Advice needed - Car vandalised!

Sosaria

Just my bad luck today to have my car vandalised - at least that's what its classified by police (mischief to vehicle?) - and the suspect did not manage to get away; luckily delayed by security staff until police arrived.

As usual, with no bodily harm, police just take statements and let everyone go. I was only told not to take law into my own hands and to "avoid" the suspect! Apparently, vandalism of private property is pretty much "ownself" business to pursue with the courts, or drop the case. But I think this is no surprise already... even though there was a CCTV recording, according to the security.

My question to those who have suffered their car being vandalised, how is this kind of case pursued, and to what outcome?

I belive there were some cases discussed in this forum before, with video evidence captured? I was only told to get a hard copy of the police report and go to file a complaint at the sub court, which is going to be quite long drawn out, I predict, and costly.

I'm more worried this is some 'psycho' fellow who will keep a lookout for my vehicle for other mischief, so if action not taken, he may become bolder. Lodging police report is just one step to have a record in case of future problem, even if police can't do anything.

↡ Advertisement

Ask forummer Adrianli.

He has an epic tale of vandalism and his heroic quest to take the evil mastermind and criminal to task and face justice, but failed miserably due to an amazingly dense forest of bureaucracy. It's quite an epic story really.

(edited)

Ask forummer Adrianli.

He has an epic tale of vandalism and his heroic quest to take the evil mastermind and criminal to task and face justice, but failed miserably due to an amazingly dense forest of bureaucracy. It's quite an epic story really.

I've read about it, yes. And so with video etc.? I know it's a slim chance, coz even if the suspect gets punishment, there's no guarantee of compensation - which is a different matter.

But still, I feel that there are such people loose around, so if just forget about it, they'll become bolder.

Now I've seen for myself that people are really very stressed in singapore... I don't know how I offend this person, neither did he accuse me anything specific - so it's not a road rage thingy. His attitude was very much he knows he can get away with it, so does it just to release frustration - maybe he got scolded at work, threatened with job, salary loss, whatever. The open car park where it happened was quite dimly lit and deserted with only one other car (a Merc) parked there.

Edited by Sosaria

Police will classify this as civil suit. Meaning eat yourself. However, MUST teach tat idiot an lesson. If not, at least inconvenience him kao kao.

I will do the following but take some time n money:

1- lodge mag complaint at sub court.

2- engage lawyer, if police not directed to action.

3- get lawyer to issue demand letter seeking compensation n damage.

4- all things fail, get a copy of the footage (thousand n 1 way) n hunt tat idiot down.

5- stalk him, haunt him, sabor him, post hs pic, go his coy etc until he laosai.

• Praise 1

Bro, just move on, too much time and money.

My ride was vandalised by a bad client, police was called, cctv submitted. In the end was to to pursue legally on my own.

Wtf

Two months later his Nissan got a long long line from head to tail. This guy don't pay for parking, always park illegally so easy for me.

Edited by KaKiLang
  • Praise 1

Bro, just move on, too much time and money.

My ride was vandalised by a bad client, police was called, cctv submitted. In the end was to to pursue legally on my own.

Wtf

Two months later his Nissan got a long long line from head to tail. This guy don't pay for parking, always park illegally so easy for me.

This works too. I like your style.

Or may, to TS.....why dun you scratch that idiot's car (if he owns one) right in front of him. Same same. Ask him call police. [rifle]

Or may, to TS.....why dun you scratch that idiot's car (if he owns one) right in front of him. Same same. Ask him call police. [rifle]

Ha ha... no lah. His is company truck. No point. This is middle age uncle we are talking here, maybe driving daily is very frustrating, so just my bad luck. Anyway as far as law concerned, we become just two disputing parties. Law don't take sides here, no injury suffered.

Causing damage to private propert = civil suit. Police cannot action unless magistrate instruct them to open file.

Causing damage to govt or private properties = vandalism.

But if the case is tooooo high profile or serial counts, then maybe kana upgrade, but very rarely used. Eg, Michael Fay (cant spell his name). The American who vandalised many cars.

Ha ha... no lah. His is company truck. No point. This is middle age uncle we are talking here, maybe driving daily is very frustrating, so just my bad luck. Anyway as far as law concerned, we become just two disputing parties. Law don't take sides here, no injury suffered.

Haaa. Law duntake side.....hmmmmm

So vandal = get away scot free, police won't charge?

I am afraid so. Already seen it's categorised non arrestable offence. We were just advised to avoid, park further away and walk a bit! Honest,this is what the cop told me.

I was told not to take things into my own hand, but are they doing anything with all the proof I submitted?

But I tried, and patient until.......just do it wth.....mine a 9yrs old, his a 6months old. 2 yrs passed, nothing happen.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I was told not to take things into my own hand, but are they doing anything with all the proof I submitted?

But I tried, and patient until.......just do it wth.....mine a 9yrs old, his a 6months old. 2 yrs passed, nothing happen.

Yup, but I don't want to be the aggressive party. I know things will look bad for me if I turn on aggression even if the other guy started it. In fact, he seem to know it and try to provoke me, coz he knows damaging private property is small matter compared to actually laying hand on somebody.

I'll just go to get hard copy of report and sub court tomorrow to lodge complaint, see how it goes. Damage to vehicle is not so great really, come to think of it - but danger is this guy is still lurking where I regularly go and park so got to put in some record. If he had calmed down and apologised I would've just waved it off. But I fear he is like a bit mentally unbalanced - like the paranoia type, exhibiting two personalities.

I used to laugh at people who, at the slightest argument, whipped out cam/vid phones to film each other... but now I know why!! Video evidence is very important in cases like this, especially close quarters where sound can be captured. I forgot to do all this while waiting for police to arrive.

Can tell you one thing though, even I don't feel very safe here anymore - and what if my family members confronted with this kind of person? Sad that our environment is turning out to be like those big cities elsewhere. Ironically the location is not even what we would consider "dangerous" or "risky"; neither was it very late at night. Just deserted because it was already end of the working day.

Edited by Sosaria

If this man had done an Amy Cheong, he'd now have to run road out of Singapore. Unfortunately, he only vandalised your car. So only you and your family feel threatened now. I feel for you, bro.

Unfortunately, "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". (Edmund Burke)

I think if you let this matter rest, this guy WILL feel emboldened and escalate his violence. In order to nip it in the bud, you may want to consider some of the abovementioned actions (Tiger1 gave some sensible and clear directions in post 4, as well as KakiLang in post 5).

Just my 2 cents.

vandalism only for govt property, mischief for your case. loge a mag complaint, then police investigate and will refer the case back to mag to decide.

Must cane these ppl butt man!!! Wat to do our law draw the line of public and Pte so clearly...Sux thumb

Bro can share where this happen?

Just my bad luck today to have my car vandalised - at least that's what its classified by police (mischief to vehicle?) - and the suspect did not manage to get away; luckily delayed by security staff until police arrived.

As usual, with no bodily harm, police just take statements and let everyone go. I was only told not to take law into my own hands and to "avoid" the suspect! Apparently, vandalism of private property is pretty much "ownself" business to pursue with the courts, or drop the case. But I think this is no surprise already... even though there was a CCTV recording, according to the security.

My question to those who have suffered their car being vandalised, how is this kind of case pursued, and to what outcome?

I belive there were some cases discussed in this forum before, with video evidence captured? I was only told to get a hard copy of the police report and go to file a complaint at the sub court, which is going to be quite long drawn out, I predict, and costly.

I'm more worried this is some 'psycho' fellow who will keep a lookout for my vehicle for other mischief, so if action not taken, he may become bolder. Lodging police report is just one step to have a record in case of future problem, even if police can't do anything.

Is your car plate MID or QY or QX, if yes, then its a public property and the culprit will surely be jailed and caned under Singapore Law. If you car is singapore-plate, please go one corner suck thumb. Singapore got a very very strange set of law.

↡ Advertisement