Anyone been to Hanoi?

Tweakmax2

Just gar gar step out onto the road.... The scooters will siam you one...

but pls avoid the buses hor [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Holding 2 small kids how to gar gar? Good thing they dont speed in the small lane. but we did witness one that swipe a street vendor, shouting all over!

Just gar gar step out onto the road.... The scooters will siam you one...

Holding 2 small kids how to gar gar? Good thing they dont speed in the small lane. but we did witness one that swipe a street vendor, shouting all over!

Just take 1 step at a time and they will siam you......but don't do that if it's a bus or lorry..... [laugh]

Simi tu chan? Look for tu chan cannot find, look until until tu lan :D

Sometimes you can drop by their local wet markets where they sell some 'tu-chan' as well...........their wet markets are just like ours during the '70s-'80s....... [laugh]

I had never use their service so I can't commend..........my first vacation trip to VN I booked my hotel using the Asiarooms website which I've been using for other countries.

Then following trips were booked by my then-gf....... [:p]

i used asiarooms as well.

some of the hotels have their own websites.

train tickets and tours i didn't book online cos they usually demand full payment and use western union? Just booked when i got there

Edited by Lala81

Any shopping areas to recommend ?

Shopping in Hanoi = unfortunately NO

If u still die die must shop, go to the Old Quarters (Pho Co - in Vnese). On Fri and Sat (Sun not sure), there is also night mkt there. Nearby, there is a wholesale centre, call "Dong Xuan Mkt" or Cho Dong Xuan.

Hanoi is not really good place to shop.....even the rich prefer to fly down to Ho Chi Minh City for shopping other than flying out of the country......... [laugh]

But Pho in Hanoi taste good and imho, better than those in Ho Chi Minh City...... [:p]

Strongly suggest u use Hanoi more like a place to rest.

If possible, change ur cruise to 2D1N then go Sapa.

One morning can be spent at Ho Chin Minh mausoleum and the museum and his house in the garden.

The museum of tribal culture (can't remember exactly what it's called) is good enough for 1 morning/afternoon

Can go the war museum also but frankly it's not that good.

i went to see their big lake, but frankly it's nothing. just like walking along a big river bank. nothing to see also.

the small lake beside the old quarter that one can walk in daytime and night.

That is the whole of Hanoi liao for tourist. [laugh]

Took your advice - changed to 2D1N cruise followed by 3D2N at Sapa. Booked through a Vietnamese agent: Total of US$339/pax inclusive of airport pickup, local transport, cruise, train-ticket, Sapa hotel, tour gude and half the meals.

Probably not the best price, but considering I'm bringing my parents along, having every arranged relieves me of doing lots of hunting/bargaining.

Neutral Newbie

i assume you travel from Hanoi to Halong and Sapa? If so, be warn that bus ride from Hanoi to Halong is 7hr to/fro. Train ride from Hanoi to Sapa is 18hr to/fro. It can be tiring for kids and the elderly. So do prepare some food/drinks or perhaps charge up your handheld game set for the kids.

Also, when you are in Sapa, do bring extra clothing, it can be very cold and wet. If possible, wear trekking boots as it can be slippery if the guide brings you to trek (Hanoi on the other hand was warm last week).

if you are bored in Hanoi (which we were), can try this resturants: SumoBBQ (in BigC mall) or Quan An Ngon (in Hoan Kien Dist)

Took your advice - changed to 2D1N cruise followed by 3D2N at Sapa. Booked through a Vietnamese agent: Total of US$339/pax inclusive of airport pickup, local transport, cruise, train-ticket, Sapa hotel, tour gude and half the meals.

Probably not the best price, but considering I'm bringing my parents along, having every arranged relieves me of doing lots of hunting/bargaining.

i assume you travel from Hanoi to Halong and Sapa? If so, be warn that bus ride from Hanoi to Halong is 7hr to/fro. Train ride from Hanoi to Sapa is 18hr to/fro. It can be tiring for kids and the elderly. So do prepare some food/drinks or perhaps charge up your handheld game set for the kids.

Also, when you are in Sapa, do bring extra clothing, it can be very cold and wet. If possible, wear trekking boots as it can be slippery if the guide brings you to trek (Hanoi on the other hand was warm last week).

if you are bored in Hanoi (which we were), can try this resturants: SumoBBQ (in BigC mall) or Quan An Ngon (in Hoan Kien Dist)

No need go other place to dine, the highlighted one is the best.

My only dining place is Quan An Ngon

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. Will go for if it's near Somerset where we are staying.

The inevitable travelling time will be a challenge. We have lots of Kindle e-books to go around. I have a feeling sleep is going to escape us in the bunker of the night train during the Sapa-bound journey. Your advice to carry along food/drinks is a good one.

Heard the temperature at Sapa can go below 10degC in the evenings. Warm clothing is a must have.

Neutral Newbie

If you have not left for Hanoi, yes, Sapa temperature can go below 10degree now. Then again, weather there can also be very un-predictable. So, just bring along more warn clothing. Few other advises before you go Sapa : Bring along a good pair of boots or footwear. Tour guide may bring you for trekking on high altitude rocky roads. Also, buy yourself some sweets or small packets of biscuits. There are many young children in Sapa who are really poor, they'll be very happy to receive them.

i could not catch any sleep to/fro in the train ride so it wasn't a very pleasant trip for me. Luckily my family all sleeps very well throughout the journey.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. Will go for if it's near Somerset where we are staying.

The inevitable travelling time will be a challenge. We have lots of Kindle e-books to go around. I have a feeling sleep is going to escape us in the bunker of the night train during the Sapa-bound journey. Your advice to carry along food/drinks is a good one.

Heard the temperature at Sapa can go below 10degC in the evenings. Warm clothing is a must have.

↡ Advertisement