Starter Motor Re-conditioning

Jetabout777

I drove 8-9 year old datsuns b4 ty start e coe system n a 10 year old excel n a 19 year old corona cd coe car b4.

Never had such bad luck. Even my frens last time drive old swift n corolla never had it.

I guess if suay then wil kenna. But if starter never disengage u can hear e starter whining as u drive.

Japs are more reliable or maybe your car previous owners have change it

I used to drive a very famous conti car(COE), had to change out the starter motor

and later when the gearbox got problems, I scrapped it

↡ Advertisement

Japs are more reliable or maybe your car previous owners have change it

I used to drive a very famous conti car(COE), had to change out the starter motor

and later when the gearbox got problems, I scrapped it

Older contis usually hv reliability issues. Even some newer contis still not as reliable as japs or koreans even.

Main advantage of contis is e good handling.

Neutral Newbie

You can try various salvage yards across your city for a good condition used one. If you don't get it there, you might want to try online used stores. Paying so much to re-con a starter motor is really absurd! You could get a replacement for lesser than that.

Neutral Newbie

$200 - $300 to re co a starter? From what i know its to ex, i did mine at sin ming last year for my odyssey at around $90, it take around 2 hours to done the job.U can also get it recon in JB (shop name Hong Nam, bear to carefour at around RM 150 to Rm 200 depend on model.

Pls help,Where exactly is the shop in sin ming you mentioned.

$200 - $300 to re co a starter? From what i know its to ex, i did mine at sin ming last year for my odyssey at around $90, it take around 2 hours to done the job.U can also get it recon in JB (shop name Hong Nam, bear to carefour at around RM 150 to Rm 200 depend on model.

Just curious, any idea what they actually do to recond the motor ?

Just curious, any idea what they actually do to recond the motor ?

Nothing much really

Diodes, brushes and clean out rotor and stator coils maybe spray some electrical paint to prevent moisture

Labour is the real culprit

Besides all these, the auto mech will have to use a growler to check the armature for internal short or grounding.If in perfect conditions , the armature commutator will have to be machined to remove all the wear marks. After this process the commutator grooves will have to be clean to prevent short circuit.

Etc etc , so a 100% rebuilt is not so simple

post-272-1365925741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Besides all these, the auto mech will have to use a growler to check the armature for internal short or grounding.If in perfect conditions , the armature commutator will have to be machined to remove all the wear marks. After this process the commutator grooves will have to be clean to prevent short circuit.

Etc etc , so a 100% rebuilt is not so simple

Excuse me for bringing up this thread, my car starter motor's cranking is loud. Is it faulty ?

• Praise 1

There is a solenoid that engages e starter motor gear to e flywheel when u turn e key n it crank.

If e gear does not disengage fm e flywheel when u release e key e starter keeps turning while u drive n it wil burn out.

U sud hear a whining sound if this happens while u r driving.

Get e solenoid checked in case its faulty.

Ive been driving many years n never had to fix e starter motor b4. It sud not spoil in normal use.

Also cranking a hard to start engine fr too long can burn out e motor.

My car could be having starter prob. When I googled ....ehow ......point 4 seems familiar

===================================================

Listen for grinding and freewheeling. A grinding noise indicates that the starter's drive gear isn't disengaging from the flywheel's gear teeth, or isn't engaging the flywheel completely. Along with or separate from grinding, you may hear a whirring after starting that sounds something like an electric motor or jet engine. The starter's drive gear has a freewheeler in it that keeps your engine from over-running the starter motor and driving it like a generator. The whirring you hear is the sound of the gear failing to disengage, which may indicate a bad return spring or solenoid.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_4845780_spot-symptoms-of-bad-starter.html

====================================================

- i hear a low whirring when driving. Notice its not about engine rpm but rather the faster ther car, the more obvious the whirring. Its obvious from 50kmh......while cruising slowly at 1k rpm to a stop. Maybe the whirring still occurs at higher rpm just that the louder engine muffles the sound out

- Also after driving for say 20km over 1 hr, if i off the engine and only start it next morning after 10hrs, seems fine. However, if i off the engine after covering the same distance/time & try to start again after 10 mins, can feel some struggle or maybe as per how ehow calls it 'chugging'.

- Today in the afternoon, while warming the car while finishing a ciggy, can hear low whirring sound from what sounds like originating from the front left area of the engine bay.

You think most likely is the starter motor? Any idea for Getz 1.4, whats the price for a recon set Vs a brand new? Thanks.

PS : as per what u mentioned, I do hear a high pitch whining sound when I apply throttle. This started months ago. Then from a few weeks back, the low whirring.....sigh

================================================

Hi @KB27 understand u drove a Getz previously, do u have any advice/insights reg the above? Thanks.

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 2

My car could be having starter prob. When I googled ....ehow ......point 4 seems familiar

===================================================

Listen for grinding and freewheeling. A grinding noise indicates that the starter's drive gear isn't disengaging from the flywheel's gear teeth, or isn't engaging the flywheel completely. Along with or separate from grinding, you may hear a whirring after starting that sounds something like an electric motor or jet engine. The starter's drive gear has a freewheeler in it that keeps your engine from over-running the starter motor and driving it like a generator. The whirring you hear is the sound of the gear failing to disengage, which may indicate a bad return spring or solenoid.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_4845780_spot-symptoms-of-bad-starter.html

====================================================

- i hear a low whirring when driving. Notice its not about engine rpm but rather the faster ther car, the more obvious the whirring. Its obvious from 50kmh......while cruising slowly at 1k rpm to a stop. Maybe the whirring still occurs at higher rpm just that the louder engine muffles the sound out

- Also after driving for say 20km over 1 hr, if i off the engine and only start it next morning after 10hrs, seems fine. However, if i off the engine after covering the same distance/time & try to start again after 10 mins, can feel some struggle or maybe as per how ehow calls it 'chugging'.

- Today in the afternoon, while warming the car while finishing a ciggy, can hear low whirring sound from what sounds like originating from the front left area of the engine bay.

You think most likely is the starter motor? Any idea for Getz 1.4, whats the price for a recon set Vs a brand new? Thanks.

PS : as per what u mentioned, I do hear a high pitch whining sound when I apply throttle. This started months ago. Then from a few weeks back, the low whirring.....sigh

================================================

Hi @KB27 understand u drove a Getz previously, do u have any advice/insights reg the above? Thanks.

From what I understand, if you have a wong-wong-wong sound and it increases and decreases with speed, it's a wheel bearing problem.

• Praise 1

From what I understand, if you have a wong-wong-wong sound and it increases and decreases with speed, it's a wheel bearing problem.

Ok, thanks bro. Hopefully thats the case. 1.5 yrs to go. Hopefully, can swee swee pull thru. Just dont want to end up 1 day cannot start, gotta take urgent leave, call the tow services....etc.

• Praise 3

My starter motor working for 10 years since day one, never once had problem, If you need to recondition the motor, then the quality must be pretty lousy and you ought to change to another brand of starter motor.

Neutral Newbie

South East Battery Service Pte Ltd

Office: 12N Enterprise Road, Singapore 627693

Office:+65 6466 0155 | Fax: +65 6467 0884

They provide repair services for starters, alternators, aircon repair etc at reasonable price.

Turbocharged

My car has a grinding sound during the cranking start of the engine. No problem starting. If bring to workshop, will they change the starter motor or flywheel or both?

My car has a grinding sound during the cranking start of the engine. No problem starting. If bring to workshop, will they change the starter motor or flywheel or both?

Info sharing,hopes can solves your issues.

Do Try below shop, they re condition/service my car starter motor years back.

De Sheng Trading

Address: 711 Geylang Rd #01-03 Oriental Venture Bldg

City of Central Region

Categories: Car Electric Repairs, Companies & Businesses

↡ Advertisement