Anyone been to Hanoi?

Tweakmax2

becos most shops still accept USD besides VND but not SGD.

Then should change to VND and pay in VND......

↡ Advertisement

Why the need to change to USD when SGD is acceptable at money changers? The rate I got from the money changers at SGN last week was S$1=VND$16977.

Also got to beware when taking any taxi be it the bigger ones like Mai Linh, last time got 1 Mai Linh asked for US$20 for a trip that normally cost VND$180K. I just threw down VND$200K and alighted. [laugh]

the last time i went Hanoi, i brought SGD to change. But the exchange rate was not favourable. So i just used my USD whenever its favourable which is most of the time. USD exchange rates is better. Anyway Dong is useless here and i don't go vietnam often. So i was using USD for the last 1-2 days rather than change a bit of SGD here n there.

Saigon maybe different. Hanoi i don't see exchange signs for SGD lol other than airport.

safety not really an issue in old quarter. Just stay clear of the drunk vietnamese men.

Beware of taking photos of those women with the bamboo poles n hat, they will force u to buy their expensive fruit -_-

Yup! i bought 2 pcs of pineapple for 5 USD.... [bigcry]

Wanted to go there for a 4 days trips in Dec. Anyone got itinerary to share? Wanted to print out their maps but it is very hard to find.

Also is it safe there? robbery or scammer alot?

i bought a copy of lonely planet and use it as a guide.

It is generally safe there if you don't flaunt your wealth. Do not put all your cash in ur wallet or rather, do not open up with wallet full of cash and let people see when making a purchase. For meals and drinks, ask for price or menu first before ordering. For taxi, ask for a price or if they using meter first before boarding.

People are generally friendly but try not to get into any trouble. Policemen there hardly speak English and you will need to call the embassy for help which can be a pain in the butt.

Be careful of pickpocket in crowded markets.

i bought a copy of lonely planet and use it as a guide.

i borrow from library [laugh]

anyway most hotels offer car pickup at reasonable rate. i use that for airport transfers or if i want to go somewhere specific from my hotel especially at night, like going to train station.

haha my banana over ripe one lor. lagi best. 4 banana, only 2 can eat haha [laugh]

LOL. After that incident, no eye contact with those fruit selling aunties anymore. And i will shoo them away once they got too near to me. [laugh]

Going there in December. Booked a 3D2N Halong Bay cruise and still thinking about visiting Sapa.

Don't think you can do both unless you have another day or 2 there.

Halong is one direction and Sapa is the other.

3D2N trips gives you only 1 full day there, so I really don't you can do both.

i kana harassed by them. Bot a bunch of 4 bananas for few usd in the end -_-

just walk away and treat them as invisible... that's how to locals treat those ppl peddling on the streets

the more you say no no sorry sorry.... the more they pester you.

halong bay go day trip can liao.... seriously overrated place

Cat ba island off halong Bay is quite nice......but besides makan, nothing much also.. But it's a good experience to stay one night there.

I just hated the boat trip in halong bay. It take hours to reach cat ba, although one will visit a lot of caves along the way.

I went there like 13-14 years back...not sure how is it now

Edited by Icedbs

Wanted to go there for a 4 days trips in Dec. Anyone got itinerary to share? Wanted to print out their maps but it is very hard to find.

Also is it safe there? robbery or scammer alot?

I got this friend who own a family hotel in Hanoi. PM me if you wanna book I call him to give you good price .

In Hanoi, language barrier, Scam Scam Scam.......... Avoid taxis & Cyclo ( trishaw ) if possible. Like Bro Ngck said, Halong Bay is over rated, a day tour will be more than enough.

Sapa......HIGHLY recommended!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out my blog ......... went for Photography tour recently and hope it helps..........

http://sunnyhor.travellerspoint.com/1/

Sapa is great. But december the scenery is not so good. i went there same time before. Can be really cold!

I second that. I miss Sapa & Bac Ha so much

If you are a nature lover, this is the place to visit. Fantastic weather, food and scene. I regret staying only 4 days in Sapa. The next time if time permit, I will stay there 2 weeks!!!!!!!

Rent a motorcycle, very shiok!!!

post-90165-1353665895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shor

Cat ba island off halong Bay is quite nice......but besides makan, nothing much also.. But it's a good experience to stay one night there.

I just hated the boat trip in halong bay. It take hours to reach cat ba, although one will visit a lot of caves along the way.

I went there like 13-14 years back...not sure how is it now

i went on day trip 6 months ago.... i wouldn't say i regretted it... but if i know how it is, i probably will choose not to go.

boat trip is fine if there are some babes sharing the boat. :D

the way the guides (they were trying very hard to explain, lol) describe the shape of the rock formations, we were like ????

dun look like leh.... lol

I got this friend who own a family hotel in Hanoi. PM me if you wanna book I call him to give you good price .

In Hanoi, language barrier, Scam Scam Scam.......... Avoid taxis & Cyclo ( trishaw ) if possible. Like Bro Ngck said, Halong Bay is over rated, a day tour will be more than enough.

Sapa......HIGHLY recommended!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out my blog ......... went for Photography tour recently and hope it helps..........

http://sunnyhor.travellerspoint.com/1/

lol... taxi driver......

take with meter... even with meter, OBSERVE how fast to meter jump. trips around in inner city should not cost more than 10 SGD (around 170 000dong)

i got into a quarrel with one cheating taxi....

when reach destination, super expensive. about 300,000 dong

the bugger even say its normal.. (i work in hanoi and HCMC before so i know its not)

want to bring me to his "office" to verify the cost. Luckily i sit in front. and i pull the handbrake when he at first gear. lol

i refuse to pay. he refuse to let us leave. so we (4 of us) sat there listening to Vietnamese music and quarrel in chicken and duck language for about 10min plus. lol

then my friend scared, say just pay lah.... then i lan lan let it go... but i refuse to pay full fare... gave him 250,000 dong

but i also abit scared wondering when his reinforcement arrive lah.. hahha

Edited by Ngck

i went on day trip 6 months ago.... i wouldn't say i regretted it... but if i know how it is, i probably will choose not to go.

boat trip is fine if there are some babes sharing the boat. :D

the way the guides (they were trying very hard to explain, lol) describe the shape of the rock formations, we were like ????

dun look like leh.... lol

My point of view, if you gonna compare island between Thailand & Vietnam, Thailand always my pick. IMHO

lol... taxi driver......

take with meter... even with meter, OBSERVE how fast to meter jump. trips around in inner city should not cost more than 10 SGD (around 170 000dong)

i got into a quarrel with one cheating taxi....

when reach destination, super expensive. about 300,000 dong

the bugger even say its normal.. (i work in hanoi and HCMC before so i know its not)

want to bring me to his "office" to verify the cost. Luckily i sit in front. and i pull the handbrake when he at first gear. lol

i refuse to pay. he refuse to let us leave. so we (4 of us) sat there listening to Vietnamese music and quarrel in chicken and duck language. lol

then my friend scared, say just pay lah.... then i lan lan let it go...

but i also abit scared wondering when his reinforcement arrive lah.. hahha

Good one

Mine lagi best, a short distance like 4km, the meter jump faster than my heart. We pulled the driver aside, didn't talk much, we run!!!!!! Cheating taxis are not rare in Hanoi, so no matter how well you negotiate, you will mostly get into the trap.

There's two types of travelers, one is to avoid unnecessary trouble and pay up since it's affordable, the second type is ......... If we know the rate, we will not pay anything more than that.

This depends on individuals.....

↡ Advertisement