for a week.

hope bros with experience can share. E.g. which range type is suitable etc.

thanks much.

For a three week period, will not be worth renting.

But if is 3-4 families only, I don't think you will really need. Quite an easy group to manage, just use roaming on phones. Or if you have spare mobiles - get a prepaid malaysian SIM card, then can freely call amongst all the cars as and when need.

• Praise 1

Don't buy those approved by IDA, useless talkies. Buy those not approved ones, you get better coverage overall. Brands like Midland Radio are good.

Its not approved cos too powerful n might interfere wh other uses nearby.

Also approved cannot cross to protected freq like police army etc. If u disturb these freq n ty catch good luck to u. Hahaha.

Supercharged

But if is 3-4 families only, I don't think you will really need. Quite an easy group to manage, just use roaming on phones. Or if you have spare mobiles - get a prepaid malaysian SIM card, then can freely call amongst all the cars as and when need.

This is quite true. I ever lead conveys of 3-4 cars to Malaysia. We never use walkie-talkies at all. Before we set off, I will brief the drivers of the route, and order of move. Every driver will be task to look after the car behind him so that there is no break of gap.

If any urgent need to stop or change route by any drivers, we communicate by mobile phone. [:)]

just look at the market ... how many mobile phone handsets out there without IDA sticker ??

No need to have IDA stickers. The model needs to have a IDA approval code can liao.

Last time when they advertise for mobile phones...they will show the IDA approval code as well...now they dun do that anymore.

• Praise 1

Then what about those WT that travel convey groups used? They organized convey trips regularly and hence must be using powerful and reliable sets for their business...we could buy what they buy mah...

I started out driving to MY with organised convoys ( > 15 yrs ago ) - was a novice then..... [;)]

They used Motorola, those solid ones that one can use as a selfdefence weapon. :D

Each time >20 cars....the organisers used some sort of relay device with antennas fixed to the first and last vehicles.

This is quite true. I ever lead conveys of 3-4 cars to Malaysia. We never use walkie-talkies at all. Before we set off, I will brief the drivers of the route, and order of move. Every driver will be task to look after the car behind him so that there is no break of gap.

If any urgent need to stop or change route by any drivers, we communicate by mobile phone. [:)]

Actually if u have a small group of experienced and frequent driving buddies, there's hardly any need for WTs,

just remember to charge our HPs daily.

Same here, we briefed each other on route to take and place to meet, that's it.

Only need WTs when we have newbie or totally new unfamilar places to explore.

keep it out of sight when going through custom clearance (sing and malaysia). most of the sets are not legal to used in Singapore and Malaysia. I was stop in Tuas check point some years ago for having walkie talkie in my car. they ask me to contact IDA and I was given a warning not to used it in Singapore.

Did they confisticate your WT?

• Praise 1

its just that i am using Motorola's Pacer but my active distance is still very limited, just like the AAA battery models. only thing is that the Pacer lasts longer.

I am also interested in a longer range walkie talkie.

Ok, found out that the set I mentioned is not for use in SG (not approved). Don't wish to get others into trouble.

Hint: look around in Sim Lim Sq.

Edited by TameDriver

Ok, found out that the set I mentioned is not for use in SG (not approved). Don't wish to get others into trouble.

Hint: look around in Sim Lim Sq.

Level 2 Sim Lim Sq has very good model like kenwood.

• Praise 1

Level 2 Sim Lim Sq has very good model like kenwood.

No need to buy, there are 2 methods you can used

1) subscript with Singtel for internet data plan for S$15.00 per day(multi-user) or maybe msia data card for cheaper. If you have a Iphone or those smartphone

comparable with WAZE software. Name yourself actuate on the way yr friend will know your position.

2) downloads a software call "wechat" you'll can communicate like walkie talkie

Both need internet connection whereis the method 1) is a live GPS where you can see the members if you connected thru' internet otherwise

you can use as a GPS w/o internet connection.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

You can search cheap walkie talkie in Ankaka online electronic shop. There are many option there.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1