Do I look like I am for you guys to cut my lane abruptly?

Gohsj89

Neutral Newbie

the way some people reply here seems that they are those people who cut lane without signaling just like those in the video as well.

Young boy.. when u drive for more yrs in spore.. u will get used to it..

Edited by CinCin
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Your frustration is understandable, you just have to learn & grapple with the road situations out there. Keep your cool; you have much more things in life to appreciate than these. Cheers

Hi, thanks for yr comment.

True I hate abrupt lane cutting, especially when the other party don't signal.

I agree your points.

But for that subaru in the lane 1, I am neither hogging nor tailgating.

If you realise this subaru cut from lane 3 immediately infront to me.

As for the merz, both cars are going down slope.. so when he cuts infront of me, I need to brake harder.

As for the audi, cut abruptly still want to play braking with me.

The three video I posted just reflect how I lose my cool and self control when I encounter these type of drivers as well

Your road attitude needs reconsidering and you're driving too fast most times.

One day you'll kill yourself, your family or worse, the public.

Honestly I think TS don't like people to cut abruptly infront of him.

In all the three videos, there was no immediate danger or near collision situation.

What I can say is TS 'allow' such infarction by not being situation awareness enough.

TS should check the rear view mirror and side mirror more often.

So that he can see all the three cars that are approaching him 'earlier', and he can speed up his car earlier to block those from cutting infront of him. Which if TS has being fast enough, most likely the three cars will lan LAN have to filter behind his car eventually.

I know it very clearly becaus I practice it everyday. So far I have never ever ever gotten a horn or high beam from these 'lane cutter' who LAN LAN behind me.

Driving is a game of smoothness, if you don't want people to cut in, then speed up alittle bit, so that they can cut in behind you instead.

In all the three video case, TS could have just ease off the throttle and nothing would happen. In all three video TS biggest mistake was he accelerated at the point when it was too late and these cars already 'half way' cutting into his lane. TS should have being more observant and anticipate and accelerated much earlier to deny these lane cutters, that way everyone is happy. Why ? Some may ask.

Because if TS has accelerated early, he would leave a big gap behind him,which these three cars can happily and safely cut into. Everyone wins in such case!

this advise very good...

i been adopting this ever since i got my p plate in oct haha... i notice alot of chao kuans on the road.

my most memorable experience is parking at Plaza Singapura... was second in line to do the round about to turn into the parking lane... in front of me is a lorry then suddenly I see this big SUV tries to cut into my front to jump queue (behind me lots of car). I BTH then speed up a little... nearly rear ended the lorry :x but I brake in time... the big SUV see no chance to cut then he drive forward, the lorry also dun let him cut... then he LL go do a round about and left the queue [laugh]

I believe that the correct way to filter is to decide to filter, flick signal, wait for space and commence filtering.

But the reality is that if you signal, there is a 50-50 chance that the car in the next lane will speed up and close the gap, so the usual way to filter in Singapore is to decide to filter, check that there is space, flick signal and commence filtering move immediately.

Essentially, flicking of signal becomes a formality or a gentle warning. The driver is not waiting for you to slow down or tap brake, he is telling you that he is coming in no matter what so watch out. Eventually, some drivers decide not to even signal since it is just a formality and he is coming in anyway.

A driver who is filtering will sometimes need to speed up in order to perform the move and therefore if there is an obstruction in front, he will also need to brake once the move is performed. Of course, this is inconsiderate and dangerous if there is a car close behind, but this is basic physics. If he is an a-----e, or if you horn or highbeam him, he may decide to retaliate by braking also.

Finally, the psychology of many Singaporean driver is that making life difficult for other people on the road makes himself feel better. When he 'wins' by successfully filtering in front of another car, or preventing another car from filtering into his lane, such a person feel better about his life. Or silly things like not signalling when turning. If the same thing happens to him, he will feel lousy and belittled and disrespected (like TS feels) so much so that he has to edit his little home movies, post to youtube and come to MCF to garner support. This topic is far too complex for an amateur like me, but I am guessing that a high pressure society like Singapore is a big contributing factor.

I am not siding TS or his 'opponents', I am just sharing the reality of driving in Singapore. To be fair, this is probably not unique to Singapore, but to many other cities sharing similar characteristics.

Another self pawn thread... [laugh]

Then is this also considered self-pwn? Though I'm not really complaining or making a hoo haa.

As someone mentioned, very common in SG.

Then is this also considered self-pwn? Though I'm not really complaining or making a hoo haa.

As someone mentioned, very common in SG.

You got your pedal to the metal at the start huh?

TS, don't be so guai lan. Live and let live when driving. Oh btw, your driving sucks. I see many drivers like yourself often. Tolerance for "safe distance" is non-existent in you.

Internal Moderator

this advise very good...

i been adopting this ever since i got my p plate in oct haha... i notice alot of chao kuans on the road.

my most memorable experience is parking at Plaza Singapura... was second in line to do the round about to turn into the parking lane... in front of me is a lorry then suddenly I see this big SUV tries to cut into my front to jump queue (behind me lots of car). I BTH then speed up a little... nearly rear ended the lorry :x but I brake in time... the big SUV see no chance to cut then he drive forward, the lorry also dun let him cut... then he LL go do a round about and left the queue [laugh]

I also learned that most of the time, for whatsoever reasons that you need to cut queue, or change lane in slow moving peak hours jam, if you signal, gesture/wave to the driver on the lane that you intend to cut, he will most likely wave for you to proceed. And of cuz wave back to thank him.

I guess generally when drivers see that you are polite, they will automatically let you pass compared to those who force their way in. [:p]

I think TS just needs to control himself better. Why lose your mind over such acts? Such acts are common, and you just have to anticipate better.

Also, if you didn't react the way you did for the 2nd video, the other drive would probably not keep braking as well.

Anyway, just remember to drive safe, and keep safe.

I believe that the correct way to filter is to decide to filter, flick signal, wait for space and commence filtering.

But the reality is that if you signal, there is a 50-50 chance that the car in the next lane will speed up and close the gap, so the usual way to filter in Singapore is to decide to filter, check that there is space, flick signal and commence filtering move immediately.

Essentially, flicking of signal becomes a formality or a gentle warning. The driver is not waiting for you to slow down or tap brake, he is telling you that he is coming in no matter what so watch out. Eventually, some drivers decide not to even signal since it is just a formality and he is coming in anyway.

A driver who is filtering will sometimes need to speed up in order to perform the move and therefore if there is an obstruction in front, he will also need to brake once the move is performed. Of course, this is inconsiderate and dangerous if there is a car close behind, but this is basic physics. If he is an a-----e, or if you horn or highbeam him, he may decide to retaliate by braking also.

Finally, the psychology of many Singaporean driver is that making life difficult for other people on the road makes himself feel better. When he 'wins' by successfully filtering in front of another car, or preventing another car from filtering into his lane, such a person feel better about his life. Or silly things like not signalling when turning. If the same thing happens to him, he will feel lousy and belittled and disrespected (like TS feels) so much so that he has to edit his little home movies, post to youtube and come to MCF to garner support. This topic is far too complex for an amateur like me, but I am guessing that a high pressure society like Singapore is a big contributing factor.

I am not siding TS or his 'opponents', I am just sharing the reality of driving in Singapore. To be fair, this is probably not unique to Singapore, but to many other cities sharing similar characteristics.

This is sad but true.

Why can't we all just relax a little and give way?