Google Maps latest version

Shor

Think this will work only if you set your destination first before switching off 3G/network connection.

Trouble is if you somehow get lost, the software might not be able to calculate a re-route to your destination.

Or if you wish to zoom into details on attractions along the route, an active connection is required.

[/q

I think you're right because I off my 3G after I set the route, and it still working.

↡ Advertisement

Think this will work only if you set your destination first before switching off 3G/network connection.

Trouble is if you somehow get lost, the software might not be able to calculate a re-route to your destination.

Or if you wish to zoom into details on attractions along the route, an active connection is required.

yes.... i just confirmed also.

with no 3g, once you start your map, can only access the offline downloaded one. (IOS i think dun have offline map)

There will be no navigation option. It will be greyed out. The offline map only useful for viewing only. You have to navigate yourself.

Bro shor's offline map still can move most likely is because

1) he is traveling in the same usual locations and those areas are already cached. so no need for google to download again

2) Destination already key in before 3g cut off and the pre plan route already in place and he did not deviate. If he did, GPS will reroute and ask for 3g connection again.

yes.... i just confirmed also.

with no 3g, once you start your map, can only access the offline downloaded one. (IOS i think dun have offline map)

There will be no navigation option. It will be greyed out. The offline map only useful for viewing only. You have to navigate yourself.

Bro shor's offline map still can move most likely is because

1) he is traveling in the same usual locations and those areas are already cached. so no need for google to download again

2) Destination already key in before 3g cut off and the pre plan route already in place and he did not deviate. If he did, GPS will reroute and ask for 3g connection again.

Yo bro, perhaps it's right.

Example just now, I started to navigate with 3G on, search and start the route to Yishun.

I turned off the 3G immediately searching my destination. And the GPS still lead me to Yishun with turn by turn and voice guide. I also confuse. Anyway I tried it in Thailand last trip 2 months ago.

I bought a 250MB 3G card for the navi. But when I check the balance after navi, it did not deduct anything.

Yo bro, perhaps it's right.

Example just now, I started to navigate with 3G on, search and start the route to Yishun.

I turned off the 3G immediately searching my destination. And the GPS still lead me to Yishun with turn by turn and voice guide. I also confuse. Anyway I tried it in Thailand last trip 2 months ago.

I bought a 250MB 3G card for the navi. But when I check the balance after navi, it did not deduct anything.

No need one w/o 3G, GPS or data plan still work use point to destination using waze navigation free downloads for IOS and android.

No need one w/o 3G, GPS or data plan still work use point to destination using waze navigation free downloads for IOS and android.

I used WAZE but it's not very accurate. And it always lead a big turn.

can try papago. good alternative since garmin is not available on android

PAPAGO isn't free right?

PAPAGO isn't free right?

not free but reliable, my and sg map cost less than s$20. been using it in different part of malaysia without mobile data network.

furthermore, you can get map updates from malfreemaps.

though in comparison, garmin icons and display is definitely much better [thumbsup]

Tried using Google Maps for driving today, was quite good and able to lead me to my destination. However still prefer my gps as screen is bigger and no problem when call comes in.......... [:p]

I also tried. Very useful.

dl map n try to navigate offline... cannot be done..

Also, when calls come in, map is off the screen, I missed a turn just now..

Consume alot of batt....

Tried using Google Maps for driving today, was quite good and able to lead me to my destination. However still prefer my gps as screen is bigger and no problem when call comes in.......... [:p]

The problem I have using handy for GPS is teh auto powersaving! Then you have to slide to resume, & you can't do this when you are driving. Anyone have a solution to this?

But I like using the phone to set pin point I can find my way back to my car when in a new town or city, if my phone battery did not die first.

Google Maps roughly allow for offline caching of a circular area 50 miles radius. This is true only provided you are not on some ancient builds which are not relying on vector graphics. Interestingly, i have found that iOS 5 allows for offline caching of a modest 10 miles radius so i expect the offline caching ability in iOS 6 to be on par or surpass this capability.

I used WAZE but it's not very accurate. And it always lead a big turn.

course waze doesn't need any data or gps therefore the positioning is estimated unless

you actuate the data plan then it will be accurate if you need that or near surrounding will be sufficient

good for foodpanda delivery or dispatch courier.  

Riders Rejoice: Google Maps ‘motorcycle mode’ goes live in Singapore
By Coconuts Singapore Jul. 18, 2018

In a blessing that motorcyclists didn’t know they needed, Google has rolled out a new feature on Google Maps: Motorbike Mode.

Here’s the thing. Riding on a motorbike is a faster mode of commute, with pesky traffic jams not being that much of an issue thanks to the ability to ride in between lanes (lane-splitting is not technically illegal here, by the way). Aside from being much cheaper than purchasing cars here, let’s be honest, motorcycles are just way cooler.

But all this while, Google Maps — the default GPS service used by most riders here — provides navigation that caters to drivers of cars and other four-wheelers. With the new “motorbike mode”, however, riders will get more accurate traveling and arrival times based on machine learning models that reflect actual motorbike speeds and take into account lane-filtering rules. The feature will also steer riders away from restricted roads where motorcycles aren’t allowed while showing additional routes best suitable for bikers.

This will make a huge difference to two-wheelers of course — especially so to the thousands of deliverymen and dispatch riders who rely on accurate navigation and estimated times of arrival.

google-maps-motorbike-512x1024.jpeg

According to Google, the feature was built specifically for motorcyclists in the Asia-Pacific, and was first developed in India, where narrow roads that can accommodate two-wheeler vehicles are aplenty. The very welcome Google Maps feature is gradually going live across Singapore and other countries in the region, including Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, as well as Taiwan and Hong Kong.