Changing steering wheel> illegal or legal?

Limck007

Neutral Newbie

I am thinking of changing steering wheel...

I tot the only way to change is> get a new steering wheel (e.g. Sparco) + usage of Quick release

Then i saw some forum/mass order merchant saying that changing of steering wheel is legal but usage of Quick release is illegal...

1) so is changing steering wheel illegal?

2) if dont use quick release, still can change steering wheel?? :crycry:

↡ Advertisement

What the heck for? You lose your airbag.

When I shop for secondhand cars, the moment I see the original airbag missing, I lose all interest.

Anyway, I found LTA's info: http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onem...on_allowed.html

Steering wheels

The installation of aftermarket steering wheels must be carried out by qualified personnel in accordance with the product manufacturer's recommendations.

Any modification to original airbag-equipped steering wheels must be carried out in consultation with the vehicle manufacturer or its agent.

Edited by Macrosszero

No problem with aftermarket steering wheel like Sparco, Momo, Nardi, Personal etc. Passed inspection like a boss.

No airbag though.

Quick release is illegal.

i find that changing steering wheel quite ugly for my personal opinion. But its still up to individual. If your car is equip with airbag features why wanna removed it? I find it a waste of time to do it.

What the heck for? You lose your airbag.

When I shop for secondhand cars, the moment I see the original airbag missing, I lose all interest.

My sentiment alike.

Friend wanna give me a MOMO steering wheel ... but the thought of bye-bye to my FM-CD-audio (volume)-controls and air bag quickly led me to politely decline his kind offer.

Neutral Newbie

Hi

My understanding on replacement of the stock airbag equipped steering wheel with a non airbag wheel will mean issues if you ever had to claim insurance in the event of accidents.

I was looking to replace my heavily worn stock Momo (airbag) with a Personal or Nardi deep corn but decided against it 2 years ago. Replaced the Momo leather rim with an original item instead to keep the airbag.

Cheers

Supercharged

I am thinking of changing steering wheel...

I tot the only way to change is> get a new steering wheel (e.g. Sparco) + usage of Quick release

Then i saw some forum/mass order merchant saying that changing of steering wheel is legal but usage of Quick release is illegal...

1) so is changing steering wheel illegal?

2) if dont use quick release, still can change steering wheel?? :crycry:

does yr car comes with air bag?

Supercharged

come with it

Then dont do it. not worth yr time and $$.

if u do it and the air bag is no longer there, your insurance company may refused to pay any claims if there's an accident in the future.

U only do it when the car does not have air bags originally.

It's up to individual. If ur original steering got all those button for your radio leave it. If it only got airbag, u can opt to change.

To install aftermarket steering wheel, need to have boss kit. Then u can attach steering wheel to boss kit then this setup is legal.

The use of quick release is in between boss kit and steering. It's a mechanism that allow you to disengage steering wheel from boss kit so that u can have more space to move in and out of driver seat...lol, at least that's for me....but this setup is illegal

Edited by Bluroblur

It's up to individual. If ur original steering got all those button for your radio leave it. If it only got airbag, u can opt to change.

To install aftermarket steering wheel, need to have boss kit. Then u can attach steering wheel to boss kit then this setup is legal.

The use of quick release is in between boss kit and steering. It's a mechanism that allow you to disengage steering wheel from boss kit so that u can have more space to move in and out of driver seat...lol, at least that's for me....but this setup is illegal

Thank for the clarification I thought ppl sacre car got stolen so they remove the steering wheel. Now I know [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

thks for the detailed explanation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neutral Newbie

Then dont do it. not worth yr time and $$.

if u do it and the air bag is no longer there, your insurance company may refused to pay any claims if there's an accident in the future.

U only do it when the car does not have air bags originally.

roger that .. will think abt it carefully

↡ Advertisement