Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic | 60 praises

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Ncp91
  • Ncp91
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

While changing engine oil recently, my workshop informed me that my valve cover was leaking oil and needed fixing. So a replacement part was duly procured and I took the opportunity to look at the insides of my 1NZ-FE engine:

Photo0119.jpg

The cause of the oil leak. A perished rubber seal was the culprit. All these were meant to be one single rubber part.

Photo0113.jpg

All shiny and slick. The oil is dark because its 10,000km old.

Continued in the next post......

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Ncp91
  • Ncp91
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Photo0115.jpg

Timing chain and VVTi mechanism. Chain looks ok.

Photo0117.jpg

Looking down into the valves

Photo0120.jpg

The new rubber seal is back into the valve cover.

And all this is done on bargain-basement priced C engine oil, serviced every 10,000km, typically driven in stop-go traffic, occasional visits to redline.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Siewss
  • Siewss
    5th Gear
    Author Image

How much did it cost you to change the valve cover seal (parts + labor)?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Timing chain and VVTi mechanism. Chain looks ok.

Looking down into the valves

The new rubber seal is back into the valve cover.

And all this is done on bargain-basement priced C engine oil, serviced every 10,000km, typically driven in stop-go traffic, occasional visits to redline.

I too had the manifold gasked replaced twice on my 6yr old 130k km optra.
I was surprised why it leak so often n e mech said its a common problem wh c oil. I dunno how true this is though.

My previous corona also used c but never had this problem.

I think its more design n parts quality issue.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Ncp91
  • Ncp91
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

How much did it cost you to change the valve cover seal (parts + labor)?

$50 fitted. I don't know how much the part itself cost though.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Ncp91
  • Ncp91
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I was surprised why it leak so often n e mech said its a common problem wh c oil. I dunno how true this is though.

Manifold gasket would never touch engine oil, right?

Mine is the valve cover rubber seal. I suppose some types of engines use metallic/paper gaskets for a good seal between valve cover and block instead. I assumed mine was a paper gasket until the valve cover came off. I'm surprised rubber lasted so long against the heat of the engine.....

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

Trex101
  • Trex101
    6th Gear
    Author Image

What type of engine oil did you usually used? do you stick to 1 brand or try out a lot of brand?
<b>My Orange Ford Territory Ghia - Philips Xtreme Vision 130+, NGK ZFR6FIX-11 Iridium, Redline 0w30, Redline Racing ATF, Redline Heavy Weight Shockproof </b>

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Zxcvb
  • Zxcvb
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Not bad for a 1.5 toyota engine, still looks good. thumbsup.gif

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Manifold gasket would never touch engine oil, right?

Mine is the valve cover rubber seal. I suppose some types of engines use metallic/paper gaskets for a good seal between valve cover and block instead. I assumed mine was a paper gasket until the valve cover came off. I'm surprised rubber lasted so long against the heat of the engine.....

That part of e engine is sprayed wh oil as e camshaft spins n oil is splashing around in there. U try to open e oil filler cap when engine is running then u know.

Early engines used cork gaskets but now i see all r rubber. Maybe its silicon rubber so oil dun affect it.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

$50 fitted. I don't know how much the part itself cost though.

That's very inexpensive, I'd a fren who drives a jap ride changed at agent for 100plus last year.

Wc workshop is that? The mech knows the sequence of fastening n torquing right? U have the specs?

Edited by Fuelsaver, 23 February 2013 - 08:06 AM.

FS

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Blue850r
  • Blue850r
    4th Gear
    Author Image

So the workshop just bad mouth the brand of oil you had been using. c-- ---e triple R is a good oil.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

That's very inexpensive, I'd a fren who drives a jap ride changed at agent for 100plus last year.

Just e rubber gasket fr my optra already abt $50. Add labour abt $100 already.

My old corona e rubber only abt $15 only n it lasts much longer.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So the workshop just bad mouth the brand of oil you had been using. c-- ---e triple R is a good oil.

Ya maybe cos i know c triple r is a good oil. I using it fr maybe >10 yrs ever since it 1st started selling in SG.

Also cud b his ws dun hv this oil so he try to trick me into using some of e crappy oils he do have. Hahaha.

But seems funny other kaki here also use c n hv manifold gasket leak? Maybe it contains something that eats e rubber gasket?

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Just e rubber gasket fr my optra already abt $50. Add labour abt $100 already.

My old corona e rubber only abt $15 only n it lasts much longer.

About there. Urs super affordable.
FS

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

While changing engine oil recently, my workshop informed me that my valve cover was leaking oil and needed fixing. So a replacement part was duly procured and I took the opportunity to look at the insides of my 1NZ-FE engine:

The cause of the oil leak. A perished rubber seal was the culprit. All these were meant to be one single rubber part.

All shiny and slick. The oil is dark because its 10,000km old.

Continued in the next post......

Very gd condition. Can see virtually no wear.
FS

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

GoodCar
  • Premium member
    GoodCar
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Ya maybe cos i know c triple r is a good oil. I using it fr maybe >10 yrs ever since it 1st started selling in SG.

Also cud b his ws dun hv this oil so he try to trick me into using some of e crappy oils he do have. Hahaha.

But seems funny other kaki here also use c n hv manifold gasket leak? Maybe it contains something that eats e rubber gasket?

Unless the oil is aeroplane oil.

Simple gasket change cost so much knife.gif In Singapore.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Unless the oil is aeroplane oil.

Simple gasket change cost so much knife.gif In Singapore.

Rubber gasket 50bucks n labour abt 50bucks. By SG standard is quite cheap already.

I go jb do only abt rm 120.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Wc workshop is that? The mech knows the sequence of fastening n torquing right? U have the specs?

Valve cover only la. No need to what torque specs. It's the valve head that needs it when you change head gasket.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Ncp91
  • Ncp91
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

That part of e engine is sprayed wh oil as e camshaft spins n oil is splashing around in there. U try to open e oil filler cap when engine is running then u know.

Early engines used cork gaskets but now i see all r rubber. Maybe its silicon rubber so oil dun affect it.

Oh ok. To me, manifold gasket refers to the exhaust or intake manifold gasket. Which shouldn't come in contact with oil.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Ncp91
  • Ncp91
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

One of the workshops in AMK Autopoint. Honestly they had put the cover back on quite quickly so I can't be sure if they done it in the right sequence and torque or not. I guess I'll find out if my engine bay continues to be oily. But they've been a very good workshop to me and I assume they will put things right if something went wrong.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: engine, after

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users