Running Injury - Plantar Fasciitis

Chrispie

Just to share.

I used to suffer from this condition some years ago, first on 1 foot then the other.

Those days I could go to the Sports Medicine Clinic at the National Stadium even though I wasn't a sportsman. I was initially given a steroid jab and advice on some stretching exercise for that tough tissue at the base of the feet. There was immediate relief but the pain came back after several months. I was then advised that a permanent cure would be surgery, where the plantar tissue would be 'divided' ie cut and allowed to regrow, whereby it would be stretched.

Well, one fine day I was playing tennis with my kakis. I ran and stretched for a shot and suddenly there was a feeling like something giving way at my foot. The pain was so unbearable I could no longer put my foot down. I managed to get an immediate appointment at the Clinic. The doctor then explained I had actually torn my inflamed plantar. He said not to worry, the tissue would eventually heal and in the process would be stretched. In short, I had performed my own surgery! True enough, after some weeks I was never troubled by this problem on that foot again.

But then the 2nd foot started having the same problem. Again a jab did not cure my problem. The Sports Clinic was no longer an option. But again tennis came to the rescue. I tore the plantar on this foot too during a game. This time I was not unduly worried because I knew what had happened. After the healing process I have not had this problem again! [:)]

Nice Story..

↡ Advertisement

My plantar fasciitis is back. This was after a jog on Sat. My heel has been in pain since Sun.

It was cured previously thru ultra-sound treatment at CGH Sports Clinic. 

What to do now? Go back CGH Sports Clinic? I think there is no permanent solution to my plantar fasciitis. :wacko:

(edited)

My plantar fasciitis is back. This was after a jog on Sat. My heel has been in pain since Sun.

What to do now? Go back CGH Sports Clinic? I think there is no permanent solution to my plantar fasciitis. :wacko:

If you are near Holland V, I'd recommend my physio to take care of it. He can adjust your running style etc so that you won't get the recurring problem.

Google Gino Ng.

Edited by Mason016

If you are near Holland V, I'd recommend my physio to take care of it. He can adjust your running style etc so that you won't get the recurring problem.

Google Gino Ng.

I dont stay near Holland V.

Got try to analyze your running posture ?

The previous podiatrist did that and made a pair of in-sole for me. I am mostly heel heavy and slanted to the outer side of my foot.

Hypersonic

My plantar fasciitis is back. This was after a jog on Sat. My heel has been in pain since Sun.

What to do now? Go back CGH Sports Clinic? I think there is no permanent solution to my plantar fasciitis. :wacko:

Do own stretching every evening.

Do own stretching every evening.

Pass two days, placed an ice pack below my foot and it some how smoothen the pain. But still can feel the pain while walking.

Will do my own stretching and see how it goes.

Hypersonic

Pass two days, placed an ice pack below my foot and it some how smoothen the pain. But still can feel the pain while walking.

Will do my own stretching and see how it goes.

Stretch your calves and hamstrings thoroughly every evening. Takes only few mins.

U can use a human powered foot roller to massage your feet when u watching TV.

Go to the park on weekends and walk barefoot over the grassy slopes or the stone paths. Use a minimalist shoe to do some walking.

Stretch your calves and hamstrings thoroughly every evening. Takes only few mins.

U can use a human powered foot roller to massage your feet when u watching TV.

Go to the park on weekends and walk barefoot over the grassy slopes or the stone paths. Use a minimalist shoe to do some walking.

[thumbsup]

[thumbsup]

I also have it and I struggle for almost 1 year. Putting extra sole on the shoes, doing all kind of stretching.

All this well I did not know that it is due to the glute. You must stretch your glute every now and then. Now I am almost cure and dont need the extra sole.

Pls see link on how to stretch your glute. I use mainly no 3 and occassionaly no 1.There is another one I do ocassionally but i cant find the picture to show you. But no 3, works for me.

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/glute-stretches.html

• Praise 1

I also have it and I struggle for almost 1 year. Putting extra sole on the shoes, doing all kind of stretching.

All this well I did not know that it is due to the glute. You must stretch your glute every now and then. Now I am almost cure and dont need the extra sole.

Pls see link on how to stretch your glute. I use mainly no 3 and occassionaly no 1.There is another one I do ocassionally but i cant find the picture to show you. But no 3, works for me.

I always do number 2 before football and esp before badminton!!! Otherwise buttocks will be pain. Too much jumping ard for badminton.

I always do number 2 before football and esp before badminton!!! Otherwise buttocks will be pain. Too much jumping ard for badminton.

Was told that the pain is also due to a weak back muscle. So when I do no 2, i also tried to ensure that my back is stretched by leaning in different direction.

Hypersonic

If weak glute is the cause. You have to to more squads.. Squad is one of the most essential exercise that everyone should do regularly.

There are many variation of squads, just google one that suits you.

Thanks for the informative link.

Did some beginner yoga classes a few weeks back and kept hearing the word "glute" being mentioned but forgot about it once reach meditation stage.  [:p]

Really important to learn how to maintain our joints and muscles and we grow less younger.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Did stretching exercises and ice pack treatment last night to my heel and the pain has reduced significantly. Also took my usual pain killer(anti-inflammatory drug) Naproxen the previous night. So I not sure which works for me.

Today while walking to work, my heel feels a lot better. Not much pain but still got a little "bruised" feeling. Looks like I have to completely stop running/jogging exercises and just do swimming.

Hypersonic

Did stretching exercises and ice pack treatment last night to my heel and the pain has reduced significantly. Also took my usual pain killer(anti-inflammatory drug) Naproxen the previous night. So I not sure which works for me.

Today while walking to work, my heel feels a lot better. Not much pain but still got a little "bruised" feeling. Looks like I have to completely stop running/jogging exercises and just do swimming.

As someone who hasn't had a bad episode for many years, i think really using a shoe with a thinner/more flexible sole really works. 

That's why i don't mind plonking down $150 for my Nike Free RN.

Try to run without heel striking before you conclude u can't run for exercise. But go slowly first since u are a big sized guy. U may feel more strain around your ankles or knees at the start.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1