Fridge not cold

Donut

Supercharged

hey guys, need some expert advice on fridges.

My MIL's home fridge, 12 years old liao. Suddenly not cold already. I ask one of fridge salesman and his advise is to switch off the fridge for 2 hours and switch on again. See if it is back to normal. If it is still no good, then the fridge up lorry liao.

MIL followed instructions and still find the fridge not cold anymore.

So my question is: what else can we do? Is it due to no more compressor gas? Can ask the repair guy to come and see? or just throw and buy new one?

↡ Advertisement

My MIL's home fridge, 12 years old liao. Suddenly not cold already. I ask one of fridge salesman and his advise is to switch off the fridge for 2 hours and switch on again. See if it is back to normal. If it is still no good, then the fridge up lorry liao.

So my question is: what else can we do? Is it due to no more compressor gas? Can ask the repair guy to come and see? or just throw and buy new one?

if i rem correctly, my mum fridge experienced something similar... i think top up gas or changed something but no need change whole fridge. i try to ask for you tonight.

Edited by Galantspeedz

Try comparing the energy rating of the current fridge verse new ones. It may be more economical for your power bill to upgrade versus fixing it.

Supercharged

Try comparing the energy rating of the current fridge verse new ones. It may be more economical for your power bill to upgrade versus fixing it.

yeah. this old one got no ticks at all. 12 years ago, they have not implementing the 3-4 ticks yet......

so i suspect this old fridge consumes alot power

Most home fridge are fitted with hermetically sealed compressor. Same as what I know of fridge compressors.

From wiki :

"The difference between the hermetic and semi-hermetic, is that the hermetic uses a one-piece welded steel casing that cannot be opened for repair; if the hermetic fails it is simply replaced with an entire new unit.

The disadvantage of hermetic compressors is that the motor drive cannot be repaired or maintained, and the entire compressor must be removed if a motor fails."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_compressor

Supercharged

if i rem correctly, my mum fridge experienced something similar... i think top up gas or changed something but no need change whole fridge. i try to ask for you tonight.

thanks bro,

Supercharged

Most home fridge are fitted with hermetically sealed compressor. Same as what I know of fridge compressors.

From wiki :

"The difference between the hermetic and semi-hermetic, is that the hermetic uses a one-piece welded steel casing that cannot be opened for repair; if the hermetic fails it is simply replaced with an entire new unit.

The disadvantage of hermetic compressors is that the motor drive cannot be repaired or maintained, and the entire compressor must be removed if a motor fails."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_compressor

oh.... if it is sealed, then hor kan liao......... [laugh]

Supercharged

Yup, its no way for u to "pump more gas in".

i tot its like car air con compressor.... can pump gas one.... [laugh][laugh]

Home fridge and aircon are permanently sealed.

They normally don't lose gas, unlike car aircon which is affected by joints, vibrations, corrosion, etc.

The reason the shut off for 2 hrs is if you had like side-by-side fridge which has a concealed freezer.

The heater if not working, will allow ice to form over the coil, thus not cooling and no "refrigeration".

The other part could be a failed fan which moves the cold air around.

Try to find where the evaporator coil is, and have a look.

When the compressor works, it should have some sort of noise, humming, and generally a bit on the hot side.

i tot its like car air con compressor.... can pump gas one.... [laugh][laugh]

If ur fridge is same as the youtube one, maybe can :

But I am not sure how long it will last u. Cos if gas is leaking, somewhere in the system is gone liao.

Nowadays fridge are getting cheaper. Do consider getting one with inverter system and 4 ticks. In the long run, it's cheaper since fridge last really long.

Many people only thought of getting inverter system for aircon but forgot about fridge. Normally, aircon you only switched on at night when you are home but fridge is switched on 24/7.

Edited by Fcw75

If the fridge is a basic 'cheap' model.

Then perhaps better to spend $700++ to get a new one for CNY.

No many capable fridge repairman around that has the patience to repair it at owners home.

Usually they prefer to repair the fridge in their factory and resell it to housing agents who likes cheap fridge and cheap washing machine to furnish rental units.

Nowadays fridge are getting cheaper. Do consider getting one with inverter system and 4 ticks. In the long run, it's cheaper since fridge last really long.

Many people only thought of getting inverter system for aircon but forgot about fridge. Normally, aircon you only switched on at night when you are home but fridge is switched on 24/7.

When I buy fridge, I look for one with automatic ice maker. :D My current Toshiba has the ice maker n plasma function. [:p]