Android tablet

Kurty

hello..

this is embarrassing.. nonetheless, i still would like to ask [:p]

i got myself an android tablet 8.9, despite using the similar handphone model, S2..

i found myself don't know what to do with it..

some questions:

technical:

- why no whatsapp for tablet? say the firmware is not supported for the tablet..

- tried to update in kies but cannot connect for some reason..

- how to set up handphone into wifi hotspot?

general:

- apart from playing games and watching movies. (what strategy game is fun?)

- what do you guys do with your tablet?

i got it, probably impulse buy again..

wanted to watch movies with gf when at cafe.

yet to test the tablet if prawn ready. ^_^

↡ Advertisement

Yup, there is no whatsapp for tablet.... There is for Line though....

For readings and for typing a more lengthy emails. I use the Go keyboard and pad keyboard plugin. It's easier to type while holding with 2 hands as the keyboard letters are split to the sides.

8.9 is not too bad but I have a 10.1. After awhile, it tend to feel damn heavy and lazy to use....

Favourite game now is Air Control....

hello..

this is embarrassing.. nonetheless, i still would like to ask [:p]

i got myself an android tablet 8.9, despite using the similar handphone model, S2..

i found myself don't know what to do with it..

some questions:

technical:

- why no whatsapp for tablet? say the firmware is not supported for the tablet..

- tried to update in kies but cannot connect for some reason..

- how to set up handphone into wifi hotspot?

general:

- apart from playing games and watching movies. (what strategy game is fun?)

- what do you guys do with your tablet?

i got it, probably impulse buy again..

wanted to watch movies with gf when at cafe.

yet to test the tablet if prawn ready. ^_^

Does your tablet have 3G SIM support? If it doesn't, Whatsapp cannot authenticate your number, so it cannot be installed.

To help you answer some of your questions:

1. Kies is a piece of crap software, the connection keeps breaking, the backup doesn't work properly.

2. To setup wifi hotspot, find your "Tethering and Portable Hotspot" menu in your phone (I'm assuming Android ICS), enable the hotspot, give it a name and password, then use the same name and password on your tablet.

P.S.: Prawning on tablet, no need to declare to the whole forum. [:p]

Does your tablet have 3G SIM support? If it doesn't, Whatsapp cannot authenticate your number, so it cannot be installed.

It's not just that.... I have a Tab 10.1 with SIM and I can't install Whatsapp too...

Which reminds me of disadvantage of having a 10.1 tablet.... Can't hold the tablet in one hand and the other hand...... [:p]

Yup, there is no whatsapp for tablet.... There is for Line though....

For readings and for typing a more lengthy emails. I use the Go keyboard and pad keyboard plugin. It's easier to type while holding with 2 hands as the keyboard letters are split to the sides.

8.9 is not too bad but I have a 10.1. After awhile, it tend to feel damn heavy and lazy to use....

Favourite game now is Air Control....

no wonder..

initially, i was contemplating between 8.9 & 10.1, after reading reviews. i decide to go for 8.9, the average size between 7' whereby too small and 10.1', too big.

thanks for sharing. xie xie ni

To help you answer some of your questions:

1. Kies is a piece of crap software, the connection keeps breaking, the backup doesn't work properly.

2. To setup wifi hotspot, find your "Tethering and Portable Hotspot" menu in your phone (I'm assuming Android ICS), enable the hotspot, give it a name and password, then use the same name and password on your tablet.

yup, model is P7300. 3G and wifi.

yeah, i dislike Kies too..

always took such a long time to backup and worst, can't connect.

Thanks for enlightening me, will go home and try it.

I'm being honest, i been sharing in mcf that i will use my tablet for prawning, hence i buy an android as the fruity os cannot support. [laugh]

It's not just that.... I have a Tab 10.1 with SIM and I can't install Whatsapp too...

Whatapp will check if your device is a phone or tablet. If it is a tablet, you will not be able to install from play store. However, you can install it via any apk installer. But Whatsapp will check if there are 2 device currently logged on. So if it detects there are 2 it will kick out the other. There are workaround though. Search XDA forum. You will most likely need root though.

so what you normally do with your tablet?

ever since i bought it, i only touch 2 times..

it's like an alien object to me.. <_<

so what you normally do with your tablet?

ever since i bought it, i only touch 2 times..

it's like an alien object to me.. <_<

Play games (currently playing World of Goo and Tower Defense) and surf net are my 2 most frequent usage. Sometimes use to watch movies too.

Play games (currently playing World of Goo and Tower Defense) and surf net are my 2 most frequent usage. Sometimes use to watch movies too.

are you using any apps to watch movies? need to pay?

or download from desktop and transfer?

If you like tower defence, get the Jelly Defense.... It's worth the money you pay....

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look around for Jelly Defense. Currently have cogs, where's my perry, apparatus, tilestorm HD, but all haven't play yet, they are just sitting around in my tablet.

For movies, I use PPS too. Sometimes use movietube for some free movies too.

I have an android tablet and iphone best of both worlds. iphone is easier to create hotspot for the tablet. I use the tablet for work and play and sometimes for my kid to watch children shows. I get android instead of apple is due to access to bit torrent. Mine is a 10.1", easier to do email when on the move. Useful apps will be like dropbox and splashtop.

Dropbox is good when accessing to pics/files. Whatever pics on my iphone will be auto uploaded to dropbox(it's something like icloud) and I can access the pics/files at any location and on any device. I find it great for work. Splashtop app is remote access to your office desktop via tablet which is great on the move. No need to run back to office to retrieve files.

Bit torrent is you know DL *ahem* files, mostly ebooks(magazines), tv shows, movies. Coz my tablet can share and stream movies/files to my smart tv. I find it very convenient especially for my kid coz he can watch his children tv shows on the move or at home w/o transfering files from device to device.

As for music I try not to go the illegal path(LOL) so I DL music videos from youtube and convert it to mp4 and play it via bluetooth to my car HU on my iphone. Meaning the iphone is playing the music video but sound is coming out of my HU sound system. It makes waiting at the traffic lights easier.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement