Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic | 610 praises

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Gee
  • Gee
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

amidst the claim of FW that their issue can't be helped by MOM.
now, ...the art of dodging bullets.. happy.gif

MOM 'making things better' for foreign workers

Ministry taking enforcement action in wage disputes, relocating workers to 'acceptable accommodation'
04:46 AM Dec 19, 2012

SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) receives some 7,000 telephone enquiries and 2,500 emails per month on employment-related matters from local and foreign workers.

It also processes some 600 statutory employment claims, such as non-payment of salary, every month, which are resolved through conciliation or adjudication by the Labour Court. More than 90 per cent of such cases are settled within a month.

Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin trotted out these numbers yesterday amid criticisms directed at the MOM on how it manages foreign worker matters.

In a 1,700-word blog post titled "Recognising the contributions of foreign workers in Singapore", to mark International Migrants Day, Mr Tan said: "There have been various criticisms directed at our management of migrant worker matters. Indeed, as with all issues, I do believe we can do more. Our various systems, including those dealing with employment issues for workers, can be improved and we will continue to work on them."

...... http://www.todayonli...foreign-workers

1 Anonymous member praised this

so and so - capitaine lentement

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Lambporkidney

amidst the claim of FW that their issue can't be helped by MOM.
now, ...the art of dodging bullets.. happy.gif

MOM 'making things better' for foreign workers

Ministry taking enforcement action in wage disputes, relocating workers to 'acceptable accommodation'
04:46 AM Dec 19, 2012

SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) receives some 7,000 telephone enquiries and 2,500 emails per month on employment-related matters from local and foreign workers.

It also processes some 600 statutory employment claims, such as non-payment of salary, every month, which are resolved through conciliation or adjudication by the Labour Court. More than 90 per cent of such cases are settled within a month.

Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin trotted out these numbers yesterday amid criticisms directed at the MOM on how it manages foreign worker matters.

In a 1,700-word blog post titled "Recognising the contributions of foreign workers in Singapore", to mark International Migrants Day, Mr Tan said: "There have been various criticisms directed at our management of migrant worker matters. Indeed, as with all issues, I do believe we can do more. Our various systems, including those dealing with employment issues for workers, can be improved and we will continue to work on them."

...... http://www.todayonli...foreign-workers

Better late than never although why it needed publicity to make MOM wake up and act, it puzzles me smile.gif

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Deckbuild
  • Premium member
    Deckbuild
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Better late than never although why it needed publicity to make MOM wake up and act, it puzzles me smile.gif

Nowadays media is extremely powerful, in the past where there are no camera phones or whatsoever, the chances of this type of news going the the mass are very low. With such spotlight on MOM, they will sure have to stand up and say something.

I wouldn't say MOM is not doing their job because they have help me retrieve my pay and CPF before.
Yewheng praised this

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Spurman
  • Spurman
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Mom have done well in the past. Maybe those smaller pay disputes they can settle quick.

However I suspect when things goes out of hand. Mass unpaid... Very very bad employers whose pattern more than badminton... This is where mom faces the challenges. Sometimes without solution.

For every incident reported in the news, there could be hundreds of similar cases not published in the media.

It's pretty embarrassing when more repeated cases gets reported n each time mom seems to be indecisive in their decision making

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Lambporkidney

Mom have done well in the past. Maybe those smaller pay disputes they can settle quick.

However I suspect when things goes out of hand. Mass unpaid... Very very bad employers whose pattern more than badminton... This is where mom faces the challenges. Sometimes without solution.

For every incident reported in the news, there could be hundreds of similar cases not published in the media.

It's pretty embarrassing when more repeated cases gets reported n each time mom seems to be indecisive in their decision making

Sgp's reputation internationally at stake sweatdrop.gif

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Gee
  • Gee
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Sgp's reputation internationally at stake sweatdrop.gif

yeap..
possibly more case coming up.

so and so - capitaine lentement

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Have some compassion for your average bangla/indian FW 

http://www.todayonli...red-meals-study

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

No wonder there's a recent report on how much food(counted in tonnes) were wasted per day. I think it's better they look for better caterers or just give them lunch money to settle their own meals.

Mustank praised this
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Ktglfc
  • Premium member
    Ktglfc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Have some compassion for your average bangla/indian FW 

http://www.todayonli...red-meals-study

These are the ppl who need proper meals to have the strength to do as construction workers, building our flats, and our infrastructures...

However, often than not, they are being exploit by the employers... housing them in below-par dormitories, and providing below-nutrition meals.. all just to save cost and beef up the employers' $ ....

Hopefully the authorities can spot check more of the dormitories for health and safety issues as well as ensuring proper time frame in delivering healthy meals to these workers who toiled their whole day under the hot sun ....

Rich: is not about how much you have, but how much you give.

The sky has turned brighter.
There's a glorious rainbow that beckons those with a spirit of adventure and there are rich findings at the end of that rainbow.
Find that rainbow, go ride it.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

No one complain and they will just sleep.
Mustank and Nicfoo praised this
樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

When they earn $600/month...

One of these meals is about $1+ each.

Eating mixed rice cheapest also 3 dollars + right.

All these are costs lah. SME where will spend such money...

Food delivery is actually something that requires a lot of logistics considering that food lasts only for 2-3 hrs max in Singapore.

Worse if it's curry (which is their cultural staple)

Just imagine your one outfield exercise requires 1 x Ration tonner, 2-4 people to pack the food for u just to get u food on a regular basis for 3 meals/day.

Tigershark1976, Jamesc and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

No one complain and they will just sleep.

hqdefault.jpg

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

Ktglfc
  • Premium member
    Ktglfc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hqdefault.jpg

[thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Mustank praised this
Rich: is not about how much you have, but how much you give.

The sky has turned brighter.
There's a glorious rainbow that beckons those with a spirit of adventure and there are rich findings at the end of that rainbow.
Find that rainbow, go ride it.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

RH1667
  • Premium member
    RH1667
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If these workers cooked in their dormitory, it will still be the same right?

They need to cook their food very early in the morning so that they can pack and bring it to their work place, and than leave it till lunch time.

I wonder if any the MPs  are looking at our poor uncles and aunties that pick up carton and cans to see if they also have proper food?

nicgrace, Mustank, Jamesc, Aaronlkl, FourZero, Spring, Nicfoo, 7 other members and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

WTF La.

Decent food should be a given for all these chaps. They work so hard and perform physical labor all day long. I bet they work harder than any NSF or even commando in our SAF and yet they can't even get a decent meal?

The food shown in the article looks worse than dog food. I won't eat it and I bet most pet owners feed their dogs better than that.

If these workers cooked in their dormitory, it will still be the same right?

They need to cook their food very early in the morning so that they can pack and bring it to their work place, and than leave it till lunch time.

I wonder if any the MPs  are looking at our poor uncles and aunties that pick up carton and cans to see if they also have proper food?

I don't think it is a problem la. Their stomachs are strong. In india, I think the hygiene standards there are much worse and yet they survived. Unless you say that the bunch of them are always getting food poisoning which I doubt is the case.

What's important is for them to get proper nutrition so they can work properly.

If a man is always hungry, how can he perform physical labor?

Edited by Kusje, 20 March 2015 - 03:39 PM.

1 Anonymous member praised this
That is all.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Sabian
  • Sabian
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Can email all the list main on SGX and ask who is the culprit?

If not, can email the listed developers on SGX?

All the CSR bulls**te...

Mustank and Sunny praised this

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Can email all the list main on SGX and ask who is the culprit?

All the CSR bulls**te...

develper will say moi donno

is subcon do one [laugh]

RH1667, Angcheek, Nicfoo, Sunny, ins1dious, BanCoe and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hydrocarbon
  • Hydrocarbon
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

WTF La.

Decent food should be a given for all these chaps. They work so hard and perform physical labor all day long. I bet they work harder than any NSF or even commando in our SAF and yet they can't even get a decent meal?

The food shown in the article looks worse than dog food. I won't eat it and I bet most pet owners feed their dogs better than that.

I don't think it is a problem la. Their stomachs are strong. In india, I think the hygiene standards there are much worse and yet they survived. Unless you say that the bunch of them are always getting food poisoning which I doubt is the case.

What's important is for them to get proper nutrition so they can work properly.

If a man is always hungry, how can he perform physical labor?

Agreed that they work hard physical labour. When I was in NS, I saw the ST subcons eating quite basic food also, rice + curry and very little meat, if any. If we got extra food packed and not many people at unit, I'll pass a few packs to them, since we're going to throw the food if we don't consume it either way. 

Really feel for them sometimes.. They're building up our country, and I don't want a hungry malnourished man to be building my HDB in future!

吃别人所不能吃的苦,忍别人所不能忍的气,做别人所不能做的事,
就能享受别人所不能享受的一切.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

Sabian
  • Sabian
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Can email all the list main con SGX and ask who is the culprit?

All the CSR bulls**te...

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

Sosaria
  • Sosaria
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Wow, I think it's better for them to have one good, fresh meal a day, rather than 3 meals of the catered stuff served to them.

I understand employers want to cut costs, but surely if they pool the amount they spend on the 2 or 3 lousy meals per day and combine it into one good meal for their worker, even this is a better solution.

The workers are really being conned. Wonder how much they are being charged for such meal as shown in the article. Even for $2 they can get better stuff and fresher too.

Edited by Sosaria, 20 March 2015 - 11:36 PM.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Making, Things, Better, Foreign and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users