Dual Citizenship For Singapore? Your Views?

Vulcann

Dual Citizenship For Singapore?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree to dual citizenship to counter the adverse effects of our declining birth rate & ageing population?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral

Personally I do not agree because of the nagging feeling that those with dual citizenships (DC) may probably hightail to his or her country of origin when the sh!t hits the fan in Singapore.

Call me cynical but folks generally will avoid crisis for self-preservation so if given an alternative to siam I am pretty sure some will just do that. Dire if you consider in terms of male's NS obligations in Singapore and for those with DCs they may just pack up and leave when our national security is on the line.

Some agree with me but there are those who advocates this controversial DC system:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...enship-20130206

A firm 'no' to dual citizenship

Published on Feb 06, 2013

THERE are many government policies I disagree with, but I passionately support its firm stand on prohibiting dual citizenship ("Home in Singapore, heart in homeland"; Monday).

This is despite the fact that a policy reversal would make my own life more convenient.

I am living overseas in a country where I have long qualified to apply for citizenship.

As tempting as it is to serve two masters, I strongly believe the right thing to do is to refrain from it.

I disagree with migration expert Leong Chan Hoong, who says highly skilled and mobile Singaporeans could easily leave Singapore during a crisis even without dual citizenship.

If Singapore were at war, anyone liable for any form of national service would most likely be prevented by the authorities from leaving, regardless of how skilled they are in their chosen professions.

What do we do with Singaporeans who are also citizens of a country with which we have a conflict?

It is foreseeable that some Singaporeans who are citizens of friendly countries would want to leave.

Such Singaporeans, like any other, have the patriotic duty of defending Singapore.

However, the governments of those friendly countries could still pressure Singapore to release these dual citizens.

Why should we put our Government in such a potentially awkward situation at a time when its efforts and resources should be fully focused on how best to maintain our survival?

I also doubt the objectivity of sociologist Paulin Straughan's views.

She has two sons with dual citizenship who must decide which citizenship to give up when they turn 21.

She says it makes no sense "to lose a Singaporean child who has grown up here, while giving citizenship to newcomers".

What is senseless is to give Singapore citizenship to those who are willing to give it up for another.

Our national policy on dual citizenship should not kowtow to the wishes of those who simply want more convenience for themselves.

It should place the best interest of our country above all else, always.

If there is a national policy that must be dogmatic and rigid, this is it, even if it is viewed by some as being overly so.

It could mean the very survival of our precious little island in future.

Michael Ang York Poon

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...stance-20130206

Govt should review stance

Published on Feb 06, 2013

THERE are even more people whose homes are overseas but whose hearts are in Singapore ("Home in Singapore, heart in homeland"; Monday).

I know many Singaporeans who emigrated for various reasons.

Some of their grown-up, highly qualified children would like to live and work in Singapore if they could have dual citizenship.

This would add talented people, who are of Singapore origin and who consider themselves to be Singaporeans, to our workforce.

There are also retirees who would like to spend their last years with their children overseas, but wish to keep their Singapore citizenship.

If they live overseas, it would reduce the strain on our country in caring for the elderly.

Those who want dual citizenship would be too few in number to warrant concerns over a mass exodus of people in times of war or strife.

The Government should review its stance on dual citizenship, which is allowed in many countries.

Roshni Asha (Mrs)

Edited by Vulcann
↡ Advertisement

Not sure what it means.

Always thought it is just semantics.

PR status in Singapore - can buy HDB, use our healthcare, use school yet no need NS.. Why still wanna be citizen?

i think those who choose to benefit from dual citizenship won't stop at 2 if they were to be given the opportunity.

when times of trouble arise, they'll probably the first ones who jump boat easily.

not all dual holders are like this, but i would view it as such.

because PRC wants SG passport

jet li, gong li and vicky zhao ... all millionaires ... you think they live in sg?

if singapore allow dual citizenship

prc, indonesia richie, hk richie, taiwan richie, korean richie, all Q up like condo launch to get SG passport

SG passport can travel around the world almost all countries visa free unless you go places like Syria, etc

Not sure what it means.

Always thought it is just semantics.

PR status in Singapore - can buy HDB, use our healthcare, use school yet no need NS.. Why still wanna be citizen?

Edited by Wt_know

Today, one do not need citizenship to run away in time of troubles. With all the FTAs in place, most people do not need a visa to go to most countries on earth for a period of time. So I don't believe the notion of DC allowing them to run away really applies.

do you mean allowing sporean to have dual citizenship but spore (country) do not allow dual citizenship???

anyway, jet li and gong li would love to have a copy of USA passport since both of them are sporean

dual citizenship will not benefit Gong li, vicky zhao ... it will benefit more of Singaporeans who are working long term abroad and taking up foreign citizenship. Neither PRC nor India allows dualcitizenship.

Edited by Wt_know

ok .. fair enough

so, you mean allowing sporean to have dual citizenship but spore (country) do not allow dual citizenship

then i am sure jet li, gong li and vicky zhao would love to have a copy of USA passport too

huh ? :huh:

how can sporean have dual if spore don't allow?

Supercharged

If allow, then our years in NS all wasted ! I totally disagree.

Seriously the main reason why govt do not allow it is because of NS.

Oh.

Is it that because singapore does not allow dual citizenship means they cannot enjoy benefits of other countries as citizens even if that country can have dual citizenship?

then allow dual citizenship for man after 45 years old? lolz

If allow, then our years in NS all wasted ! I totally disagree.

Seriously the main reason why govt do not allow it is because of NS.

haha ... ang mo tua kee ma

show US passport is a big deal ma ... always seen in movie ... american american

Actually, having the US passport is not much use and you are liable for U.S. taxes, unless you need to live and work there.

Edited by Wt_know