• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
458 replies to this topic | 237 praises

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

Zxcvb
  • Zxcvb
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

SINGAPORE: Singapore Customs said the number of people who violated the three-quarter-tank rule doubled last year.

It said the figure went up to about 4,000 compared to that the year before.

The rule, which has been in place since 1991, requires all motorists travelling north out of Singapore, to fill their petrol tanks to at least three-quarter full.

One driver said: "The (petrol) prices are pretty high right now. If I'm going to Malaysia, I will go with a three-quarter tank, and top up to a full tank before returning to Singapore.

"I think that's the norm -- a lot of people do that".

Another said: "Most of the time, I go in with three-quarter tank or more than three quarters, depending on the situation. I mean, since I'm going to Malaysia, I might as well top up there".

In Singapore, petrol costs about two dollars per litre, while in Malaysia, it's about RM1.90 or about 80 Singapore cents.

The price difference is why Singapore motorists are heading north to fill up their tanks.

Singapore Customs said the number of people violating the three-quarter-tank rule has been on the rise between 2008 and 2010.

Offenders face a maximum fine of S$500.

Some motorists go even further by tampering with their fuel meter.

Last year, 23 car owners were charged with that offence, down from 24 in 2009.

In 2008, there were only four such cases.

Offenders who tamper with their fuel meter face a S$5,000 fine or a year's jail. - CNA

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

Tigershark1976
  • Premium member
    Tigershark1976
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

actually, i think the fuel meter tampering is very common among the petrol shopper in JB.

I know that there are many Singaporean vehicle go into Malaysia just to pump petrol... and make a turn back to SG. i have seen sub 1.6L ride like Vios, Altis, Lancer, picanto, sunny & etc... pumping more than 30L petrol after coming out from the custom, if these car fuel level is 3/4 tank, there is no way to pump so much petrol into the fuel tank (exceptional case some mdel, eg hyundai matrix) .....

If LTA increase the random to check on the fuel meter tampering, Im very sure the numbers is not gg to be 23 in 2010.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

Darthrevan
  • Premium member
    Darthrevan
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

very obvious quite many cheated..thinking logically..how will it be worth to go in with a 42-50 litres tank for most cars and follow the 3/4 tank rule..the savings are very little..for myself only $5.50 +/- savings per trip after deducting toll charge..not even enough for a meal..hence i stop going already wink.gif

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

Nhrisuzu
  • Premium member
    Nhrisuzu
    6th Gear
    Author Image

very obvious quite many cheated..thinking logically..how will it be worth to go in with a 42-50 litres tank for most cars and follow the 3/4 tank rule..the savings are very little..for myself only $5.50 +/- savings per trip after deducting toll charge..not even enough for a meal..hence i stop going already wink.gif

i can save approx $10.. but normally go in to eat supper + wash car..

if purely go in just to pump and U-turn.. i think not worth the time taken..
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
In Loving Memory: 16.06.1952 - 11.12.2006
** i am NHR ISUZU.. call me NHR or ZU **

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

In Singapore, petrol costs about two dollars per litre, while in Malaysia, it's about RM1.90 or about 80 Singapore cents.

Wrong information. SG (foreign) registered car can only pump RON97 at RM2.50/L, which is around S$1.05/L.

This implies that the writer has not been JB before laugh.gif.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

Jl1500k
  • Premium member
    Jl1500k
    5th Gear
    Author Image

You are right pump RON97 at RM2.50/L for SG car.
Maybe TS been there but did not relise it. tongue.gif

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

Busker888
  • Premium member
    Busker888
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

You are right pump RON97 at RM2.50/L for SG car.
Maybe TS been there but did not relise it. tongue.gif

Maybe he's a Malaysian SPR

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hoytusa84
  • Hoytusa84
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I still go in quite often to pump, though only half tank. I didn't tamper the meter or sort, coz I have a friend who works at the custom and he said that they actually close one eye on slightly more than half tank! Did stopped a few times for them to check wit a slightly more than half tank and no problem faced.. biggrin.gif
STRESSED IS ONLY DESSERTS SPELT BACKWORDS.
So don't be stressed! Have some desserts!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I still go in quite often to pump, though only half tank. I didn't tamper the meter or sort, coz I have a friend who works at the custom and he said that they actually close one eye on slightly more than half tank! Did stopped a few times for them to check wit a slightly more than half tank and no problem faced.. biggrin.gif

This one I agreed. So far, I only been checked twice so far, touch wood. Between 1/2 and 3/4 mark, they will wave you on one. They where got the time to stop every car. Moreover, they just stare it from an angle not like they ask you to get out and they sit on your car to check.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

above half below 3/4 is mood dependent.

below 1/2 is gg

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

GLZT
  • Premium member
    GLZT
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Anyway, I believe there are more high tech tempering that cant be caught just by visually inspecting the car right? Like maybe the remote control is from the mobile phone or something?

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

Zxcvb
  • Zxcvb
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:05 AM

Karebu
  • Karebu
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Anyway, I believe there are more high tech tempering that cant be caught just by visually inspecting the car right? Like maybe the remote control is from the mobile phone or something?

yea definitely. i just find that theyve got a weird habit of checking passports to verify that. imo they tend to pull over ppl who frequent JB. i mean it should be more logical to check ppl who frequent JB WEEKLY instead of every other day. doing it weekly can only mean u are going in on an empty tank whereas doing it every other day is hardcore law abider.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I know there are some very simple methods of tampering with the fuel gauge and even harder to detect also. But have to sacrifice having ur fuel gauge.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Kar_lover
  • Premium member
    Kar_lover
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Wrong information. SG (foreign) registered car can only pump RON97 at RM2.50/L, which is around S$1.05/L.

This implies that the writer has not been JB before laugh.gif.

Regards,

Further correction, foreign registered vehicle can pump 95 if driver can produce Malaysian NRIC (i.e. MyKad).

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Ichibawa
  • Premium member
    Ichibawa
    5th Gear
    Author Image

They will catch even more of those flaunting the 3/4 tank rule if the officers at the immigration would stop playing with their mobile phones or talking to girls or MIA totally.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

Tom_kkh
  • Tom_kkh
    6th Gear
    Author Image

if the custom include their own ppl, they might caught more biggrin.gif

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Further correction, foreign registered vehicle can pump 95 if driver can produce Malaysian NRIC (i.e. MyKad).

There is no black and white that say so. As usual, the law has loophole and it doesn't mean it has been approved officially. The law says specifically all foreign registered cars, didn't say who is the driver (whether foreigner or Malaysian). Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Regards,

Disclaimer:

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Kar_lover
  • Premium member
    Kar_lover
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

There is no black and white that say so. As usual, the law has loophole and it doesn't mean it has been approved officially. The law says specifically all foreign registered cars, didn't say who is the driver (whether foreigner or Malaysian). Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Regards,

The regular caltex station i pump got official notice (sticker pasted at the pump) that states dat foreign reg vehicles can pump 95 is can produce MyKad.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

Tarzan666
  • Tarzan666
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Long time no go JB pump..last weekend pump surprised to see petrol RM2.50 for 97..

Today radio 91.3 was also saying custom don't check often, close 1 eye.wait for sting operation then they catch whoever they can.
ccb..tis wkend custom sure siao on.
MCF PS3 Clan 1)Dj_spike:Dj_Shahril 2)Fireball0088:hsb0088 3)Tarzan666:sardin69 4)Tonyhawk:yaharoko 5)Ah_Cow:Ah_Cow 6)Kingcopa:thegod09 7)Freestylers09:freestylers09 8)Wreckwrx:wreckwrx 9)Galantspeedz:accordH22A 10)Unltd:Unltd8 11)Ixus:luckytan 12)Limahmao:limahmao 13)Skylander:rico7ch3t 14)Little_prince:The_king137 15)Hub_n_mona:trebuh007 16)Angguguay:itsagg 17)Ni_Ni10: ni_ni10 18)Windchoco : windchoco 19)King:Ah_nei 20)Tansrb:Tansrb 21)Nlatio: nlatio 22)MadDog70:XTheDarkSideX 23)Tkesper:Tkesper 24)Mazdaowner:SGSEAL64 25)Introz:intro82 26)Thefear:TheFury31 27)Unfair:pepi18022009 28)Ad23:ad23tzj 29)Josho:pboong 30)Lectrosphere:Lectrosphere 31)Bonafidestack:bonafidejack 32)East539:fronsi 33)Pokyman:nicktakenup 34)Antonee:YuYu_Nov 35)Legacyx:Rigares 36)Zac:ZacharySim 37)Thargor:Thargor-Orlando 38)Shorty:STR8_ACE07 39)Mrmilktooth:mrmilktooth 40)VellfireS:VellfireS 41) Elmo:Havock3662

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: officials, still, check, tank and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users