Recommendation for contractor, handyman or carpenter?

Albeniz

Hi folks,

Have been staying in my current flat for more than 10 years and the house needs some works:

1. Re-route washing machine drainage, as current hose lies on the floor in the bathroom and will wet the floor during each wash. Tired of having a wet bathroom floor. Toilet door may probably need to be modified if the additional drainage pipe blocks the door.

2. hacking and throwing away old built-in wardrobes.

3. move huge cabinet and bed from one room to another.

4. Repair of cupboard and drawers.

5. Re-routing of heater switch nearer to bathroom (currently, if I forget to switch on the heater, I need to walk naked a distance from the bathroom to tun on the switch).

6. general washing, cleaning and partial painting of the house.

7. Changing of windows.

9. install more power points and sockets in the house.

10. Servicing or changing air-con.

11. And other misc works, etc etc.

I don't know whether to engage a renovator, contractor, carpenter or handyman. Do let me know if you know of a good one to recommend. What is the expected cost?

Many thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Engage licensed contractor to do electrical, air-con and window installation. For HDB flats, check its website for details on necessary compliance.

Get feedbacks from renotalk.com, myhometown.sg...

Happy searching!

you can choose a contractor which will act as middle man and get the relevant parties to get the job done. but there will be mark up of course

or you can find your own electrician, air con man, carpenter, partition man and act as your own coordinator

I got contacts for above except carpenter

Folks, just received a quotation from a contractor. I am wondering if the price is reasonable. Would appreciate if you could share your experience. Thanks.

post-17532-1356424852_thumb.jpg

looks quite pricey for certain items bro...

Thanks for your feedback. Please let me know the items which you feel are pricey so that I could consider and then negotiate with the contractor.

BTW, it is meant for a partial renovation in a HDB flat.

Thanks again.

350 for chemical wash??? wow

400 for painting one room?

Did a quick check in the internet. Price for painting 1 room is typically $350-$500.

Did a quick check in the internet. Price for painting 1 room is typically $350-$500.

depends on where you go. Chemical wash in fact can be done for $150-180 or so but they quoted you so high. In fact you should just go hardware store buy the liquid and wash it yourself.

Painting wise i wont suggest you paint yourself but look for a cheaper rate in the papers [laugh]

depends on where you go. Chemical wash in fact can be done for $150-180 or so but they quoted you so high. In fact you should just go hardware store buy the liquid and wash it yourself.

Painting wise i wont suggest you paint yourself but look for a cheaper rate in the papers [laugh]

Ok. To be fair to them, I ask them to wash the kitchen (inclusive of floor, cabinets, cupboards etc) + 2 toilets.

They quoted me $300 to dismantle and throw away the customized-built bed + cupboards. I thought it might be on the expensive side.

Should just call up the town council to do it (for free) right?

My other concern was the installation of ventilation fan in the toilet.

He said my windows need to be modified before the fan could be installed. Price is in the range of $380.

My in-laws have them done in the range of $100 plus, and theirs is a condo.

Edited by Albeniz

They quoted me $300 to dismantle and throw away the customized-built bed + cupboards. I thought it might be on the expensive side.

Hire some help for $50 and do it yourself?

certainly over-priced!

agree town council's one of the recommended option

go 'ambush' the workers who collect the 'rubbish' from the bins at your block and ask them to help you move some stuff.

Anyone got a carpenter with good workmanship to recommend? I'm designing a showroom display cabinet.

If the project involves simple home repairs or maintenance tasks, you need a handyman. If it's a complex multi-day project, for which certain licenses and permits are required, then you need a general contractor at least one, and maybe another with a particular specialization, such as electrical work. If you are looking for experienced experts to give your home a facelift that reflects the actual value of your money? At Great Value Handyman, we are always looking forward to working with clients like you.

↡ Advertisement