Renault Megane vs Avante vs Lancer GLX

Versatile

Anybody care to comments? Pros and cons?

Am helping a friend looking for 07 1.6 sedan with 6.2k depreciation. Currently market doesn't allow him to look at Toyota (VIOS) or Nissan (Latio) as the depreciation is ridiculously high at 8k-9k plus.

Only 4 door sedan please. strictly no hatchback.

Would interested to know more on Megane in terms of maintenance, fc and parts cost compared to GLX and Avante.

So far, Megane has the highest OMV of 19-20K with low depreciation of 5k+ annually and 10k scrap return.

↡ Advertisement

Am helping a friend looking for 07 1.6 sedan with 6.2k depreciation. Currently market doesn't allow him to look at Toyota (VIOS) or Nissan (Latio) as the depreciation is ridiculously high at 8k-9k plus.

Would interested to know more on Megane in terms of maintenance, fc and parts cost compared to GLX and Avante.

So far, Megane has the highest OMV of 19-20K with low depreciation of 5k+ annually and 10k scrap return.

Avante la.. waiting for what? :D

Anante [thumbsup]

don't expect Megane and CLX give you good fc

Anante [thumbsup]

don't expect Megane and CLX give you good fc

Heard Megane has to do major servicing every 60K?

I got a friend's friend driving megane and is doing a 10/11km with 17".

Heard Megane has to do major servicing every 60K?

I got a friend's friend driving megane and is doing a 10/11km with 17".

yah, Megane general service interval is 15k or 1 year whichever come first,

so major service interval 60k,

to achive 10/11km/l fc, have to be very light foot and at least 50% highway travel

If choose between Megane vs Avante vs Lancer GLX, sure will get avante. Since lancer GLX is a very "old" car liao, and megane doesnt seems to be cheap to maintain?! [rolleyes]

yah, Megane general service interval is 15k or 1 year whichever come first,

so major service interval 60k,

to achive 10/11km/l fc, have to be very light foot and at least 50% highway travel

in return of higher chance survivability in a very bad crash compared to the other 2..it's worth every penny.

Used to owned a Megane Scenic( mechanically similar to Megane sedan ) for 2.5 years( from 2002 to late 2004 ).

Generally reliable, slow pick up but at highway speed very stable, you feel "safe" driving it because of stability.

Like a bro mentioned, body is solidly built.

Maintainance is only slightly more than Japanese cars. ( For e.g - 60k mileage : i changed timing belt, water pump, all the belts, rear brake pads plus change all fluids like engine oil, brake fluid, coolant and ATF for about $900+ )

All servicing done at Billy Car Care at Sin Ming, they are Renault's authorised workshop using genuine Renault parts.( Not sure whether they are still authorised Renault workshop or not )

Only issue i had during the 2.5 years ownership was the gearbox sensor which cost $400+ to replace. When coming to a stop at traffic lights, gearbox drops gear automatically, but gear was stuck in gear 2 at lights, after few seconds at lights then the gear drops to gear one with a thud.

2010 Megane II owner here so maybe i can try to brush off some of the myths mentioned here by naysayers.

FC wise its not going to beat the japs or koreans, but with my driving style (60% city, 40% urban) on a 55L fuel tank, i get an average range of 550km, so that translates to a Fc of 10-11km/l on average.

You're not going to win any traffic light sprints on the 110bhp/148Nm engine coupled with a 10 year old 4-speed autobox, but it does the job nicely in city traffic and highway speeds. Just for your info, the RPM is about 2,800 at 100kph. I've taken this car to a speed of 180km/h up north with no problems on stability; and overtaking is quite comfortable as the torque band on this car comes in at 3,500RPM onwards. Cruise control is standard on facelift models, easy to use and set for NSH runs.

Safety wise, well the car has experienced rear end bumps where the taxi (no surprises) at fault suffered bad frontal damage, and my car was still drivable albeith a missing rear license late and slightly dented boot/rear bumpers. Havent and hopefully won't test the extent of the airbags (6 of them) deployment.

Maintenance, on normal servicing with Wearnes (every 10,000km) with oil filter, aircon filter, EO change etc costs about $330. Major servicing may cost up to $600 but its to be expected from the stealership. BCC and Espace definately will be cheaper. More details on servicing can be found at the RCC forums.

If you're looking to get a second hand model i would advise get the facelift models; preferably 08 models onwards, with updated front grille, interior and dashboard. Later versions don't suffer the ignition coil failures, and power window failures (so far i've read and researched). If your friend is a typical Toyota-mindset driver, then stick with the other two options. If he can accept the small niggles about the Megane (slight rattles, slow pickup, slightly heavy FC etc) then i would encourage him to get one, but prepare to set aside a minimum of $3k to settle the maintenance and major parts replacement. Assuming the previous owner has diligently stuck to the maintenance regime, the car should be relatively problem free. There are many examples of meganes out there, do take your time to test each and everyone with someone experienced, or call one of the guys from RCC to assist you.

↡ Advertisement