• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
101 replies to this topic | 30 praises

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi Friends,my Brother in law's 1 year old Sharan 'drinks' 1.2L of coolant from new,now mileage is 12k Km,today went for 1 st service,Service Advisor told him it is normal for Turbo-charged cars to 'drink' a little coolant,which i don't think so,can any others VW car owners tell me is it true.??Esp those using the EA888 engine[GTI,GOLF R,Audi A5 or Skoda etc],thanks folks.

Fairlady.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Dscheng
  • Premium member
    Dscheng
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

1.2L consider little?? To me it is a lot. I think the mech try to smoke you. Obviously something is very wrong. Send back VW to double check.
** Riding passion

Car
2007-Civic EG, 2009-Lancer EX, 2012-JDM WRX,
2012-Civic FD, 2014-Lancer CS3M, 2015- RN6-Z,
2018 - GB7.

Bike
2000 - Hornet 125R, 2002 - CBR400R-L, 2007- Super 4 Spec II
2018 - Finally, i am back in riding, ZX10R.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

1.2L consider little?? To me it is a lot. I think the mech try to smoke you. Obviously something is very wrong. Send back VW to double check.

I know alot,i bought so many new cars,none 'drinks' coolant,that's why i said VW service centre not honest,that's why i want some VW owners their opinion.

Fairlady.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Jerrcik
  • Premium member
    Jerrcik
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I just like to voice out something....

Another stupid Sg falling for the VWs gimmick, end up buying an expensive lemon car with tons of problems that yet to come and coming to the forum and complain despite warnings, threads on the un-reliability of Volks....

Love it when these stupid idiots think they are smart.....

Do not bother getting another Volks user comments....he/she will just recommend you to sell it off and get a Jap or Korean car....
Little_prince praised this

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Another stupid Sg falling for the VWs gimmick, end up buying an expensive lemon car with tons of problems that yet to come and coming to the forum and complain despite warnings, threads on the un-reliability of Volks....

Do not bother getting another Volks user comments....he/she will just recommend you to sell it off and get a Jap or Korean car....

Already told my Brother in law before he bought the car,but he like the car performance & comfort.

Fairlady.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Kr_toy
  • Kr_toy
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Hi Friends,my Brother in law's 1 year old Sharan 'drinks' 1.2L of coolant from new,now mileage is 12k Km,today went for 1 st service,Service Advisor told him it is normal for Turbo-charged cars to 'drink' a little coolant,which i don't think so,can any others VW car owners tell me is it true.??Esp those using the EA888 engine[GTI,GOLF R,Audi A5 or Skoda etc],thanks folks.

Now get lemon law, so simple, just ask them to repair for free or put in writing if they consider is normal, and then sue based on lemon law.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Now get lemon law, so simple, just ask them to repair for free or put in writing if they consider is normal, and then sue based on lemon law.

Must gather more info before going into this...Hey,where are all the VW owners.???

Fairlady.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Eng40765
  • Eng40765
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Must gather more info before going into this...Hey,where are all the VW owners.???

At the AD workshop.
Jamesc praised this

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Wllim1st
  • Wllim1st
    Clutched
    Author Image

Driving an R. Almost 30k now. Coolant was almost same level as at 15k servicing. I believe does consume a bit due to evaporation and maybe minute leaks at some seal areas.

The guy who told you that consumption due to turbocharging is BULLSxxT. Coolant flow is in a close circuit. At 1.2L, you have quite some leak somewhere.....

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Driving an R. Almost 30k now. Coolant was almost same level as at 15k servicing. I believe does consume a bit due to evaporation and maybe minute leaks at some seal areas.

The guy who told you that consumption due to turbocharging is BULLSxxT. Coolant flow is in a close circuit. At 1.2L, you have quite some leak somewhere.....

My Brother in law also told the S.A. this,but he keep on saying is NORMAL....furthermore he drive quite slow,not like those who 'whack' their cars.

Fairlady.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Ben5266
  • Premium member
    Ben5266
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

At the AD workshop.

LOL....
Champion of the Champions 2016 & 2017!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Caravan
  • Caravan
    6th Gear
    Author Image

This loss of coolant has been discussed before, usually related to head gasket problem.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

This loss of coolant has been discussed before, usually related to head gasket problem.

New car where got head gasket problem.?Well just ask my Brother in law to monitor the coolant level,today service already top up to the correct level,see how it goes.

Fairlady.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Busybody
  • Busybody
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

haha... drive kelisa is best. 130k, still going strong, bullet proof

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Gendut
  • Gendut
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Any other symptoms besides topping up the coolant to the brim of the cap?
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.
Rod Serling

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Two possibilities in my opinion

1.) No head gasket issue (better pray this is the case!). When the coolant main circuit pressure exceeds set point, instead of venting into expansion/overflow tank, it starts to vent off via the coolant cap. Check whether cap is tightened and inspect the rubber o ring. i think there should be one.

2.) there is a head gasket exhaust leak. Nothing wrong with main coolant tank cap. When coolant main circuit pressure exceeds setpoint, the coolant correctly vents into expansion tank. However the exhaust leak from the head gasket causes further pressurisation and the coolant is forced to vent off via the expansion tank cap. Inspect the expansion tank cap and its o ring. . May have to inspect head gasket too.
1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Any other symptoms besides topping up the coolant to the brim of the cap?

VW cars don't need to top up to the brim,the tank have a "MAX" mark,it is only up to there[engine cold].

Fairlady.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Paddie
  • Paddie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

A few people I know who drive cars with the EA888 engine (both Audi & VW) say that they lose a little coolant over time, but not as much as 1.2L. They may need to top up once or so between 15,000km services.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Keithchue
  • Premium member
    Keithchue
    6th Gear
    Author Image

i heard that a bubble in the radiator can be formed during factory fill...maybe that could be the case
every day wont be the same after you make a wrong decision.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Passion
  • Premium member
    Passion
    Supercharged
    Author Image

haha... drive kelisa is best. 130k, still going strong, bullet proof

Bullet proof no use. In Singapore must be langga proof. Your car can withstand a collision like a continental? Don't laugh at people's car who have some minor problem.

Back to Volkswagen Auto Club  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users