SG Navy accident

Donut

Any navy expert care to explain how this thing can happen?

what's a motorised winch?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/saf-regular-criti...-010319550.html

A Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) regular serviceman was critically injured following a routine exercise on board a navy ship on Monday afternoon.

Weapons systems supervisor, Military Expert (ME) 2 Jason Chee Weng Fai was caught between a motorised winch and rope as he was checking the berthing rope on board the RSS Endeavour.

The accident saw the 29-year-old sustain severe injuries to his arms and legs and he had to be carefully extricated by medics from the Changi Naval Medical Centre. He was later sent to Changi General Hospital for emergency surgery.

A MINDEF statement says he remains in critical condition. SAF is investigating the mishap.

↡ Advertisement

carelessness is the cause and did not follow safety procedures....there are certain spots where the seamen cannot stand when berthing or un-berthing....

there was some talks about mooring lines snapped and the backlash cut a man's head off....i've seen such lines snapped before

When ship is berthed, during the course of the day, there is low n high tide thus the movement of the vessel vertically. Personnel has to adjust the mooring ropes according to the tide. SG tide changes around 1-2m only.

For such a big ship like the LSD, they would need to use the winch to either winch in the ropes, low tide, ropes slacken or winch out the ropes, high tide, ropes under strain.

So most likely an accident where he was caught between the ropes while winching in.

Whenever do our duty always exercise with care...

i dun think our singapore sons will be compensated adequately if anythings goes wrong.

To the garement, we are just numbers which can be fully replaced.

When ship is berthed, during the course of the day, there is low n high tide thus the movement of the vessel vertically. Personnel has to adjust the mooring ropes according to the tide. SG tide changes around 1-2m only.

For such a big ship like the LSD, they would need to use the winch to either winch in the ropes, low tide, ropes slacken or winch out the ropes, high tide, ropes under strain.

So most likely an accident where he was caught between the ropes while winching in.

I suppose for big ships, the winch motor must be pretty powerful. If get any limbs get caught, it's gonna be disastrous. Just hope that the serviceman pulls through.

There's no mention on the other crew manning the winch. If I'm not wrong SOP shud be at least 2 personnel operating the winch.

Not too sure abt 2 personnel to operate the winch. My time, onboard a smaller vessel, the winch has a step switch. So once in a while I just go n step on the winch forward and reverse to make sure it is operating. Changing of the gearbox oil for the winch definately require two person and isolate the switchboard to prevent accidental starting of the winch.

The victim is a ME2, petty officer level, rank is SSG or MSG. I dont think he needs to do such job, maybe checking or doing other stuff. Not sure.

Not too sure abt 2 personnel to operate the winch. My time, onboard a smaller vessel, the winch has a step switch. So once in a while I just go n step on the winch forward and reverse to make sure it is operating. Changing of the gearbox oil for the winch definately require two person and isolate the switchboard to prevent accidental starting of the winch.

The victim is a ME2, petty officer level, rank is SSG or MSG. I dont think he needs to do such job, maybe checking or doing other stuff. Not sure.

I usually see at least 2 on each side/end for commercial vessels. It could be a malfunction.

I usually see at least 2 on each side/end for commercial vessels. It could be a malfunction.

During the day, normally two personnel. One station at gangway and another will check the fenders, lines and security. They will rotate among themselves. Then there is a PO that will supervise both of them.

PO level normally starts from 2ndSG onwards.

I am not sure what happen so I do not wish to speculate. Just stating the normal procedures carried out onboard.

in these kind of accidents, whose work is routine and mundane, the factors causing it normally are complacency, concentration and competency. and where is the supervision component? the supervision may not come in a higher ranking personnel accompanying, but buddy-buddy system where the other person acts as a lookout for safety.

enough said, i am sure the relevant agencies will do their findings accordingly, and it is sad that this kind of incidents continues to happen in peacetime. (if it is during tension times, i am sure people will say it is stress.)

Side note: in an organisation (especially the military), everyone should not feel it is a trouble or paiseh to ask for help, and likewise, everyone that is being asked to assist should not find it to be a pain in the ass, because there is a responsibility attached. At the end of the day, everyone wishes to go back to their loved ones safely and in one piece.

Navy or commercial, singapore or international, these things still happen from time to time. Even with all the safety training, warnings and posters on board, human error still persists and onboard a vessel the consequences can be severe. I don't want to speculate on how something like this could have happened, but those who are familiar with shipboard operations should have a rough idea of the possibilites.

The first thing that came into my mind when i read the news was "mincemeat". If he does survive then he will be a lucky man, although i think perhaps he might lose one or more limbs.

Whenever do our duty always exercise with care...

i dun think our singapore sons will be compensated adequately if anythings goes wrong.

To the garement, we are just numbers which can be fully replaced.

Waa... Official spokesmen from RSN?

I hope u have the guts to say this to the family when u meet them. [mad]

At changi naval base again.. The last case was a NSF death a couple of years ago i think..

That one is human error too. The person was doing SS rounds (Safety n Security) and chose to do a shortcut way to close the hydraulic doors. He was "kiap" to death between the doors.

Also another incident, whereby an officer fell into the sea when a vessel collided with another berthed vessel.

Maybe I am saying too much. No free kopi for me hor!!! [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Adrianli
↡ Advertisement