Dual Citizenship For Singapore? Your Views?

Vulcann

Dual Citizenship For Singapore?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree to dual citizenship to counter the adverse effects of our declining birth rate & ageing population?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral

Supercharged

Same as all of you.. i just chose to abandon ship instead of waiting for it to drown [;)]

But the 'ship' is still sea-worthy and sailing..... :mellow:

↡ Advertisement

I'm a quitter, I immediately contacted immigration to ask how to renounce my citizenship when i got my Aus one.

Took quite a few emails and calls here and there to find out who to send the documents to, which is why i believe that you can keep your citizenship till the day that you want to renew your passport. Not me, i was just glad to get rid of it, and if i recall correctly, I had to pay to throw my IC in ah gong's face [laugh]

Bro it takes courage to do that and I guess it must have been a difficult decision.

Just do not have the means (read $$$) else I will contemplate as well.

Looking at my two young ones and the BIG, BIG plans they are proposing for all of us in time to come, I just hope and pray my kiddos will be able to cope when the time comes...

All this freely giving away citizenship like its dam cheap... cheapen singapore in the eyes of FT.. they feel they can just walk all over us.. like if they don't come here, singapore will die.

locals are just cannon fodder. that's why many want to leave. want children also want to have them in other countries to avoid being slaves here.

this seems to be the sentiment some are posting here. I don't blame them. I also think likewise.

we can only blame ourselves for letting them cheapen our citizenship

US citizens have to pay high taxes where ever they earn their money from.

French citizens are subject to 75% tax.

If give me dual citizenship, I would still take Singapore and maybe HK or Canada/Australia (their tax man not so siong)

Edited by Viceroymenthol

the authority can try to say "Yes" for dual citizenship for Singapore.

i reckon in a short time, there will be many rich and almighty people rushing in before the foreign commoners reach the immigration office.

for the locals, i believe it is a firm "No".

for the foreigners and PRs, i believe it is mostly a "Yes".

from my understanding, the only loyalty living thing is dog.

you don't expect a human to be like one. :D

If dual citizenship, then those super rich will swarm in. Tax savings if come here compare to staying in Europe and even Australia. Then when time to retire, go back home countries where they can receive pensions.

I think one way to go about it is to let existing Singaporeans take second citizenship elsewhere, but not let outsiders acquire Singaporean nationality to supplement theirs. There is a difference.

Of course, people will KPKB and say unfair, but Singapore where got fair one?

Will also test the loyalty of some 'true-blue' Singaporeans in crisis.

I think one way to go about it is to let existing Singaporeans take second citizenship elsewhere, but not let outsiders acquire Singaporean nationality to supplement theirs. There is a difference.

Of course, people will KPKB and say unfair, but Singapore where got fair one?

Will also test the loyalty of some 'true-blue' Singaporeans in crisis.

what a good suggestion! [laugh]

but i am pretty sure, this proposal won't happen.

don't forget, we are no longer 1st class citizen in queue! :D

my nieces also have dual citizenship, one just reached 21 this year and was asked to choose one. i just told her no need to think so much, drop the pink one will do

my nieces also have dual citizenship, one just reached 21 this year and was asked to choose one. i just told her no need to think so much, drop the pink one will do

big diff here is nieces, if its nephews, they will need to serve their NS before they are allowed to "drop the pink".

Which is quite stupid since its very obvious that one has family elsewhere, yet they must do their 2 years before they can join their family. But then its the govt's way of ensuring theres no escape from NS.

Bro it takes courage to do that and I guess it must have been a difficult decision.

Just do not have the means (read $$$) else I will contemplate as well.

Looking at my two young ones and the BIG, BIG plans they are proposing for all of us in time to come, I just hope and pray my kiddos will be able to cope when the time comes...

Nah, I did it with little money, even working as a waiter earns you more than in SG. So all you need is to bite the bullet. Everyone around you will keep asking why for the first few years, then when they get screwed over and over by ah gong, they will stop asking. [:p] True story.

Nah, I did it with little money, even working as a waiter earns you more than in SG. So all you need is to bite the bullet. Everyone around you will keep asking why for the first few years, then when they get screwed over and over by ah gong, they will stop asking. [:p] True story.

I too feel the same however my parents did pay for my education here. All I did was work part time as a bar washer and save all the money I can to apply for pr and to pay for my living expenses.

My little baby girl now has dual too but I'm not dropping my pink for australian just yet. Although every time I go back singapore it doesn't quite feel like home anymore.

big diff here is nieces, if its nephews, they will need to serve their NS before they are allowed to "drop the pink".

Which is quite stupid since its very obvious that one has family elsewhere, yet they must do their 2 years before they can join their family. But then its the govt's way of ensuring theres no escape from NS.

Think for boys drop before they turned 18 will do.

Supercharged

No lah.... all pink IC males can opt not to do NS by giving up the pink IC (before enlisting). No need to serve first then give up. Same as those blue IC males (meaning PRs).

Supercharged

But don't forget the tax in SG is lower.... standard of living in SG also lower.

There is no prefect country in this world lah... [:(]

Nope, too many people had to serve before they were allowed to drop. I believe the key is that they must not have enjoyed any "benefits" after 12 years old, if not, they MUST serve before they can drop.

Seen too many who were doing their NS while their families had already left for good. And one guy I know haven't lived in SG for 10 years, have no intention to return to SG to live and was still asked to serve NS.

↡ Advertisement