Road tax and insurance expiry mismatch question

LookingBusy

Hi all, my road tax is expiring on 19 March 2013, and my insurance on 09 Jul 2013. I will need to renew my road tax very soon, and from what i understand, i need to renew my insurance too to match with the road tax.

I intend to renew my road tax for 6 months which will expire on 18 Sep 2013 (if i calculate correctly). What should i do as regarding to my insurance? Do i call up the insurance coy and ask to extend for another 2 months? I bought my insurance through my used car dealer company (third party) from AXA. In this case, do i call directly to AXA for an extension or do i need to call my car dealer company and which they will liaise with AXA themselves for me?

Please advise. Thank you all.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all, my road tax is expiring on 19 March 2013, and my insurance on 09 Jul 2013. I will need to renew my road tax very soon, and from what i understand, i need to renew my insurance too to match with the road tax.

I intend to renew my road tax for 6 months which will expire on 18 Sep 2013 (if i calculate correctly). What should i do as regarding to my insurance? Do i call up the insurance coy and ask to extend for another 2 months? I bought my insurance through my used car dealer company (third party) from AXA. In this case, do i call directly to AXA for an extension or do i need to call my car dealer company and which they will liaise with AXA themselves for me?

Please advise. Thank you all.

you can call AXA to extend 2 months or get any car insurance agent to extend the 2 months... then in Sept, you buy again till 18th march... from then on... should be aligned liao..

i also just faced the same issue lol

Thanks. What about my NCD? Do they factor this in for the 2 months that i extend? This is only my first year insurance fyi :D

You can ask the insurance company when you call them mah....

Usually just pay the same for another 2 months same price, but I guess you can ask them for NCD, maybe different for different companies.

Well anyway, some advice for u: it's good to look for prices from different companies for your 2nd year.

Neutral Newbie

I just did mine, you have to go down to Axa and they will count the remaining 2 mths from the amount u buy for one year. For example 1 yr $1200. The 2 mths premium will be $200.

Insurance can be quoted and bought based on monthly (in overseas even on daily basis). Just that you only qualify for NCD accumulation if you buy a whole year.

Not true leh.... I called Chartis today, they are only willing to extend the 1 month which I am short of to make the half yearly road tax. They are unwilling to extend 7 months to align the insurance to my car registration anniversary. (say 6 months is the max extention)

That being the case, I'll always have to renew road tax half yearly. What crap....... makes me feel like asking other insurance companies to quote me now to start on my car registration date. Then select one and cancel Chartis on the date the new insurance kicks in and get back my pro rated premium for the balance 5 months. That seems to be the only way to align both insurance to car registration.

you can call AXA to extend 2 months or get any car insurance agent to extend the 2 months... then in Sept, you buy again till 18th march... from then on... should be aligned liao..

i also just faced the same issue lol

How to buy half yearly insurance? Chartis doesn't even want to extend 7 months for me, let alone sell me fresh half year insurance when my current full year is up.

Not true leh.... I called Chartis today, they are only willing to extend the 1 month which I am short of to make the half yearly road tax. They are unwilling to extend 7 months to align the insurance to my car registration anniversary. (say 6 months is the max extention)

That being the case, I'll always have to renew road tax half yearly. What crap....... makes me feel like asking other insurance companies to quote me now to start on my car registration date. Then select one and cancel Chartis on the date the new insurance kicks in and get back my pro rated premium for the balance 5 months. That seems to be the only way to align both insurance to car registration.

You should try other insurance company or even engage a broker to do it for you.

Turbocharged
(edited)

You should try other insurance company or even engage a broker to do it for you.

mine with aunty lucy.. also had about 5 months gap.

they simply told me to go down to their office and extend so that it matches with road tax.

no such nonsense can do only 1 month extension.

Edited by Solar

they simply told me to go down to their office and extend so that it matches with road tax.

Yes, they can align to closest road tax. But that is the half year period. U want ti align to registration date so that I can do renewal

Yes, they can align to closest road tax. But that is the half year period. I want to align to registration date so that I can do renewal on yearly basis

I faced the same issue. In order to get my NCD, went down to LTA sin ming to align my road tax to my insurance instead. Can be done.

Just top up remaining road tax until insurance expiry. Thereafter, aligned already.

When you buy a used car and get a one year insurance this mis-timing of road tax is sure to happen. Just extend the insurance by a few months to match the next road tax. Subsequently, renew insurance will be for one full year with perfect timing with road tax. :mellow:

However, NCD will only start on full one year renewal. Not applicable for extensions.