Buying 2nd Hand Cars, Lemon Law and not getting cheated

Qwiktime

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Just wanted to know everyone's views on the new lemon law and how it affects the 2nd hand car market.

I am planning to buy my first car and postponed it till the lemon law was passed on 1st September.

Has anyone experienced any price increase because of this?

Has anyone made any complains or claims against dealers yet?

Please share your views.

Cheers!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Don't count too much on lemon .... If your used car bought has problem, dealer has the luxury of time to rectify the problem between 6-7 times. Infact, there is seem no way to demand of replacement.

Edited by Marcus28

Don't count too much on lemon .... If your used car bought has problem, dealer has the luxury of time to rectify the problem between 6-7 times. Infact, there is seem no way to demand of replacement.

Correction... consumers can request for replacement or refund (see attached)

Please note that if your car is under hire-purchase, recourse under the lemon law is against the finance company and not the car dealer directly.

Correction, consumers can go to car dealer directly (see attached LemonLawGuide_MotorVehicles.zip)

I actually bought mine about a month back, after the law has kicked in.

As much as it is touted to be pro-consumer, it actually helps the sellers somewhat.

For example, when I bought the car, I was guided through a check-list of items and was told that I have checked and they are in good order. Thinking about it, I realised it can be used by the seller to say, "Nah, you checked and signed off stating the vehicle is OK."

So make sure you bring the vehicle for a proper test, you do a proper test drive and check, check, check. Best is if it is agent maintained, have proper records that way (of course still not fool-proof).\

HTH.

Lemon law cannot fight with an experienced and trusted mechanic.

Just bring along one when getting a 2nd hand car.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the input guys, yeah went car hunting over the weekend.

Some of the dealers told me they will provide a 6 months warranty from an external warranty provider, some said they will make you sign a checklist and if anything goes wrong its not their fault.

Read through the CASE website and even spoke to one of their officers, I think no matter what the dealer will have to honor your purchase with them for the 6 months.

But I agree with Alg, bring a mechanic along best to avoid any headache later on.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input guys, yeah went car hunting over the weekend.

Some of the dealers told me they will provide a 6 months warranty from an external warranty provider, some said they will make you sign a checklist and if anything goes wrong its not their fault.

Read through the CASE website and even spoke to one of their officers, I think no matter what the dealer will have to honor your purchase with them for the 6 months.

But I agree with Alg, bring a mechanic along best to avoid any headache later on.

Cheers!

Than your mechanic must be no business type that's why got time to go shopping with u for cars.

I suggest u just bring along a experience driver will too, and this person must be trusted type wan.

hi guys, i just brough a 2nd hand car before chinese new year.

Few days later, i found out that the exhaust was not original as verify by my mechanic.

Can i get the dealer to buy me the original exhaust under lemon law?

Thanks...

Why use Lemon Law? Anything gotta do with the Law is such a hassle.

1) Ask dealer bring car down to YOUR trusted workshop, pay $80-100.

2) Don't be naive when buying a used car, I am sure there are things that need to be done. Get a quote from workshop. Range can be a few hundreds to a few k.

3) Use the quotation, bargain and deduct from the agreed sales price. Make sure put in sales contract that it is null and void, deposit to be refunded if car is not accident-free.

Edited by Alim

If I don't have a personal mechanic friend, is STA or AAS the only way?

go AAS better, they more independant