VW Sharan 'drinks coolant.?

ER-3682

Twincharged

By the way what happen to the coolant leak problem in 2012? Was that resolved?

Did he buy another VW ?

Warranty Claimed...after that no more leak Coolant.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

If the inherent problem isn't addressed in the beginning small grow to big, big becomes huge lo.

Got leak say no leak. The coolant leak obviously will spread and short circuit something and cause something to fail. It doesn't require a scientist to figure it out. The car may be good to begin with but with a dealership like this good car can become crap.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged

If the inherent problem isn't addressed in the beginning small grow to big, big becomes huge lo.

Got leak say no leak. The coolant leak obviously will spread and short circuit something and cause something to fail. It doesn't require a scientist to figure it out. The car may be good to begin with but with a dealership like this good car can become crap.

All ADs worldwide DO NOT LIKE to do any warranty claims. Cause they hardly earn anything.

All warranty claims are charged back to the manufacturer. Usually the parts are supplied by the manufactur too. Which is why for some warranty claims you have to wait like hell for the part to arrive. Some nicer ones will use the ones from their stock to get you going.

The manufacturer also pays labour but the rates are piss poor as part of the agreement. Thus working on your car for warranty work clogs up their bay which have been otherwised used for paying service and selling you engine flush la, Aircon cleaning or whatever nonsense which can improve their profits!

Also note that usually they will need to communicate and convince the manufcaturer that indeed the part is faulty before they are allowed to change it. Else the manufacturers can reject the claim and the AD will have to swallow all the cost. Thus the favorite refrain you always hear is Please Monitor or We are still investigating and speaking with Germany, Japan, France or whatever crap excuse they can formulate

Twincharged

But VCS belongs to VW AG,so parts wise should not be a problem,i think now VCS sell much lesser Cars,service side,not so stress...like last time.

Hello ER-3682, can you share where was the coolant leak? My Sharan also drinks a bit of coolant, coolant level will drop from above Max to Min level in about 4-5 months. Workshop did pressure test but said no leak..

Hello ER-3682, can you share where was the coolant leak? My Sharan also drinks a bit of coolant, coolant level will drop from above Max to Min level in about 4-5 months. Workshop did pressure test but said no leak..

This Car actually belong to my Brother In Law,just sold,less that 8 years,alot of problems.

Hi, I dont own a VW but allow me to busy body, are you referring to water level dropping from max to min level of the overflow tank ? if so, it does not sound too bad . You may want to do a visual check to see if there is water trace around the overflow tank or radiator cap area. Replacing the radiator cap might help if spring pressure is off.   Another try is to get the agent to flush the cooling system for you and see how.  

Hi, I dont own a VW but allow me to busy body, are you referring to water level dropping from max to min level of the overflow tank ? if so, it does not sound too bad . You may want to do a visual check to see if there is water trace around the overflow tank or radiator cap area. Replacing the radiator cap might help if spring pressure is off.   Another try is to get the agent to flush the cooling system for you and see how.  

Thank you for your comments. Yes the drop is in the plastic reservoir. The are no water leaks around the reservoir. The reservoir cap looks like a normal plastic cap with no spring, and it fits nicely.   How does flushing the system help? Is it to remove air pockets? But this happened ever since the car was new. I just hope it is slow evaporation over months in our hot weather. But some people say in an air tight closed system there should be no evaporation. But is the cooling system 100% air tight? I also notice a difference between Japanese and European makes (both of which I have owned), Japanese cars don't need to do anything for years, but Euro cars will have to top up every few months. I wonder if there is a difference in cooling system design?

Thank you for your comments. Yes the drop is in the plastic reservoir. The are no water leaks around the reservoir. The reservoir cap looks like a normal plastic cap with no spring, and it fits nicely. How does flushing the system help? Is it to remove air pockets? But this happened ever since the car was new. I just hope it is slow evaporation over months in our hot weather. But some people say in an air tight closed system there should be no evaporation. But is the cooling system 100% air tight? I also notice a difference between Japanese and European makes (both of which I have owned), Japanese cars don't need to do anything for years, but Euro cars will have to top up every few months. I wonder if there is a difference in cooling system design?

Sorry for the confusion. You got it all correct except for the spring that i am referring to, is the cap on the radiator itself, not on the reservior.

Cooling channels running around the engine block is air tight but the system itself is not. The radiator cap and reservior tank are both designed to allow water overflow when water temperature rise, so by design of a cooling system is not air tight.

Flushing the system allow new water to be replaced. The existing water might have too much impurities that is not providing good enough cooling, thereby causing higher temperature and excessive overflow when temperature increase. No harm trying but since you said it has been like that since mew, maybe it is just a design shortfall of the system than a defect.

About japanese vs european, coincidentally i have an altis and a e200 currently, both do not need to top up coolant for a long long time, so i do not think it is european vs japanese design thing; but maybe peculiar to some brands.

How can a type or brand of cars be good to begin with when it always problematic.  [:|]  Sorry about that but when someone sells me a product, it got to be value for money or make good of it. I can't accept a half past six product.

Edited by Renegade777

How can a type or brand of cars be good to begin with when it always problematic.  [:|]  Sorry about that but when someone sells me a product, it got to be value for money or make good of it. I can't accept a half past six product.

Older VW,like before 2013 alot of Problems even new,i think now is better,remember i test drive the Golf 7 on 01-01-13,the DSG Gearbox already "Hanged" in 3rd Gear,SE claimed the Car,let Customers tested too long,hence "Overheated" the Gearbox. [bigcry] of cause,i never buy that Car.

My VW also drinks coolant. So naturally I suspect it leak but did not see any on the floor. So I pour in 1 bottle of k-seal. So far problem solve for at least 3 months. Finger cross.

↡ Advertisement