Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
237 replies to this topic | 105 praises

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:01 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Need advice on the baby Lexus so anything is good for me.

1) How's the running cost in terms of fuel consumption and maintenance costs (parts and service)? Any reputable outside workshops that will do Lexus at less than cutthroat prices? :)

2) How's the reliability?

3) What the main gripes of this car?

4) Anyone selling it at a good price for the buyer?

5) Any other advice in general?

Thanks!
-------------------------------
| Do or do not, there is no try. |

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hey no replies?

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

Hitman
  • Hitman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Errr ... I dont think we have a Lexus IS200 owner here, thats why got no replies

Just wait a while lah .... am sure someone will post something to help you out
=========================================================

Baby ... I am your LOVE KAMIKAZE.

When I'm good, I'm very, very good ... but when I'm bad, I'm better.

We focus on the things we want to have that we forget to appreciate the things we have.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:10 PM

Darth_mel
  • Darth_mel
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Lexus is a silent car mah. That's why the forum also very silent about it. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

男人有钱会变坏,女人变坏会有钱。

http://darthmel.blogspot.com/

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    Author Image

So cham. Guess they all pass IS and go straight to GS/ES/RX? biggrin.gif

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

Hitman
  • Hitman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

rather most end up buying Altezza instead

Baby ... I am your LOVE KAMIKAZE.

When I'm good, I'm very, very good ... but when I'm bad, I'm better.

We focus on the things we want to have that we forget to appreciate the things we have.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Here's my own opinion. I find that the driver seat is rather cramp and felt like being push in when I close the door.

Next would be that it's quite outdated and the new one is coming soon but it's a 2.5L if I'm not wrong.

However, the design is still quite ok even when it's been out for so long. If I'm not wrong, it's the 1st to have the silver rear cluster tail light and the meters on the dashboard is quite "tag heuer" lookalike.

Being a Lexus, the quality is there but if you are looking at used car, do note that the previous owner/s plays a big part.

Cheers. smile.gif

Edited by Sony, 24 October 2005 - 09:33 PM.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

Emiffy
  • Emiffy
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Getting new or 2nd-hand? I believe 2nd-hand would be truly value for money right now.

I used to own first generation of the IS200, before the facelift. Extremely reliable. Very smooth 6 cylinder engine, but auto gearbox lets it down. Exported it at the 5th year. Did about 120k km, apart from wear-n-tear items, no problems at all. Sent it back to BM because of the 5 year extended warranty.

Gripes? Needs more power.

1) How's the running cost in terms of fuel consumption and maintenance costs (parts and service)? Any reputable outside workshops that will do Lexus at less than cutthroat prices? :)

Thanks!

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

How about the LS and SC? sly.gif

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:02 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Think I can sacrifice power over refinement now. :)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:04 PM

Odyssey02
  • Odyssey02
    5th Gear
    Author Image

IS200 quite old liao leh. might as well get a 3 series better or even a bigger jap saloon such as the accord.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:05 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    Author Image

More likely 2nd hand. I guess it's also down to timing. Maybe when the new IS250 is out, the old IS200 will drop in price again.

How much did the body fetch for you?

Nobody mentioned anything about petrol consumption. Do the 6 cylinders drink?

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Cannot afford lah my friend!

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I'm all right with the design and such. 3 series getting a bit common and also more expensive to own and maintain (perception). I did think of Mz6 and Accord though.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:12 PM

Odyssey02
  • Odyssey02
    5th Gear
    Author Image

haha. personal choice. have you thought about a second hand jaguar x-type too. think it looks quite classy considering its a 6 cyl 2.0 too.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

Aspri
  • Aspri
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Hiak hiak. Never thought of the Jag but it's a nice choice. Except it's a little too flashy. I think I would like to be a little more non-descript. Besides, I've always like the baby Lexus.

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:06 AM

Fondue
  • Fondue
    5th Gear
    Author Image

A little too late .... cos I know someone who just trade - up his IS200 .... low mileage and very well kept thumbsup.gif

But I think its a nice car, and good value for a 2nd hand car.

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:05 AM

Sei_fei_loh
  • Premium member
    Sei_fei_loh
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks!

Hi there,

In my opinion, its only advisable to get the IS 200 as second hand. cos the new one is expensive, if they are still selling it and its rated dated with old technology.

I am a fan of lexus but sad to say, IS 200 is considered too japanese as compared to their siblings, looking at the price u pay. (no offence to IS 200 owners)

My uncle was looking at it 2 yrs back (selling at arnd 140k+ if i rem correctly) and he was disappointed with the performance of the car and the lack of 'sturdy-ness'. (although the interior wasn't too bad looking)

Unlike the other siblings, IS 200's doors do not close with a loud and solid thud, but it sounded the same as that of a normal Japanese car of that era and the sound insulation wasn't very fantastic.

Lexus is famous for its quietness but it seems the IS 200 does not really fits into that cat.

The altezza is good and sporty but then again, its ex.. d: <

Come to think of it, if u really love that car make/car model so much, go for a test drive and get the genuine feel. Don't care abt wat other ppl say. d: >

Happy scouting!

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:42 AM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cannot afford lah my friend!

No lar, my response is to the following sentence: -

Guess they all pass IS and go straight to GS/ES/RX?

You miss out the other 2 category mar.. thumbsup.gif

Now maybe cannot afford but in time to time, hard to say.. sly.gif

Good luck

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:45 AM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Maybe you can try out other conti makes like Saab (are you driving one now since you had it on your avatar), VW, Audi or Opel. Handling, look and performance is also quite good.

Back to Japanese Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Lexus IS250

Lexus IS250  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Whatsiam  |  Neutral Newbie

THE best car I've ever owned

coming from an audi a4 (2012 model), i am completely blown away by how the Lexus IS looks, handles and absorbs everything on the road. as a touring car. there arent many that is more refined and balanced than this IS. the a4 is shit in... » Read More

Lexus IS250

Lexus IS250  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Limpeh23  |  3rd Gear

Worthy Compact Executive Sedan

I tested the IS250 in F Sport guise, and although the endowed body kit makes the car look more aggressive and sporty compared to the normal variant, somehow I still think I prefer the look of its predecessor over this new version. It's attent... » Read More

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : Lexus IS250

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users