Audi, BMW and volkswagen engine rank most unreliable.

Pckwpckw

Neutral Newbie

if you include engine failure to mean engine stalling, then there are lots more reasons. Recently I had a frightful experience [bigcry] with my Cefiro stalling when cruising on the PIE. Without any warning the engine stalled. Fortunately, I was able to steer the car to the road shoulder before the power steering gave up the ghost. The engine stalling was caused by sensor error. Apparently the car has numerous sensors and failure of some of these could cause engine to stall. In my case the sensors for engine rpm and crankshaft speed malfunctioned and this caused engine to stall. It wasn't obvious to me at that time because I did not see any red warning lights. I read the manual that night and found that the warning light will appear as an amber (yellow) light. So if the car engine is on and this amber light appears, it indicates that the "engine control system is not be functioning properly". Quite an understatement! It should say the engine will/might stall. This is serious enough to warrant a red flashing or permanent red light. The amber light is on when ignition is turned on & engine hasn't started-that's normal.

I believe most cars are high tech nowadays. So please check your car whatever make and read your manuals.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Where are the korean makes? Can't be less reliable than Fiat, Ford and Merc, right?

Korean make cars are just like china make during the 90's but is improve by leap and bound for the last 10 years. Just like their electronic industry have out perform japanese now.

The car totally loss power, it get worse when going up a slope. Heavy consumption of engine oil like 1Litre per 1000 km. Is better to do a compression test to confirm.

so if no loss in power n no engine oil consumption means engine ok rite?

my 3 year old korean ride is around 120K now.... so far so good, i always make sure new engine oil is changed every 3 months and ATF every 6 months.

my 3 year old korean ride is around 120K now.... so far so good, i always make sure new engine oil is changed every 3 months and ATF every 6 months.

Which korean car you driving? But for a 3 year old car, should not have much problems la. Unless your car is already 7-10 year old and still tell me so far so good then the car is good. [:p]

Not uncommon.. my Toyota Kijang in Indonesia, bought in 1996/1997, reset from 999,999km to 000,000.. for a total of 3 times, now it's in it's 4th cycle liao... and it's still going strong now.. ^_^

Toyota engine no doubt quite good, but the metal of the car seems to be quite thin and not very safe.

Turbocharged

individually, it really is down to your own luck.......

You can be the unlucky 1 among 344 honda owners, or the 26 lucky Audi owners out of 27.

Engine reliability - top 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)

2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)

3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)

4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)

5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)

6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)

7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)

8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)

9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)

10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)

Engine reliability - bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

1. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)

2. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)

3. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)

4. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)

5. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)

6. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)

7. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)

8. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)

9. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)

10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)

Neutral Newbie

No leh. I drove peugeot for over 120,000 km with no major problem. I do my servicing regularly and even change gear box oil every 40,000 km. The radio do go a little haywire though.

The statistics say 1 in 44 for Peugeot. Yours could be one of the 43 produced by Peugeot.

Neutral Newbie

Looks like Euro turbo engines are the ones with the most issues. I suppose not unexpected since they run so hot compared to NA engines. DSG problems are over and on top of that for some models.

Anytime you introduce additional stress thru force compression, producing high amount of stress on all engine parts, pistons, gear, drive shafts, will have higher chance of failure. For example, the 1.4TSI engine producing 170HP. 8 years ago, I wanted to turbo charge a 1.6l, 105HP car. I found I could only squeeze out 140HP with quite a high amount of boost. Now, 1.4l producing 170HP, can't imagine the boost and cooling required. I'm not surprised that engine failure rate is high. Furthermore, if go long distance for a turbo charged car, the cooling must really keep up. Metals will undergo a lot of stress with repeated heating and cooling. If cooling is insufficient thermal stress will come in. Also contribute to engine failure over time. Car companies do have credible engineers so large majority of TC cars will be ok. Just trying to hazard an explanation for the relatively higher failure rates.

Just my two cents worth….

Edited by Pangarans

Which korean car you driving? But for a 3 year old car, should not have much problems la. Unless your car is already 7-10 year old and still tell me so far so good then the car is good. [:p]

His mileage is like a 7yr old car......

Agreed it is down to ones luck. I used to own a Honda Civic and the engine overheat. Sent for engine overhaul twice in 10 days and still not fixed. Still dun noe the problem. Sold it soon after. [mad]

Anytime you introduce additional stress thru force compression, producing high amount of stress on all engine parts, pistons, gear, drive shafts, will have higher chance of failure. For example, the 1.4TSI engine producing 170HP. 8 years ago, I wanted to turbo charge a 1.6l, 105HP car. I found I could only squeeze out 140HP with quite a high amount of boost. Now, 1.4l producing 170HP, can't imagine the boost and cooling required. I'm not surprised that engine failure rate is high. Furthermore, if go long distance for a turbo charged car, the cooling must really keep up. Metals will undergo a lot of stress with repeated heating and cooling. If cooling is insufficient thermal stress will come in. Also contribute to engine failure over time. Car companies do have credible engineers so large majority of TC cars will be ok. Just trying to hazard an explanation for the relatively higher failure rates.

Just my two cents worth

Not uncommon.. my Toyota Kijang in Indonesia, bought in 1996/1997, reset from 999,999km to 000,000.. for a total of 3 times, now it's in it's 4th cycle liao... and it's still going strong now.. ^_^

Wow!

Good! Good! Good! :D

His mileage is like a 7yr old car......

driving a Getz 1.4A. 98200km. (2006 face lift) No reliability issues..(touch wood).....but its a drinker. Even with controlled foot 9.5/litre. Got to ultra super light footed till mentally stressful planning ahead then get 10.2 / litre. If wack often can be as low as 7.7/litre

So far no issues. But Aircon compressor kaput last weekend [bigcry]

Gear box still feels ok but the bushing or spring loosening. As my is straight line shifter, mech adv me to shift a bit slower & wait to hear/feel the gear engage when parking, forward/backward.

Mech says as long as my 4AT cross 100k, cannot complain...

Change AT oil at 40 & 80k.

EO, fully syn change every 8k thereabout.

Moving forward thought of stretching to 12k. Coz last round I change at 10k, the oil still looks thick & not really watery.

Edited by Baal
↡ Advertisement