Are you particular about Country of Manufacture?

Cerano

Given the recent thread on MRTs from PRC, ive been wondering are most people bothered by country of manufacture when buying expensive goods?

For example tvs or fridges? I for one prefer made in japan or europe and would be happy to pay a premium for that.

↡ Advertisement

I'm quite fine with the country of manufacturer but it had to be a well known brand for eg. Sony, Samsung, Iphone, Honda, Toyota etc

I believe a well known brand will try uphold it reputation as much as possible even when out of its country of origin

IMO this a no brainer question. It's all down to reputation, after sales service & parts. When it comes to purchasing whether it's a train or a car it's all about buying within budget. Country of manufacture is just one of the factors for consideration. The overall package is still what customers are after.

About the state purchasing of the trains, everyone got their say which I think it's a pain. Nparks purchase too good a bike that is costly ppl also have their say. IMO it's waste of time reading into these comments.

Of course it is important.........'cos many MCFers keep saying that my Altis is from Thai-yota, not Toyota........ [:p][laugh]

Agree.

NParks buys made-in-UK bicycles, people comprain.

SMRT buys made-in-China trains, oso people comprain.

Ministers buy Merc S-Class for personal use, lagi people comprain.

Top-30% HNW individuals chiong for diminishing COEs to get / change their high-end cars, people comprain of being squeezed out.

A country of comprainers?

But one stand that I will make here is: Singapore's public transport should not be based on made-in-China trains, buses, or taxis. Too much uncertainty on RELIABILITY and SAFETY that will impact the public/masses. Massive delays that will cripple our public transport system!

We do NOT want that in a first world country.

Agree.

NParks buys made-in-UK bicycles, people comprain.

SMRT buys made-in-China trains, oso people comprain.

Ministers buy Merc S-Class for personal use, lagi people comprain.

Top-30% HNW individuals chiong for diminishing COEs to get / change their high-end cars, people comprain of being squeezed out.

A country of comprainers?

But one stand that I will make here is: Singapore's public transport should not be based on made-in-China trains, buses, or taxis. Too much uncertainty on RELIABILITY and SAFETY that will impact the public/masses. Massive delays that will cripple our public transport system!

We do NOT want that in a first world country.

Sounds like yet another complain too ? ^_^

Sorry can't help it hehe.

But that's beside the point.

Imho if given the options and the power to choose,

Honestly, Who would choose MIC? Or anything we deem inferior?

in the recent MRT purchase case,

I am certain gahmen got strong reason(s) to back it up,

regardless we concur or otherwise.

From the recent train breakdowns saga, it is the OPERATOR that did not give the public any confidence. Notice it is not whether where the trains are made from?

Whether it's owning a car or any electronic or mechanical product all boils down to how the owner take cares of his property. Buying from the best country does not guarantee nothing will happen throughout the ownership.

I thought car owners would understand better. If you have experience owning a couple of cars you will know some things/services you dun have to go back to AD. Some OEM parts and aftermarket parts might offer better for value or better experience to car ownership. Of course there are also bad experience. You learn from bad experience too.

Edited by Watwheels

ok im actually talking more about personal purchases.

Do you trust a MIJ or MIUSA product more than a typical MIC product?

When buying tvs and all

I more interested in the technology, price and warranty. I bought this china made LED Tv come with 3 yr warranty some more come hse exchange if got problem. For the price I am paying for LED i may only get plasma or LCD for the size. If Iphone is made in china have more faith in CHINA. No need buy extended warranty from HN or courts

Edited by Rustyz

I more interested in the technology, price and warranty. I bought this china made LED Tv come with 3 yr warranty some more come hse exchange if got problem. For the price I am paying for LED i may only get plasma or LCD for the size. If Iphone is made in china have more faith in CHINA. No need buy extended warranty from HN or courts

if its cheap eg. half the price of a normal LED tv then no need for extended warranty.

Iphones have good build but not much reliability. Each of those in my household have been changed at least 4-5 times each.

For more expensive purchases extended warranty is a must since usually problems only crop up after 3yrs

if its cheap eg. half the price of a normal LED tv then no need for extended warranty.

Iphones have good build but not much reliability. Each of those in my household have been changed at least 4-5 times each.

For more expensive purchases extended warranty is a must since usually problems only crop up after 3yrs

Warranty is to give consumer confident to build their brand. And show they are confident of their product. Why not?

What are the problems with Iphone that your family are using?

Sometimes I dun understand what ppl are trying to say. A lot of companies have moved to China for its economy potential and cheap labour. That includes companies from Japan and the US. With such a trend debating about country of origin is quite pointless. What's important is that the companies maintain their reputation/services and up keep their quality control.

TV market is now dominated by the Koreans. I wonder who still buy from MIJ. Even Apple buy the display screen and processors from them. Apple is a fantastic example. American company, parts from Korea, workforce from China. Does country of origin of the product matters to them? Their reputation and company branding matters more.

Even China made cars are moving on. Collaboration with European rivals to make cars eg. JLR with Chery to make SUVs(somewhere in this forum). China car company buying over European car maker company. We will see more and more. The trend is always changing. Debating about country of origin is more & more becoming irrelevant.

Anyway my iphone4 use from day 1 till now got 2 years liao. Only went to the repairman once to replace the return button. Like I mentioned before, product knowledge and taking care of your personal things make a difference.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged

just a heads-up : do not be fooled by the label that you see on your purchase.

some of those country of origin labels are just pasted there due to customs requirements.

i have done some "re-work" before on some popular electronic products before - meaning i have removed the "Made In China" labels from the products and pasted "Made in <some reputable country>" label instead.

but note that i am not doing this illegally as this is just contract work by the supplier.

Warranty is to give consumer confident to build their brand. And show they are confident of their product. Why not?

What are the problems with Iphone that your family are using?

Speaker issues (no sound, crackly), microphone issues, battery issues. usually recurring. The button issue is wear and tear

Then depends ba?

It's a matter of value vs acceptability.

I can live with MIC chopsticks, but car? no thanks. ^_^

+1 for me

If you are bothered by country of manufacture, then many things cannot buy liao since nowadays many many things all made in China.

↡ Advertisement