Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

Its not that daunting actually.

Just have to set aside some time on weekends to go down to the dealers to check out the dealer and the car itself.

On top of that if you got a friend who's a good vehicle mechanic or know a good mechanic for years, can ask him to go along with you to do the test drive. That'll be a bonus.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Not easy to get dealers to send cars to workshop without deposit, esp for popular brands

Most would say no.

Clear conditions for return should be specified if deposit has to be paid. The problem is that short of engine failure or clear gearbox problems, hard to argue for refund for a lot of the wear and tear due to poor condition

Thats why buying used cars can be a real stress if unlucky  [smallcry]  

how many you asked before?

On top of that if you got a friend who's a good vehicle mechanic or know a good mechanic for years, can ask him to go along with you to do the test drive. That'll be a bonus.

Yup. Took like 6 months to slowly look for what I liked.

It was an interesting experience. 

Maybe will use stamdard template to answer..state not to their knowledge. Previous owner tampered the mileage. You also LPPL..really LPPL. Hahaha

Actually with technology so advance, LTA can actually help to prevent the dealers / owners from tampering with the mileage / ODO reading.

For example asking the Inspection centre to take a photo of the ODO Reading, input the reading into the system link to LTA and also attach the photo.

Also, with the new ERP system which is due to deploy in year 2020, they can actually record the distance travel of the vehicle and keep it inside the system which can be view upon request with the vehicle owner's particular. A true seller of the vehicle who got nothing to hide can let the potential buyer or car dealer take a screen shot of the accumulated mileage in the system.

the singapore used car industry is in a very sad state...so much so...after reading thru the past few pages i will forego my plans to view a used car that i was eyeing on sgcarmart..i was thinking to switch from my cibic fd to a C200...instead i will take my present trusted ride for a nice grooming job and live happily ever after [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

must see how u look at things. and where is your expectation.

Bro, maybe the q could be, even before reaching that stage of asking to send to own workshop with deposit, how many would allow you to test drive the car  [laugh] 

Maybe I am a newbie, thats why finding it difficult to even test drive . :mellow:  :mellow:  [laugh]

"U cant test drive unless we agree on a price"

"U can only drive in the car park"

"U cant go drive out to the main road" 

" We got no manpower to send to workshop"

"sorry no time"

"must pay this and that.."

"give u warranty already what.."

The point is that based on own previous experiences it is not so easy for newbies to deal with many of the situations, especially when there are no standards rules in engagement.

Have been rejected a few times when querying about sending to own workshop. Perhaps wrong to generalise but thats my perception.        

how many you asked before?

• Praise 11

hahaha ^ +1, that why i dont really feel like stating out the dealer later tio flame for nothing.

anyway, i left my car yesterday over there and apperently they lend me a replacement car until today. just collected my car. although the replacement car abit .................... condition wise is like almost going break down anytime, but at least got car. hahahaha, if any bro interested to know the dealer itself, pm me then i can let you all know who is the dealer.

Hi bro xOx, can pm me the dealer name as i am actively looking for car now.. thanks!

I am interested on a few cars from Carz World Pte Ltd. Any feedback on this company?

• Praise 1

Yes agreed that popular brand hard to ask for car inspection at own workshop.

Imagine everyone request for that particular car to be inspect at their own workshop. Jin bo eng.

The ultimate line is how you converse with the dealer on your keen interest in that particular car. I am sure if he feel genuine sales is on he would let you do so. No hard and fast rule.

Don't go to a car dealer..this brand can..that brand also can..it show that you has no particular model in mind. You can be easily sway. Always do home work. Go to one dealer aim for that particular model. If negotiation fail just walk don't be easily sway to look at other models. Go to another shop.

Upfront tell him your budget. This particular model fall within this price range? Don't be shy to say you are buying on budget. Is a best excuse to walk off..above budget. Also must set aside 1k/2k for repairing wear and tear. Can even tell them you won't bargain down the price. You has set aside 1k for repair. Tell them to be frank with you upfront on the car condition. Their facial expression you should be able to judge. Try to catch them off guard..their general standard template answer car in good condition etc.

Tell him if they indeed do charge admin fee. Ask them to check with boss whether can be waive. Some will go in make dummy phone call. Some will come up with grandmother story. Don't directly ask them whether can be waive. That is really dump. I always ask them to check with boss this..check with boss that..give them a ladder to climb down.

Ask for car to be inspect. Some will say no inspection allowed. They are inspected by their own workshop. Some will even give you one month warranty. Just tell them a firm no. You need the car to be inspected. At sta or own shop. You willing to pay 100/150 (compare to car price a small sum of money for peace of mind) for show of genuine interest in the car. Or ask them to get a kin na accompany you. If they still say no than be prepare to walk.

Do not sign on any document or make any deposit on the car price if you has the slightest doubt.

There are so many things to bear in mind when dealing with car dealer. No one can give a guide or how to do list. Just be mindful there are many dealer/model around. Me old men a bit long winded here. ð

Sorry guys. It's my character. I'm a no nonsense person.

I can't waste my time arguing with used car dealer etc.

For me. It's straightforward. Buy lower end but new car from AD.

Buying a used car is very luck dependent. Will u want to spend 100k and base it on luck?

I sold my cars before. And the description is totally nonsense on the car advert.

"Mazda 3 SP. Fuel efficient! Accident free! Parked under shelter! Immaculate condition"

Sibeh jiak you. I kana hit and run before. I park at HDB open air carpark. Condition cui cos I lazy to clean.

I on the other hand, holds a different perspective.

If i have a 100k, i shall not spend on a B&B car but on a COE car. Eg. SLK, porsche etc.

These car though a decade old, they have a high OMV of at least $50k and above compared to a B&B that is no more than a third of it.

Buying used car depends on luck that i agree. But if one is careful and prudent enough, definitely there will be good ones available. 

I hold safety in high regards and would prefer to be in a cage of a 50K car. Yes, i am a badge whore.

Sorry guys. It's my character. I'm a no nonsense person.

I can't waste my time arguing with used car dealer etc.

For me. It's straightforward. Buy lower end but new car from AD.

Buying a used car is very luck dependent. Will u want to spend 100k and base it on luck?

I sold my cars before. And the description is totally nonsense on the car advert.

"Mazda 3 SP. Fuel efficient! Accident free! Parked under shelter! Immaculate condition"

Sibeh jiak you. I kana hit and run before. I park at HDB open air carpark. Condition cui cos I lazy to clean.

Yes. Of course buying new is good. But there are members that do need to buy resales for a certain reason.

If i have a 100k, i shall not spend on a B&B car but on a COE car. Eg. SLK, porsche etc.

These car though a decade old, they have a high OMV of at least $50k and above compared to a B&B that is no more than a third of it.

Buying used car depends on luck that i agree. But if one is careful and prudent enough, definitely there will be good ones available.

I hold safety in high regards and would prefer to be in a cage of a 50K car. Yes, i am a badge whore.

Not wrong.

I have a colleague keep changing car every few years. All are merc. Apparently using it in his sideline as wedding car.

Amyway the last car I heard he brought a harrier 10k plus below what resales company offered. The previous owner got stroke I heard. Sold the harrier in 2 months or so and make 7/8k. He gOT the lobang.

I respect that. And u r right in many ways.its good to get Ur opinions.

For discussion sake,

Able to offer an example?

Say a 100k 1.6 civic.

What will be something equivalent?

Edited by Friendstar

For around 90k, a 5er E60 or Merc W211 with omv more than 50k with the Merc having a cheaper road tax.

Ride comfort and drive would be very much different to a civic.

• Praise 2

For around 90k, a 5er E60 or Merc W211 with omv more than 50k with the Merc having a cheaper road tax.

Ride comfort and drive would be very much different to a civic.

For the 5er E60. Really need a lot of luck to get a good condition one.

But yes. A mint 10 year old renewed Coe E60 Vs a new civic, I'll take the e60

For the 5er E60. Really need a lot of luck to get a good condition one.

But yes. A mint 10 year old renewed Coe E60 Vs a new civic, I'll take the e60

hard to find 10yo car in mint condition unless you camp on sgcm or know the owner/dealer...

May i know what does this mean  " These car though a decade old, they have a high OMV of at least $50k and above compared to a B&B that is no more than a third of it." 

Thought that if its a decade old , OMV is gone  ? 

↡ Advertisement