CNA: S'poreans Unable To Enjoy Work-Life Balance: Survey

Vulcann

Work-life balance is something good-to-have and by all means introduce it island-wide if possible.

But in view of the hectic schedules most of us have, it is not easy to achieve in reality even if our employers are open to it.

Ultimately one must decide what is more important: to strike a good balance by seeking a less-stressing i.e. less-paying job or be adverse to the whole concept and continue slogging till you get what you want?

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1234058/1/.html

S'poreans unable to enjoy work-life balance: survey

Posted: 29 October 2012 1112 hrs

SINGAPORE: Workers have identified overloading of work and high-pressure deadlines as the main reasons for not being able to achieve work-life balance in Singapore.

A recent survey on work-life balance in Singapore found that nearly nine out of 10 workers surveyed worked beyond their official hours.

Beyond working hours, 70 per cent chose to complete unfinished work in the office while the remaining 30 per cent chose to bring work home.

The survey by recruiter Jobstreet.com also found that only 30 per cent of the respondents claimed that their companies had initiatives in place to promote work-life balance.

45 per cent indicated that their companies pay lip service to work-life balance with policies in place just for show.

Respondents suggested corporate tax relief and enforcement of policies as steps that the government can take to encourage more companies to promote work-life balance at the workplace.

About 650 workers and 135 employers participated in the survey that was conducted in September.

- CNA/xq

↡ Advertisement

finally an article that is not bias

I think for a fair indication on how employers treat their workers, you can look at how maids are treated locally.

Edited by Altivo

There is no such thing as work life balance IMHO... Work life effectiveness should be the word to replace the so called balance... How a person work and how to lead a life effectively should be the thingy... How to achieve balance when office hours work at least 8hrs and shift work at least 12hrs? The timing of work already upset balance...

(edited)

finally an article that is not bias

I think for a fair indication on how employers treat their workers, you can look at how maids are treated locally.

Never had a maid so cannot really comment on this.

But I do see poor maids carrying prams, heavy bags of baby stuff, Aunty Lucy grocery bags, etc while both the madams and masters are happily doing their own things with their precious ones.

This attitude also applies to them having meals in foodcourts or restaurants when the stressed maids have to rein in hell-rarising infants or coax colicky babies while both the madams and masters are happily tucking in.

Maybe the maids are perceivably employed EXACTLY to do all the above and more but then they are our fellow human beings so a little respect is called for right?

Edited by Vulcann

seriously I cannot understand why parents let maid feed and carry their children on weekend outing, shouldn't they take this opportunity to build closer bonding with the child, hold them, hug them and feed them?

(edited)

seriously I cannot understand why parents let maid feed and carry their children on weekend outing, shouldn't they take this opportunity to build closer bonding with the child, hold them, hug them and feed them?

Because they subscribe to one of your theories mah...

出生一张纸,开始一辈子;毕业一张纸,奋斗一辈子;婚姻一张纸,折磨一辈子;看病一张纸,痛苦一辈子;悼词一张纸,了结一辈子;淡化这些纸,明白一辈子;忘了这些纸,快乐一辈子!

[laugh] [laugh]

But seriously I get what you trying to say but it seems that some folks treat maids as surrogates to relieve them of such "pains"...

Edited by Vulcann

45 per cent indicated that their companies pay lip service to work-life balance with policies in place just for show.

some time you watch these CEOs talking about this in public media, the staff must be laughing and cursing behind [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Jman888

Supercharged

Isn't it so bloody obvious?

With easy outreach to incoming FTs, bosses are telling us "If you don't buck up, i can easily replace you with a cheaper FT".

Isn't it so bloody obvious?

With easy outreach to incoming FTs, bosses are telling us "If you don't buck up, i can easily replace you with a cheaper FT".

Sadly the state of affairs is such that most of us will not dare ask for the work-life balance treatment from our bosses but rather just no additional workload already aw mi tor fak liao.... [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

20 years ago no one talk about work life balance even without the FT cos working late and working hard is the way to have better living, when live gets better, they want more time to enjoy hence asking to be balance :D :D

Ultimately one must decide what is more important: to strike a good balance by seeking a less-stressing i.e. less-paying job ...

Interesting! But I think this problem is not unique to singapore only.

By the way, I chose the above! [laugh] Job is not necessarily less-paying, but it's more dead-end, as in a flatter structure and not much chance for career advancement. More family time now, though, and time for hobbies. I guess the choice is up to individual.

got money, got balance, no money how to balance?

*sob* *cry*

This I like [thumbsup]

But many people don't understand lei.

Money not enuff already yet they still ask for balance [hur]

Like me day time wash my CEO saw farlorry nite time be those model masseur(so tired job)

Me where dare to ask for balance.

Sometime I wish can get a office job haiz.

U want recommend me to be your assistance(I cover your 2 more table lah) anot.

Thou govt is preaching this but in reality this can never work at least for some of us...

you dare to tell your boss about this work life balance thing?

do you dare to put your job at risk just to carry out what the govt preach?

you can have one such reason, but your boss can easily come out more than one thousand reason to terminate or replace you.

that is a fact.

↡ Advertisement