Petrol Price Movement in Singapore

Friendstar

My experience with a turbo passed the 2-year mark 2 months ago.  The car manual mentioned 95.  I'm hesitating to step down to 92 since turbo creates extra compression (pressure) which the RON factor is an important consideration to avoid pre-mature firing (or pre-mature ejaculation if you like).

Before, all along non-turbo and on 95 for the longest time.  I'm usually quite sensitive to any performance change.  If I should take the plunge to trial out 92, I'll let you guys know my experience.

thanks for the advice. i'm quite sure it's not placebo effect.  

cos all along i have been using 95 for all my cars because i have tried 98 and there's no difference at all.

even in my ex Volvo, 2L turbo,  i tried both 95 and 98 and there's no difference (except V-Power, really can tell) but because it's polestar tuned, the recommendation is to use 98 so i LLST.

in my current car (also a 2L turbo but stock), strangely, 95 is very laggy. it's like driving on Eco mode all the time. I tried 2 consecutive tanks, 1st with Shell and 2nd with SPC. both the same sluggish feel. the moment i switched back to 98, the feeling is back.

i also wish i can use 95.. the savings is like $80 per mth. but for a better driving feel, i think i can still afford the $2.50 extra per day la, just that sometimes still "buay gam wan" to pay extra :D

Actually, I also cannot feel the difference between 95 and 98 in my car. But what I know is 98 gave me more mileage compared to 95.

However I still prefer 95 as its cheaper. The extra mileage from 98 does not equal to the savings I get from 95.

Edited by Reo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My experience with a turbo passed the 2-year mark 2 months ago.  The car manual mentioned 95.  I'm hesitating to step down to 92 since turbo creates extra compression (pressure) which the RON factor is an important consideration to avoid pre-mature firing (or pre-mature ejaculation if you like).

Before, all along non-turbo and on 95 for the longest time.  I'm usually quite sensitive to any performance change.  If I should take the plunge to trial out 92, I'll let you guys know my experience.

The cost delta between 95 & 92 isn't big enough to justify moving to 92 for any savings..

So I would suggest you stick to 95.

As for the Vpower vs the rest, I have some friends who just do it, and they don't care if it makes a difference.

I feel there is an improvement, and I know some bros will mention that we won't get proportionately more mileage, but if you consider all those ECU chips or other enhancements, here's a simple enhancement that boosts power and mileage, with no damage to your car or side effects.

The main damage will be to your wallet, so I always look forward to a run in M'sia, where I can stretch the legs of my car, and also enjoy some VPower on the cheap!

My experience with a turbo passed the 2-year mark 2 months ago. The car manual mentioned 95. I'm hesitating to step down to 92 since turbo creates extra compression (pressure) which the RON factor is an important consideration to avoid pre-mature firing (or pre-mature ejaculation if you like).

Before, all along non-turbo and on 95 for the longest time. I'm usually quite sensitive to any performance change. If I should take the plunge to trial out 92, I'll let you guys know my experience.

My manual says "premium petrol" iirc.

But as it's an export model, premium on other countries can mean Ron 91 and premium in SG context means 98

Edited by Theoldjaffa

Anyway that is the cost for owning a car ... even water going to increase by 30% .

Bro, I can't see the correlation between car ownership and the water tax?

Maybe you can explain that?

Somehow I think we try too hard to link everything together..

Kind of like, wild chicken running around, and someone out there will find a way to blame the government for that too..  [:p]

Bro, I can't see the correlation between car ownership and the water tax?

Maybe you can explain that?

Somehow I think we try too hard to link everything together..

Kind of like, wild chicken running around, and someone out there will find a way to blame the government for that too.. [:p]

Pai sei pai sei, I am not blaming the government. Before that I was thinking if water can be used to replace petrol in the future . Perphaps that might happen 1 day.

There isn't any point in monitoring the price of petrol . There is nothing we can do also ....

It's alright to criticise the government of the day, if we want to be a non-contented society and not resting on our laurels.  Diversity is certainly better than a few closed-group people who are in the same background (read incestuous) deciding for the rest of us.

The point is to illustrate a "reasonable" theory of causal effect for discussion.  [thumbsup] 

Pai sei pai sei, I am not blaming the government. Before that I was thinking if water can be used to replace petrol in the future . Perphaps that might happen 1 day.

There isn't any point in monitoring the price of petrol . There is nothing we can do also ....

The cost delta between 95 & 92 isn't big enough to justify moving to 92 for any savings..

So I would suggest you stick to 95.

Thanks for the tip.

As for the Vpower vs the rest, I have some friends who just do it, and they don't care if it makes a difference.

I feel there is an improvement, and I know some bros will mention that we won't get proportionately more mileage, but if you consider all those ECU chips or other enhancements, here's a simple enhancement that boosts power and mileage, with no damage to your car or side effects.

The main damage will be to your wallet, so I always look forward to a run in M'sia, where I can stretch the legs of my car, and also enjoy some VPower on the cheap!

I go JB for golfing at times but never bothered to look into VPower since I was not convinced with its marketed value from my previous experience trying it out in SG. I must admit though I've not worked out the price differential of 95 and VPower in JB.  Do you know ?

My F&^%ing manual says 95 premium octane fuel is recommended.  So I tried 95 loh...shell, esso, etc.

Arr ahhh....95 does make the car sluggish. Tried for few weeks, now back to premium-premium 98.  The mojo is back in my car.

I think the manual should be rewritten.  "Your minimum grade for fuel is 95 octane, but if you want chao ah beng feeling, please use 98 octane".  Actual the diff btw 95 n 98 is still not that great la.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the tip.

I go JB for golfing at times but never bothered to look into VPower since I was not convinced with its marketed value from my previous experience trying it out in SG. I must admit though I've not worked out the price differential of 95 and VPower in JB.  Do you know ?

In M'sia, I just pump... cheap cheap:)

Laggy is fine. But if the manual say a certain Ron number, don't go below it. It may be harmful to the engine.. the ping and knocking kind of issue.

• Praise 1

Laggy is fine. But if the manual say a certain Ron number, don't go below it. It may be harmful to the engine.. the ping and knocking kind of issue.

did a calculation before and in end, I use more......

sO 98 combusts more efficiently and more power from that effect

My engine feels laggy and is noticeably louder on 95 since I switched a week back. Even my OC can tell the difference.

Probably go back to 98 cos my mileage is less than 1000km a month so not much savings anyway.

My F&^%ing manual says 95 premium octane fuel is recommended. So I tried 95 loh...shell, esso, etc.

Arr ahhh....95 does make the car sluggish. Tried for few weeks, now back to premium-premium 98. The mojo is back in my car.

I think the manual should be rewritten. "Your minimum grade for fuel is 95 octane, but if you want chao ah beng feeling, please use 98 octane". Actual the diff btw 95 n 98 is still not that great la.

Though I not driving a sport car but I do pump 95 and 98, I seriously cant feel the diff

Though I not driving a sport car but I do pump 95 and 98, I seriously cant feel the diff

But confirm wallet feels better with 95

• Praise 11

With my FD, 92 didn't do so well. 

I do feel a bit more power, and some additional mileage with V Power. Obviously the net gain for mileage wasn't in proportion to the mileage, especially with our high prices, but it's nice to treat your car well, even if it's only V Power every once a month or something..

IMO, marginal driving, especially on 92 only is quite painful. I can do with less fancy meals, and put a little more Ron into my tank.. cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1