More NS defaulters in 2011 than in 2010

MacDuck

Article: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1231508/1/.html

More NS defaulters in 2011 than in 2010: Ng Eng Hen

By Monica Kotwani | Posted: 15 October 2012 2307 hrs

SINGAPORE: 259 Singaporeans and permanent residents (PRs) failed to enlist for National Service (NS) or return after their exit permits expired last year.

Of them, 78 were PRs.

This was an increase from the 204 NS defaulters in 2010.

In 2010, 148 of the defaulters were Singaporeans, while 56 were PRs.

Defence Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen provided the six-year breakdown, from 2006 to 2011, of NS defaulter cases in a written parliamentary response to a question by Member of Parliament for Aljunied Group Representation Constituency, Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap.

Mr Faisal also wanted to know how many were resident and overseas Singaporeans.

Dr Ng said his ministry could not provide the updated place of residence for the defaulters as their whereabouts are unknown.

- CNA/xq

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

I think because the fine for defaulting is not high, so the SG rich parents just let their sons default NS.

For PR, they should be rich families too and can afford to relocate their sons in their home country easily, hence just default lah.

Supercharged

ne'er say if ish native born sgrean or not

They dare not say more, wait get more questions...!

Some more this question was asked by a opposition MP! [laugh]

ne'er say if ish native born sgrean or not

259 Singaporeans and permanent residents (PRs) failed to enlist for National Service (NS) or return after their exit permits expired last year.

Of them, 78 were PRs

Proportion of General population that is PR = 16.1%

Proportion of NS defaulters that are PR in 2011 = 30.1%

Proportion of NS defaulters that are PR in 2010 = 37%

What would be interesting would be to see someone do a study to see what causes the defaults. But I doubt will ever happen.

Neutral Newbie

this list also excludes those who 'legitmately' siam-ed NS right?

i see so many foreign colleagues...raise their kid here...when turn legal age to serve ns, they ship their kids overseas.........

259 Singaporeans and permanent residents (PRs) failed to enlist for National Service (NS) or return after their exit permits expired last year.

Of them, 78 were PRs

er ya... so still never state native born sgrean or not right?

Supercharged

Proportion of General population that is PR = 16.1%

Proportion of NS defaulters that are PR in 2011 = 30.1%

Proportion of NS defaulters that are PR in 2010 = 37%

What would be interesting would be to see someone do a study to see what causes the defaults. But I doubt will ever happen.

Why need to do study to find out? The answer is so obvious....! [:(]

Why need to do study to find out? The answer is so obvious....! [:(]

Is it? Is the answer really obvious, or do you think there might be more at play?

1. Money?

2. Gay and scared of army?

3. Conscientious objector?

4. Truely moved on in life? (eg - maybe lived overseas since 1 or 2 and has never returned to Singapore)

5. Sporting / education opportunities that will be forfeited if do NS?

I suspect the answer isn't as straight forward as you think.

Is it? Is the answer really obvious, or do you think there might be more at play?

1. Money?

2. Gay and scared of army?

3. Conscientious objector?

4. Truely moved on in life? (eg - maybe lived overseas since 1 or 2 and has never returned to Singapore)

5. Sporting / education opportunities that will be forfeited if do NS?

I suspect the answer isn't as straight forward as you think.

How could you misse the most important possible reason. TIME!

By the way, I serve the full 2 & the half years! Not to mention all the lost opportunity due to In-camp which seems to always crash with something critical.

You know how tulan I feel when I saw pictures of my collegue (should have been me going) go ski in the mountains & go pub with hot eastern European Collegues & others while I feed mostique in the field, with clothes that have not ben change for 5 days in our tropical weather....

Anyway, I think there should still be NS, but I think 1.5 years is the sweet spot. Nut now already very good, 2 years (shorter if you pass NAFA), & 5 days week.

That is not the most tulan, most tulan is eveytime you came back from ICT, the collague think you came back from Holidays! Amazing right, me being the only person my department of about 10 people that need to do NS.

Edited by Kiadaw

this list also excludes those who 'legitmately' siam-ed NS right?

i see so many foreign colleagues...raise their kid here...when turn legal age to serve ns, they ship their kids overseas.........

Then later come back and apply for PR on their own again. Repeat and rinse. <_< i know of quite a few Indonesian chinese who did that. Won't be surprised if the PRCs monkey see.

Supercharged

Then later come back and apply for PR on their own again. Repeat and rinse. <_< i know of quite a few Indonesian chinese who did that. Won't be surprised if the PRCs monkey see.

Yes, correct. This is their trick. It works usually because our govt allows it.... :angry:

Some came back and marry Singaporean women. Like that sure can get back PR lah.

Yes, correct. This is their trick. It works usually because our govt allows it.... :angry:

Some came back and marry Singaporean women. Like that sure can get back PR lah.

Wouldn't be so sure if I were you...

SG govt tends to have a long and vindictive memory from what I have seen

Wouldn't be so sure if I were you...

SG govt tends to have a long and vindictive memory from what I have seen

Good memory only used on local singaporeans. Rich foreigners, PR.. i don't think so...

That is not the most tulan, most tulan is eveytime you came back from ICT, the collague think you came back from Holidays! Amazing right, me being the only person my department of about 10 people that need to do NS.

That is so true. They think you just had a break and can pile more work on you. They didn't know the work you did during ICT is more siong than in office [mad]

↡ Advertisement