'Are school trips to Europe necessary?', ask parents

Billcoke

Any bro here feel the stress of bringing up their kids?

--------------------------

a1logo.gif

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2...119-384494.html

Some parents ask if primary school expeditions to exotic places like Paris and Vienna are really necessary for 'exposure'. -TNP

Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

Tue, Nov 20, 2012

The New Paper

Listening to opera in Austria. Learning how to cook Parisian cuisine in France. Admiring Gothic architecture in Prague.

Exploits of the well-heeled? No.

We're talking about the experiences of Singaporean primary school pupils on overseas excursions.

Tour agencies The New Paper on Sunday spoke to say that in the past, only secondary school and tertiary students made these overseas learning trips. Today, primary school pupils as young as six are globetrotting.

They attend choir and band competitions, youth festivals and even help orphans in remote villages.

Responding to queries from TNPS, the Ministry of Education (MOE) confirms that each year, more than 25,000 primary school pupils go on overseas learning journeys or overseas community involvement programmes.

And if you think that primary school pupils are too young to be doing such travelling, then consider how Kinderland is sending a cohort of kindergarten children to Japan on a seven-day "autumn exchange programme" this month.

While other kindergartens generally say that this is unusual, the trend of more exotic (and expensive) school trips by younger children has got some parents worried.

One parent, who wants to be known only as Madam Teo, 36, said: "Is this really necessary? Back in the day, we'd visit the zoo but these days it feels like people are trying to outdo each other."

"Next year I'll have all three of my kids in primary school."

Madam Teo is unemployed and her husband is a civil servant.

These excursions don't come cheap.

Trips to neighbouring countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea and China can cost up to $3,000 before school subsidies, while trips to regions like Europe can cost up to $3,500.

MOE promises that help is available to everyone.

Says a spokesman: "MOE provides schools with funding to subsidise overseas learning journeys. "In addition, schools may tap on other sources of funding, such as the Opportunity Fund (OF), to support their students.

"The OF can be used to subsidise enrichment activities and programmes, including overseas learning trips, for students from low-income families so that they do not miss out on the opportunities to enhance their learning through such programmes."

Says Madam Ane Hariati, media executive, 40: "The trips are expensive but it's quite affordable after the subsidies."

Madam Hariati's 12-year-old son, Rei Hamzah, from Queenstown Primary School, visited Seoul, South Korea, last year. The trip cost more than $2,000 but after the subsidies, Madam Hariati paid about $1,000.

But even with the subsidies, a school trip for a child can be painful budget-wise, say some parents.

Says Madam Teo: "It can be quite a struggle, but how can you say no?

"The school gives you a choice. But the pressure comes from your child who says to you 'My friends will be going (overseas). I want to join them'."

Two years ago, Madam Teo allowed her then Primary 1 son to go to Tokyo, Japan, for a dance culture programme. The trip cost almost $2,000 after subsidies.

One teacher, who has been on numerous overseas learning trips, says children from less well-to-do families feel the pinch when it comes to shopping during these trips.

The teacher, who declines to be named, says: "I see it all the time during cultural immersion programmes when there is some shopping time.

"The poorer kids move away to one side or hang around teachers. The rich kids buy up everything because they say it's cheap and you can't find the souvenirs in Singapore."

She has another issue with these trips besides the cost.

She questions if primary school pupils who help at foreign schools or orphanages are getting the wrong signals.

The teacher says: "Are we saying that Singapore doesn't have poor or disadvantaged people? Why can't we help Singaporeans first?"

Madam Teo, too, has further concerns about these excursions.

She declines to name her son's school but says that 29 other pupils, two teachers and six parents went along to Tokyo.

She admits the trip was a success but says that had she not tagged along, her son "would have suffered".

"Each Primary 1 pupil shared a room with a Primary 6 pupil. They were supposed to be cared for by the senior pupils.

"But how can they take care of the Primary 1s if they can't take care of themselves?" she asks.

Madam Teo claims she had personally attended to a Primary 1 student who had developed severe rashes from wearing his long johns for three days.

Some didn't even change their clothes for that same period.

A few of the older boys were always trying to "parcel off" the Primary 1s to the adults. She says: "You can't really blame them for being kids and wanting to play with children their age."

But these trips do seem to bring benefits.

Says Madam Hariati of her son Rei: "I was surprised that he now appears to be thinking more for others.

"After the trip, he also displayed more confidence in doing things independently."

And that's what Primary 5 student Ryan Koh learnt first-hand during his two-week overseas excursion to Beijing, China.

The Catholic High School (primary) pupil, who returned from his trip in early November, says: "There's nobody to pack or clean up after you when you're overseas. You have to deal with things yourself.

"You learn not to take things for granted."

Kids' business is big business

Travel agencies say the demand for school excursions has risen over the years.

Several firms have even started departments to cater to the trend.

Madam Eileen Yee of STA Travel tells The New Paper on Sunday: "In 1999, we started a separate department just to deal with students' overseas travel needs."

Other indications that business appears to be thriving is the pool of about 50 travel agents approved by the Ministry of Education (MOE), TNPS understands.

The travel agents are required to abide by MOE regulations, which include risk assessment, safety and insurance guidelines.

Says Madam Yee: "Our consultants work closely with teachers or heads of departments when we recommend overseas learning packages.

"They will agree only if we meet the school's learning objectives, safety standards and overall travel experience."

Tour agencies which TNPS spoke to say the most popular destinations are Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Taiwan.

[email protected]

↡ Advertisement

Rather scary -

But frankly, I'd rather the school did 5 or 6 smaller scale local programmes than one big overseas trip. And budget wise, it would be tough.

There is an option form to fill and if the parents cannot affort, they can reject the offer. Child is not force to go.... -_-

For what I know, the school will pay some percentage and the rest pay by the parents. :ph34r:

Even though they parents have the choice of whether to go, do not forget the peer pressure factor.

I am not against overseas trips, but keep it near home and cheap.

Must remember also that spending money, as the article mentions, is not a cheap factor - not all parents can (or want to) afford

for some places they travel, the package may not be subsidies and subsidies must base on parents income <_< <_<

but the teachers may travel for free if more student sign up.

Neutral Newbie

Look at it.

It's a very good eye opener for those kids whose parents don have the means to bring them to holidays or too busy working.

Some more it's subsidised, it's even more worth it for the parents to allow their kids to go. I would.

These memories, if positive, will etch in the child's mind forever, and will shape its outlook in life. Of course it can be for better or for worst, depends on the child experiences while overseas.

I noticed on the 6:30pm chinese news ocassionally the CTC sponsored the DV Xiao Yuan will be broadcast, for some schools trips and their activities field report.

The tour agencies new source of business...maybe next time will expand to K1 n Nursery.

last time go bird park already happy like fark... go sentosa take boat is exotic liao

SG kids have it good nowadays... but still grow up like fark

Edited by Mockngbrd

Twincharged

There is an option not to go ma. Its not like the school forcing the parents to let the children go. Cannot afford or don't think its safe then just don't go lo.

if the trip to less developed countries then it is more on learning about life and life skill.

if just travel to exotic place with museums and sight seeing, that one they can do it own their own when they grow up.

if the trip to less developed countries then it is more on learning about life and life skill.

if just travel to exotic place with museums and sight seeing, that one they can do it own their own when they grow up.

Yes send them to a poor country and let them see how the poor people live.

Then they will be grateful for running water and a clean toilet.

This is the kind of education they really need.

The teachers especially.

:D

Edited by Jamesc

Rather scary -

But frankly, I'd rather the school did 5 or 6 smaller scale local programmes than one big overseas trip. And budget wise, it would be tough.

even when i was young and heard of friends going on such far away expensive trips with schools, i find it overkill and spend too much money.

i have to admit that i came from a poor family so such extravagant trips are more pain than gain in my perspective.

i nearly 40 years old then get to go australia one time [blush] somemore paid by garmen one [grin]

wallaby6e.jpg

i nearly 40 years old then get to go australia one time [blush] somemore paid by garmen one [grin]

you want us to guess which one is you? :huh: :huh:

even when i was young and heard of friends going on such far away expensive trips with schools, i find it overkill and spend too much money.

i have to admit that i came from a poor family so such extravagant trips are more pain than gain in my perspective.

iwas in my seconadry school choir, they got a performance in australia.....but need to ownself pay, not free one [:(] knowing my dad no marnie [grouphug] , i dont want to go, kay siao told teecher errr...need to concentrate on studies [grin]

when the group came back, they very happy , got [gossip] got :D , i [smallcry]

↡ Advertisement