Anyone been to Hanoi?

Tweakmax2

Yes, Vietnam taxi drivers are really giving themselves a bad name though there are also many honest ones.

My recent trip to Ho Chi Minh met one which returned my change to the exact VND.

Worst are those at the airports, while waiting for my colleague to arrive saw a group of 4 Russians approached by a tout who quote them VND$200K/pax to the hotel in Q1. With 4 pax, they have to pay VND$800K, which is many times over what I paid ard VND$130K..... [shakehead]

↡ Advertisement

Good one

Mine lagi best, a short distance like 4km, the meter jump faster than my heart. We pulled the driver aside, didn't talk much, we run!!!!!! Cheating taxis are not rare in Hanoi, so no matter how well you negotiate, you will mostly get into the trap.

There's two types of travelers, one is to avoid unnecessary trouble and pay up since it's affordable, the second type is ......... If we know the rate, we will not pay anything more than that.

This depends on individuals.....

i thinking of running leh.... but somehow my friend say to me (in hokkien) the door(behind) is locked... lol

plus its raining... we dun want to get wet... haha

when the meter jump i also ask him.... how come jump so fast.... he say... no no no never mind, not this... WTF

Yes, Vietnam taxi drivers are really giving themselves a bad name though there are also many honest ones.

My recent trip to Ho Chi Minh met one which returned my change to the exact VND.

Worst are those at the airports, while waiting for my colleague to arrive saw a group of 4 Russians approached by a tout who quote them VND$200K/pax to the hotel in Q1. With 4 pax, they have to pay VND$800K, which is many times over what I paid ard VND$130K..... [shakehead]

ya some act blur never give back change..... but to be honest.... taxi's are damn cheap there... (if they are honest. lol)

just take mahlinh (or something like that..) for the bros that are going...

Edited by Ngck

ya some act blur never give back change..... but to be honest.... taxi's are damn cheap there... (if they are honest. lol)

just take mahlinh (or something like that..) for the bros that are going...

Mai Linh or Vinasun are the 2 more trustworthy ones but I've also met some dishonest ones from these 2 companies though most are alright....... [laugh]

Mai Linh or Vinasun are the 2 more trustworthy ones but I've also met some dishonest ones from these 2 companies though most are alright....... [laugh]

Yes, these two are the more trusty ones. There are some imitation MaiLinh cabs running around but most Mailinh cabs are trustworthy.

As for loose change, just give it to them la. It costs us only a few cents to S$1. I dun bother to quarrel with them. They worked damn hard though.

Edited by Latio2005A

i went on day trip 6 months ago.... i wouldn't say i regretted it... but if i know how it is, i probably will choose not to go.

boat trip is fine if there are some babes sharing the boat. :D

the way the guides (they were trying very hard to explain, lol) describe the shape of the rock formations, we were like ????

dun look like leh.... lol

Lol u all can't appreciate that the entire bay was once a huge piece of limestone eons ago? and that the islands are actually the only erosions left of the limestone?

I mean it's nothing super fantastic. Not a grand canyon or anything but it is almost one of the natural wonders of the world.

things to look out for :

if you take a sampan ride here ... there will be mobile refreshment sampans at the end of the river and your rower(s) will also try to sell you souvenirs along the ride.

post-2854-1353832580_thumb.jpg

supermarket price for a soda is about VND8,000 ... but street/boat prices are about the same as hotel prices at VND20,000.

post-2854-1353832850_thumb.jpg

some supermarkets and shops do not allow shoppers to bring in their bags ... so they will have lockers outside the entrance for you to deposit your belongings (if you dare).

post-2854-1353833006_thumb.jpg

the traffic there is so far the worst i have seen in my travels ... even more jialat than China !! tip on crossing the road is : cross steadily and don't kancheong when you see vehicles coming your way, just maintain your course or stand still for a moment and the vehicles will siam you. Dun run across like a rabbit coz the vehicles will not know how to react to you instead.

post-2854-1353833461_thumb.jpg

prices of things in VN is generally cheaper if you use USD ... if you use VND or other currencies, sometimes will be more than the exchange rate.

avoid trying shoe-polishing ... unless you willing to pay VND200k for a polish !!??

and don't forget the usual photo-taking MOs ...

one more thing, if you prefer, you can bring your own cutlery too.

Then should change to VND and pay in VND......

problem is, people dun want to change too much VND also, becos its very hard to sell VND when come back to SG

problem is, people dun want to change too much VND also, becos its very hard to sell VND when come back to SG

Nowadays actually more and more money changers do accept VND but unless you'll need it on the next trip, no point changing too much too....

Just to check, what is the best way to travel from airport to hotel? All the airport transfer are in USD and seem very ex.

Also what is the best trip agency for a 1 day trip to Ha Long Bay?

Just to check, what is the best way to travel from airport to hotel? All the airport transfer are in USD and seem very ex.

Also what is the best trip agency for a 1 day trip to Ha Long Bay?

If you'd book hotel before your trip.

Ask the hotel to arrange lar. If I not wrong it will be btw USD 25 - USD30

My favorite Hanoi eatery: chaca la vong

It is fried fish in oil with beehoon and you squat on low stools to eat.

The fish quite troublesome leh, must cook ourself and the staircase of the shop very dark and steep. I still love Bun Cha [rolleyes]

I'll be spending a total of 6 days in Hanoi.

Already booked a 3D2N Halong Bay cruise, and there's actually time leftover to travel by train to Sapa and back. Only snag is that the train ride's too long and my parents/kids will not enjoy that, even with sleeper bunk.

So I'm thinking of alternative itinerary for my remaining 3 days: Museum, Water Puppet, what else?

I'll be spending a total of 6 days in Hanoi.

Already booked a 3D2N Halong Bay cruise, and there's actually time leftover to travel by train to Sapa and back. Only snag is that the train ride's too long and my parents/kids will not enjoy that, even with sleeper bunk.

So I'm thinking of alternative itinerary for my remaining 3 days: Museum, Water Puppet, what else?

Forget the water puppet, none of those who I know enjoyed the show.....

↡ Advertisement