Civic Upgraded Tyre Size

Gilahonda

Hi peeps!

Anyone here can advise whats the correct tyre size if lets say I want to upsize my rims to 18 inchers?

Currently driving civic fd 1.8 with 16inch stock rims and tyres.

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hi peeps!

Anyone here can advise whats the correct tyre size if lets say I want to upsize my rims to 18 inchers?

Currently driving civic fd 1.8 with 16inch stock rims and tyres.

Thanks!

18" on FD1 (1.8lit Civic) will kill your fuel consumption.. my friend's FD1 change to 225/40/18, the FC is worse than my FD2 (2lit Civic) on 225/45/17..

She can barely get 9km/lit.. within 3 mths, downgrade back to 16"

• Praise 1

if 2005 year 320 can put 19 inch staggered rims....anything is possible.

Possibility is one thing, practicality and mobility is another. Anything is possible, whether its plain stupid or not.

It's not just the rim size, it's the width of the rim as well.

For eg., 18" comes with widths of 8", 8.5", 9" etc

So if your width is 8.5", then you need to put 235 or 245 tyres. 225 will be too narrow. For 225, 8" or 7.5" will be just nice. 215, 7" will be better.

• Praise 1

18" on FD1 (1.8lit Civic) will kill your fuel consumption.. my friend's FD1 change to 225/40/18, the FC is worse than my FD2 (2lit Civic) on 225/45/17..

I'm (FD1A) on 225/45/17, .. and I barely get 10km/litre.

Oh well, ... if I want a fuel economy car, .. I wouldn't get a Civic in the first place. [laugh]

It's not just the rim size, it's the width of the rim as well.

For eg., 18" comes with widths of 8", 8.5", 9" etc

So if your width is 8.5", then you need to put 235 or 245 tyres. 225 will be too narrow. For 225, 8" or 7.5" will be just nice. 215, 7" will be better.

need some enlightenment... does a wider rim width provide more stability to the car since the area of contact is wider?

e.g 18"x 9" will provide more stability den 18" x 8.5"

if that is true, can driver of B&B cars feel the different? especially when negotiating a bend...?

need some enlightenment... does a wider rim width provide more stability to the car since the area of contact is wider?

e.g 18"x 9" will provide more stability den 18" x 8.5"

if that is true, can driver of B&B cars feel the different? especially when negotiating a bend...?

I don't know if it improves on stability, but I know aquaplaning resistance will be affected (wider tyres easier to aquaplan, all else being equal).

What you should take note is that whether your car can take the wide rims without brushing against your tyre well, and include the offset to see if it will protrude out from your car body.

Normally people go for wide rims to accomodate big brake kits like brembo, not so much for handling or stability.

I'm (FD1A) on 225/45/17, .. and I barely get 10km/litre.

Oh well, ... if I want a fuel economy car, .. I wouldn't get a Civic in the first place. [laugh]

I'm ( fd1 ) have the same sentiments,

on the NSH shiok! when can do 200!

Can i know why upsizing to larger wheels will kill your FC? Thanks, because i was thinking of changing mine too.

Turbocharged

Can i know why upsizing to larger wheels will kill your FC? Thanks, because i was thinking of changing mine too.

To maintain the same rolling diameter when you upsize, you probably need to increase the tire width. Which increases the contact area of the tire and the road, and thus increasing friction

Possibility is one thing, practicality and mobility is another. Anything is possible, whether its plain stupid or not.

Then I must have been stupid for the last 8 years because both my cars are running 19 inch rims.

Larger rim = head turner ( I park outside hotel valet in Msia people snap pictures). Aggressive look. Changes the overall look of the car. Downside = rims n tyres are more expensive, sometimes no stock. Ride is a little bumpier if tyre pressue is high. Acceleration is a tad slower if your engine is not powerful enough or low torque.

Larger also normally mean wider, and wider tyres gives you more stability at high speeds. Higher FC though because that's expected. Why do you think Porsches have wide tyres?

But for Honda 1.8 L suggest 18 inch will do.

↡ Advertisement