• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
84 replies to this topic | 75 praises

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hey guys, need some expert advice on fridges.

My MIL's home fridge, 12 years old liao. Suddenly not cold already. I ask one of fridge salesman and his advise is to switch off the fridge for 2 hours and switch on again. See if it is back to normal. If it is still no good, then the fridge up lorry liao.

MIL followed instructions and still find the fridge not cold anymore.

So my question is: what else can we do? Is it due to no more compressor gas? Can ask the repair guy to come and see? or just throw and buy new one?
This is my country, this is my life. This is my people.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

My MIL's home fridge, 12 years old liao. Suddenly not cold already. I ask one of fridge salesman and his advise is to switch off the fridge for 2 hours and switch on again. See if it is back to normal. If it is still no good, then the fridge up lorry liao.

So my question is: what else can we do? Is it due to no more compressor gas? Can ask the repair guy to come and see? or just throw and buy new one?

if i rem correctly, my mum fridge experienced something similar... i think top up gas or changed something but no need change whole fridge. i try to ask for you tonight.

Edited by Galantspeedz, 29 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Taipan49
  • Taipan49
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Try comparing the energy rating of the current fridge verse new ones. It may be more economical for your power bill to upgrade versus fixing it.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Try comparing the energy rating of the current fridge verse new ones. It may be more economical for your power bill to upgrade versus fixing it.

yeah. this old one got no ticks at all. 12 years ago, they have not implementing the 3-4 ticks yet......

so i suspect this old fridge consumes alot power

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Most home fridge are fitted with hermetically sealed compressor. Same as what I know of fridge compressors.

From wiki :

"The difference between the hermetic and semi-hermetic, is that the hermetic uses a one-piece welded steel casing that cannot be opened for repair; if the hermetic fails it is simply replaced with an entire new unit.

The disadvantage of hermetic compressors is that the motor drive cannot be repaired or maintained, and the entire compressor must be removed if a motor fails."

http://en.wikipedia..../Gas_compressor

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

if i rem correctly, my mum fridge experienced something similar... i think top up gas or changed something but no need change whole fridge. i try to ask for you tonight.

thanks bro,

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Most home fridge are fitted with hermetically sealed compressor. Same as what I know of fridge compressors.

From wiki :

"The difference between the hermetic and semi-hermetic, is that the hermetic uses a one-piece welded steel casing that cannot be opened for repair; if the hermetic fails it is simply replaced with an entire new unit.

The disadvantage of hermetic compressors is that the motor drive cannot be repaired or maintained, and the entire compressor must be removed if a motor fails."

http://en.wikipedia..../Gas_compressor

oh.... if it is sealed, then hor kan liao......... laugh.gif

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Youtube link of someone opening the compressor :

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

oh.... if it is sealed, then hor kan liao......... laugh.gif

Yup, its no way for u to "pump more gas in".

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Yup, its no way for u to "pump more gas in".

i tot its like car air con compressor.... can pump gas one.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Vroomtattat
  • Vroomtattat
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Just need to top up gas, $20+ or less.

But if pipes corroded or leak then time to get a new refrigerator.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Home fridge and aircon are permanently sealed.
They normally don't lose gas, unlike car aircon which is affected by joints, vibrations, corrosion, etc.

The reason the shut off for 2 hrs is if you had like side-by-side fridge which has a concealed freezer.
The heater if not working, will allow ice to form over the coil, thus not cooling and no "refrigeration".
The other part could be a failed fan which moves the cold air around.

Try to find where the evaporator coil is, and have a look.

When the compressor works, it should have some sort of noise, humming, and generally a bit on the hot side.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i tot its like car air con compressor.... can pump gas one.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

If ur fridge is same as the youtube one, maybe can :

But I am not sure how long it will last u. Cos if gas is leaking, somewhere in the system is gone liao.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Fridge not cool only after 12 years?

Thats a good fridge, can share what brand?

I want to buy. Thanks

biggrin.gif

Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Nowadays fridge are getting cheaper. Do consider getting one with inverter system and 4 ticks. In the long run, it's cheaper since fridge last really long.

Many people only thought of getting inverter system for aircon but forgot about fridge. Normally, aircon you only switched on at night when you are home but fridge is switched on 24/7.

Edited by Fcw75, 29 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Givechance
  • Givechance
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

If the fridge is a basic 'cheap' model.
Then perhaps better to spend $700++ to get a new one for CNY.
No many capable fridge repairman around that has the patience to repair it at owners home.
Usually they prefer to repair the fridge in their factory and resell it to housing agents who likes cheap fridge and cheap washing machine to furnish rental units.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Nowadays fridge are getting cheaper. Do consider getting one with inverter system and 4 ticks. In the long run, it's cheaper since fridge last really long.

Many people only thought of getting inverter system for aircon but forgot about fridge. Normally, aircon you only switched on at night when you are home but fridge is switched on 24/7.

When I buy fridge, I look for one with automatic ice maker. biggrin.gif My current Toshiba has the ice maker n plasma function. tongue.gif

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

my air con compressor not cold 2 weeks ago, cost me $1800 sad.gif sad.gif think put a fridge inside cheaper laugh.gif laugh.gif
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

When I buy fridge, I look for one with automatic ice maker. biggrin.gif My current Toshiba has the ice maker n plasma function. tongue.gif

can cook food on it own or not laugh.gif or recommend some dishes base on what the ingredient INSIDE it rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Fridge not cool only after 12 years?

Thats a good fridge, can share what brand?

I want to buy. Thanks

biggrin.gif

That fridge is not cheap one hor. It's not even those bread and butter brands that u can buy from big stores. i go see the brand first and tell here later.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Fridge, cold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users