MyCarForum Logo
Search
Dual Citizenship Singapore Views

• Search this thread
126 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Poll: Dual Citizenship For Singapore? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree to dual citizenship to counter the adverse effects of our declining birth rate & ageing population?

1. Yes (21 votes [32.31%])

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

2. No (42 votes [64.62%])

Percentage of vote: 64.62%

3. Neutral (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Vulcann
  • Vulcann
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Personally I do not agree because of the nagging feeling that those with dual citizenships (DC) may probably hightail to his or her country of origin when the sh!t hits the fan in Singapore.

Call me cynical but folks generally will avoid crisis for self-preservation so if given an alternative to siam I am pretty sure some will just do that. Dire if you consider in terms of male's NS obligations in Singapore and for those with DCs they may just pack up and leave when our national security is on the line.

Some agree with me but there are those who advocates this controversial DC system:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitsti...enship-20130206

A firm 'no' to dual citizenship
Published on Feb 06, 2013

THERE are many government policies I disagree with, but I passionately support its firm stand on prohibiting dual citizenship ("Home in Singapore, heart in homeland"; Monday).

This is despite the fact that a policy reversal would make my own life more convenient.

I am living overseas in a country where I have long qualified to apply for citizenship.

As tempting as it is to serve two masters, I strongly believe the right thing to do is to refrain from it.

I disagree with migration expert Leong Chan Hoong, who says highly skilled and mobile Singaporeans could easily leave Singapore during a crisis even without dual citizenship.

If Singapore were at war, anyone liable for any form of national service would most likely be prevented by the authorities from leaving, regardless of how skilled they are in their chosen professions.

What do we do with Singaporeans who are also citizens of a country with which we have a conflict?

It is foreseeable that some Singaporeans who are citizens of friendly countries would want to leave.

Such Singaporeans, like any other, have the patriotic duty of defending Singapore.

However, the governments of those friendly countries could still pressure Singapore to release these dual citizens.

Why should we put our Government in such a potentially awkward situation at a time when its efforts and resources should be fully focused on how best to maintain our survival?

I also doubt the objectivity of sociologist Paulin Straughan's views.

She has two sons with dual citizenship who must decide which citizenship to give up when they turn 21.

She says it makes no sense "to lose a Singaporean child who has grown up here, while giving citizenship to newcomers".

What is senseless is to give Singapore citizenship to those who are willing to give it up for another.

Our national policy on dual citizenship should not kowtow to the wishes of those who simply want more convenience for themselves.

It should place the best interest of our country above all else, always.

If there is a national policy that must be dogmatic and rigid, this is it, even if it is viewed by some as being overly so.

It could mean the very survival of our precious little island in future.

Michael Ang York Poon

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitsti...stance-20130206

Govt should review stance
Published on Feb 06, 2013

THERE are even more people whose homes are overseas but whose hearts are in Singapore ("Home in Singapore, heart in homeland"; Monday).

I know many Singaporeans who emigrated for various reasons.

Some of their grown-up, highly qualified children would like to live and work in Singapore if they could have dual citizenship.

This would add talented people, who are of Singapore origin and who consider themselves to be Singaporeans, to our workforce.

There are also retirees who would like to spend their last years with their children overseas, but wish to keep their Singapore citizenship.

If they live overseas, it would reduce the strain on our country in caring for the elderly.

Those who want dual citizenship would be too few in number to warrant concerns over a mass exodus of people in times of war or strife.

The Government should review its stance on dual citizenship, which is allowed in many countries.

Roshni Asha (Mrs)

Edited by Vulcann, 06 February 2013 - 09:04 AM.

«World’s Leading Distributor of MiG Parts«

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Katz2282
  • Katz2282
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

A quitter would not want to keep their pink IC even if DC is allowed. There, you heard it from the horse's mouth. =)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Littleknown
  • Littleknown
    4th Gear

Not sure what it means.

Always thought it is just semantics.

PR status in Singapore - can buy HDB, use our healthcare, use school yet no need NS.. Why still wanna be citizen?

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Gee
  • Gee
    6th Gear

i think those who choose to benefit from dual citizenship won't stop at 2 if they were to be given the opportunity.
when times of trouble arise, they'll probably the first ones who jump boat easily.
not all dual holders are like this, but i would view it as such.

so and so - capitaine lentement

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    Supercharged

because PRC wants SG passport
jet li, gong li and vicky zhao ... all millionaires ... you think they live in sg?
if singapore allow dual citizenship

prc, indonesia richie, hk richie, taiwan richie, korean richie, all Q up like condo launch to get SG passport
SG passport can travel around the world almost all countries visa free unless you go places like Syria, etc

Not sure what it means.

Always thought it is just semantics.

PR status in Singapore - can buy HDB, use our healthcare, use school yet no need NS.. Why still wanna be citizen?

Edited by Wt_know, 06 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Watwheels
  • Watwheels
    NOS-ed

What for? One citizenship the other PR lor.

If you smell what the Rock is cooking.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Katz2282
  • Katz2282
    2nd Gear

Today, one do not need citizenship to run away in time of troubles. With all the FTAs in place, most people do not need a visa to go to most countries on earth for a period of time. So I don't believe the notion of DC allowing them to run away really applies.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    6th Gear

because PRC wants SG passport
jet li, gong li and vicky zhao ... all millionaires ... you think they live in sg?

dual citizenship will not benefit Gong li, vicky zhao ... it will benefit more of Singaporeans who are working long term abroad and taking up foreign citizenship. Neither PRC nor India allows dualcitizenship.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    Supercharged

do you mean allowing sporean to have dual citizenship but spore (country) do not allow dual citizenship???

anyway, jet li and gong li would love to have a copy of USA passport since both of them are sporean

dual citizenship will not benefit Gong li, vicky zhao ... it will benefit more of Singaporeans who are working long term abroad and taking up foreign citizenship. Neither PRC nor India allows dualcitizenship.

Edited by Wt_know, 06 February 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Tungsl
  • Tungsl
    2nd Gear

i think yacoob sons have dual citizenship

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Trex101
  • Trex101
    6th Gear

Seem like someone up there are planning back road after 2030 when s--t hits the fan...
My Orange Ford Territory Ghia - Philips Xtreme Vision 100+, NGK ZFR6FIX-11 Iridium, Redline 0w30, Redline High Temp ATF, Redline Heavy Weight Shockproof

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Gee
  • Gee
    6th Gear

ok .. fair enough
so, you mean allowing sporean to have dual citizenship but spore (country) do not allow dual citizenship

then i am sure jet li, gong li and vicky zhao would love to have a copy of USA passport too

huh ? huh.gif
how can sporean have dual if spore don't allow?

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Gee
  • Gee
    6th Gear

-dbl post, sry-
not sure what happs, click once appeared twice.

Edited by Gee, 06 February 2013 - 09:31 AM.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Katz2282
  • Katz2282
    2nd Gear

huh ? huh.gif
how can sporean have dual if spore don't allow?

what papa doesn't know, won't hurt. tongue.gif

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

TVT
  • TVT
    Supercharged

If allow, then our years in NS all wasted ! I totally disagree.

Seriously the main reason why govt do not allow it is because of NS.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Littleknown
  • Littleknown
    4th Gear

Oh.

Is it that because singapore does not allow dual citizenship means they cannot enjoy benefits of other countries as citizens even if that country can have dual citizenship?

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    6th Gear

I may be wrong, but I recall Jet Li already got US passport before coming to SG ? Dual citizenship to me is a talent retention scheme. Whether to grant a foreigner Singapore citizenship is a separate problem altogether, and exists even without dual citizenship. The countries that so many Singaporeans are concern about PRC and India do not allow dual citizenship in the first place.

ok .. fair enough
so, you mean allowing sporean to have dual citizenship but spore (country) do not allow dual citizenship

then i am sure jet li, gong li and vicky zhao would love to have a copy of USA passport too

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    Supercharged

then allow dual citizenship for man after 45 years old? lolz

If allow, then our years in NS all wasted ! I totally disagree.

Seriously the main reason why govt do not allow it is because of NS.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    6th Gear

Actually, having the US passport is not much use and you are liable for U.S. taxes, unless you need to live and work there.

do you mean allowing sporean to have dual citizenship but spore (country) do not allow dual citizenship???
anyway, jet li and gong li would love to have a copy of USA passport since both of them are sporean

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    Supercharged

haha ... ang mo tua kee ma
show US passport is a big deal ma ... always seen in movie ... american american

Actually, having the US passport is not much use and you are liable for U.S. taxes, unless you need to live and work there.

Edited by Wt_know, 06 February 2013 - 09:41 AM.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Others Top

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users