Hmmmm.......... -_-

Do I go Yachting? Yes

Do I go deep sea fishing? Yes

So must get the Rolex Submariner .... [smash]

:grin::grin:

No need you can buy Seiko diver

• Praise 1

No need you can buy Seiko diver

Erm..... $20 el-cheapo casio watch with water resistent 100m can do the job of yachting/deep sea fishing too...

just saying..

:grin:

iStock_000015913029Large.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Personally, I have the same problem. Lol. That is why I got some savings plans. I know some say do your own investment can get better returns, but not all of us have the discipline to keep the money and not spend it on other things that can bring us instant gratification. With the savings plans, I got no choice but to keep saving unless I want to lose alot of money. So, the only way I can keep buying nice stuff is to make sure I keep earning more and more money every year. Everytime my pay increases, first thing I do is put some away into another savings plan so that I can increase my savings while still improving my standard of living.

for those of us who are not able to invest the time to learn and watch the markets, imo, should stick to the savings and safe investment mechanisms.

over the past 20 years in net-net i've lost some over 50k in equity investments, might be small to some, but to a single-income wage earner, it's big.

while the investments went down, savings in banks and insurance policies go up steadily. not counting the cpf and srs.

and it is good that all those cannot be touched.

i reckon wifey and i will have quite a comfy retirement when the time comes, but before that, it'll be quite rocky.. the major one will be my kids' university fees..both will be entering at the same time. 

True that

However I've come to a stage of my life where before I buy things, I ask

1. Do I have it?

2. Do I need it?

Normally it stops at qn1. Then when I go to qn2, that normally stops all purchases haha

Really cured the impulse buying

went looking at the cla200 shooting brake last month... and yup, stuck at 2.

low-balling by republic auto also helped  [smash]

• Praise 4

Insurance can earn money meh?

Unless you are talking about endowment or forced savings plan?

don't lose money very goof liao :XD:  :XD: :XD:  

• Praise 4

Twincharged

Insurance can earn money meh?

Unless you are talking about endowment or forced savings plan?

Endowment. I don't think people should use any other kinds of plans for saving la. I don't like those agents who sell ILP as a savings plan.

Endowment. I don't think people should use any other kinds of plans for saving la. I don't like those agents who sell ILP as a savings plan.

My personal take on this is that insurance, savings and investment should not mix.

You want to save you just do a disciplined transfer of a fixed amt of salary to your savings account monthly.

You want to cover yourself and love ones for health or life's emergencies you buy insurance.

You want to grow your money, you invest.

When you start mixing all these investment linked policies, you get a false sense of security and most people don't really understand what they signed up for.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

My personal take on this is that insurance, savings and investment should not mix.

You want to save you just do a disciplined transfer of a fixed amt of salary to your savings account monthly.

You want to cover yourself and love ones for health or life's emergencies you buy insurance.

When you start mixing all these investment linked policies, you get a false sense of security and most people don't really understand what they signed up for.

Agree with most of it except for the savings part. Putting it in a savings account don't give enough returns to cover inflation. IMO putting it in an endowment plan will at least get better returns than any savings account in a bank.

Agree with most of it except for the savings part. Putting it in a savings account don't give enough returns to cover inflation. IMO putting it in an endowment plan will at least get better returns than any savings account in a bank.

every 50k, just put it into a FD.

Usually once past 50k, FD rates get more favourable.

RadX, on 11 Apr 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

True that

However I've come to a stage of my life where before I buy things, I ask

1. Do I have it?

2. Do I need it?

Normally it stops at qn1. Then when I go to qn2, that normally stops all purchases haha

Really cured the impulse buying

usually my questions to ask myself longer

Do I love it....yes  [inlove]

Do I want it...yes, yes [bounce2]

Do I need it....yes, yes, yes [bounce1]

Can I afford it....No :a-bang:

always same conclusion...no chance impulse buying...jin chum

• Praise 8

Well I see savings as simply savings. This will be the liquidity that you can rely upon during stormy days.

The investment part of financial management is to cover the inflation concern. Anything above the inflation rate is a bonus.

*to add, investment should be money you are prepared to lose.

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

every 50k, just put it into a FD.

Usually once past 50k, FD rates get more favourable.

That is another way. But FD returns also not that good compared to some savings plans. But FD is more liquid la. I also have some in FD but majority of my savings is in endowment plans.

Well I see savings as simply savings. This will be the liquidity that you can rely upon during stormy days.

The investment part of financial management is to cover the inflation concern. Anything above the inflation rate is a bonus.

I think my risk appetite is low. I don't have much investments. I understand that endowment plans take very long to mature and are not liquid so I have some savings as a backup which should be able to last me for at least 1 year if anything were to happen.

Well said

i don think investment needs to be $ prepared to lose especially if u have 10-30yr outlook. anything less than that holding period sounds more like speculation to me.

I digress: more recently Ive been buying all sorts of dividend assets, n came across a class of stocks known as dividend aristocrats, which dividend paying coys which have consistent track record of raising dividend every year. Proshares dividend aristocrats ETF have coys going back 25yrs of annual dividend raising! Now these are investments which are worth holding onto for a long time.

The other simple strategy is to buy what Buffet buys, & u will notice that he also owns many dividend aristocrat stocks :)

http://www.proshares.com/funds/nobl_index.html

As for speculation, I have other criterias for it. If really wanna punt, consider LinkedIn as it has crashed alot but IMO a good coy long term so now is a good time to enter IMO

Edited by Duckduck
  • Praise 1

I just sell my Rolexes to survive month by month.

Plse help by buying when you see me selling.

Thank you

Firesale?

yup, not a believer of investment linked policies.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1