Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi folks,

Have been staying in my current flat for more than 10 years and the house needs some works:

1. Re-route washing machine drainage, as current hose lies on the floor in the bathroom and will wet the floor during each wash. Tired of having a wet bathroom floor. Toilet door may probably need to be modified if the additional drainage pipe blocks the door.
2. hacking and throwing away old built-in wardrobes.
3. move huge cabinet and bed from one room to another.
4. Repair of cupboard and drawers.
5. Re-routing of heater switch nearer to bathroom (currently, if I forget to switch on the heater, I need to walk naked a distance from the bathroom to tun on the switch).
6. general washing, cleaning and partial painting of the house.
7. Changing of windows.
9. install more power points and sockets in the house.
10. Servicing or changing air-con.
11. And other misc works, etc etc.

I don't know whether to engage a renovator, contractor, carpenter or handyman. Do let me know if you know of a good one to recommend. What is the expected cost?

Many thanks!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

West_end
  • West_end
    Banned

Engage licensed contractor to do electrical, air-con and window installation. For HDB flats, check its website for details on necessary compliance.

Get feedbacks from renotalk.com, myhometown.sg...

Happy searching!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Berncsp76
  • Premium member
    Berncsp76
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

TS, go here to research...

I am the XMM TIKO RANGER!

Success is a journey...not a destination - Steven Gerrard

Dare we dream...YNWA!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

you can choose a contractor which will act as middle man and get the relevant parties to get the job done. but there will be mark up of course

or you can find your own electrician, air con man, carpenter, partition man and act as your own coordinator

I got contacts for above except carpenter
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Folks, just received a quotation from a contractor. I am wondering if the price is reasonable. Would appreciate if you could share your experience. Thanks.
reno.JPG

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Cerano
  • Premium member
    Cerano
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

looks quite pricey for certain items bro...

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Cerano
  • Premium member
    Cerano
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

350 for chemical wash??? wow

400 for painting one room?

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

looks quite pricey for certain items bro...

Thanks for your feedback. Please let me know the items which you feel are pricey so that I could consider and then negotiate with the contractor.
BTW, it is meant for a partial renovation in a HDB flat.

Thanks again.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

350 for chemical wash??? wow

400 for painting one room?

Did a quick check in the internet. Price for painting 1 room is typically $350-$500.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Cerano
  • Premium member
    Cerano
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Did a quick check in the internet. Price for painting 1 room is typically $350-$500.

depends on where you go. Chemical wash in fact can be done for $150-180 or so but they quoted you so high. In fact you should just go hardware store buy the liquid and wash it yourself.

Painting wise i wont suggest you paint yourself but look for a cheaper rate in the papers laugh.gif

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

depends on where you go. Chemical wash in fact can be done for $150-180 or so but they quoted you so high. In fact you should just go hardware store buy the liquid and wash it yourself.

Painting wise i wont suggest you paint yourself but look for a cheaper rate in the papers laugh.gif

Ok. To be fair to them, I ask them to wash the kitchen (inclusive of floor, cabinets, cupboards etc) + 2 toilets.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

They quoted me $300 to dismantle and throw away the customized-built bed + cupboards. I thought it might be on the expensive side.

Should just call up the town council to do it (for free) right?

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

My other concern was the installation of ventilation fan in the toilet.
He said my windows need to be modified before the fan could be installed. Price is in the range of $380.

My in-laws have them done in the range of $100 plus, and theirs is a condo.

Edited by Albeniz, 25 December 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Panerex77
  • Premium member
    Panerex77
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Any carpenter to recommend for fixing/ replacing kitchen cabinet doors and replace kitchen sinks?

Thanks

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Cerano
  • Premium member
    Cerano
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

They quoted me $300 to dismantle and throw away the customized-built bed + cupboards. I thought it might be on the expensive side.

Hire some help for $50 and do it yourself?

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

MetalTab
  • MetalTab
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

certainly over-priced!
agree town council's one of the recommended option
go 'ambush' the workers who collect the 'rubbish' from the bins at your block and ask them to help you move some stuff.

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

GLZT
  • Premium member
    GLZT
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Anyone got a carpenter with good workmanship to recommend? I'm designing a showroom display cabinet.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

nicwheeler
  • nicwheeler
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

So far the best handyman service that I have encountered in Singapore is from Joydom. Their website is http://www.joydom.com.sg the first time I engaged them is for plumbing they later on when I need an electrician or just Handyman, I engaged them because they work flawlessly.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

nicwheeler
  • nicwheeler
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

So far the best handyman service that I have encountered in Singapore is from Joydom. Their website is http://www.joydom.com.sg the first time I engaged them is for plumbing they later on when I need an electrician or just Handyman, I engaged them because they work flawlessly and very affordable you can also call them at +6581632621

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Recommendation, contractor and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users