Car population exploded between 2006 & 2011

Scion

Turbocharged

post-16885-1358145664_thumb.png

don't want to sound xenophobic (again) but somehow i feel there's a link between the car population and government's open-door policy between 2006 and 2011

perhaps the authority should present some stats showing how many PRs and foreigners own cars in Singapore

it will not really be fair to us with shrinking COEs qty and its soaring prices

↡ Advertisement

Its like telco spoil pple with 12G plans...then suddenly only give 2G...

During that period...cars was cheap...my car cost me $80K to put on the road minus insurance...heck even if you throw in 1 yr rd tax + insurance also not more than 82K....that was Oct 2007...fast forward to today....can't even buy a piece of paper.

Gov want to let pple own a car mah...so COE open like flood gates...and everybody was changing cars like nobody biz...my colleague change 3 cars in 2 years...

Car population is control by COE, which is control via Goverment base on scrap, car growth, new.

Its clear that COE prices is directly affected by demand & supply, which is link to higher population, but Car population & population growth are not main/directly related. If government release 10k COE within a certain period, all will be taken up, no matter the population is 3 million or 10million.

Of course, more people competing means higher COE price, but like mention, not much effect on car grwth which is control by Government, which they have already admit is miscalculation.

don't want to sound xenophobic (again) but somehow i feel there's a link between the car population and government's open-door policy between 2006 and 2011

perhaps the authority should present some stats showing how many PRs and foreigners own cars in Singapore

it will not really be fair to us with shrinking COEs qty and its soaring prices

Many tings happen between those yrs. everyting also link bck to the foreigners..

Govt now admit is miscalculation but back then they let people own car and open the COE flood gates. So wonder what does govt really want?! [:/]

Govt now admit is miscalculation but back then they let people own car and open the COE flood gates. So wonder what does govt really want?! [:/]

They want more cars on the road so the ERP looks useful... [:p]

Just go back to min deposit of 30% of the car price.......

not much use lah..quite a few ppl bought car in cash or up to 50% loan only...

Wait for property market to drop 15%, then buy condo, then see price go up 30% in next 34 months, then sell for my next car

Many of us here are actually beneficiaries of the low COEs back then. Can't complain too much right?

Agreed, many people at least own a car or a brand new car in their entire life. Thanks to the low COE back then. [laugh]

But now they told us too many cars on the road liao?! -_-

last friday was real bad jam all over singapore. on my route home, it is usually clear but friday was bad. i thought it was the rain.

but when my event ended at 10pm, the pie was still jam packed with cars and the rain had stopped long ago!

the LTA had clearly issued too many coes over the years that roads are jam packed even after 10pm.

last friday was real bad jam all over singapore. on my route home, it is usually clear but friday was bad. i thought it was the rain.

but when my event ended at 10pm, the pie was still jam packed with cars and the rain had stopped long ago!

the LTA had clearly issued too many coes over the years that roads are jam packed even after 10pm.

Let's see 5 years down the road, will there be lesser cars on the road, since mosr of the low COE cars would be scrapped by then?! [rolleyes]

Anyway, i think friday usually roads will be more jam than other days. I also dont know why?! If rain or accident, the jam would be worse.

this post got point if u all think harder, u need man before a car, if # man goes up so does # car, so if u all want to see less car or cheaper coe that is when # man is low, unless sg is <3M, expect very $%$ coe

Gov want to let pple own a car mah...so COE open like flood gates...and everybody was changing cars like nobody biz...my colleague change 3 cars in 2 years...

"If MM (Minister Mentor) had his druthers when it comes to the COEs and ERP and so on, he would say, 'forget about the ERP, just squeeze on the COEs; don't let them buy cars; no cars, they can't complain. Have the unhappiness once, done with it'."I say, 'they all want cars, let them own the cars and we will put the gantry up; beep, beep, beep, they get angry, never mind. But at least they get the car'." -LHL

1m30s

not much use lah..quite a few ppl bought car in cash or up to 50% loan only...

True, most of the present buyers are capable to fork out more than 30% anytime!

If this rule is brought back, again the "marginal buyers" would be affected more than others!

nowadays when you do a search on sgcarmart for cars below 100k... only cars from China and Malaysia showed up.. Far cry from those days before year 2010...

↡ Advertisement