Question on COE bidding and car arrival dates.

Thegodzilla

Just 2 questions.

1)If order a car indented from overseas, can the dealer register the car with a current Open Cat COE it holds even before the car arrive?

For example, a car due to arrive in 3 months, but the dealer has an open Cat COE it bidded for last month (due to expire in another 2 months from today).

Can that car be registered under this COE (to buyer) even before the car arrive?

Or must wait till car arrive on shore?

2) Can that dealer bid for a normal cat (A/B) COE for the buyer, and register the car, even before that car reaches SIngapore?

For example, a car due to arrive in 3 months, but dealer bids for and obtains a normal Cat. (A/B) COE for the buyer in the coming 1 month.

Thank you very much

↡ Advertisement

Just 2 questions.

1)If order a car indented from overseas, can the dealer register the car with a current Open Cat COE it holds even before the car arrive?

For example, a car due to arrive in 3 months, but the dealer has an open Cat COE it bidded for last month (due to expire in another 2 months from today).

Can that car be registered under this COE (to buyer) even before the car arrive?

Or must wait till car arrive on shore?

2) Can that dealer bid for a normal cat (A/B) COE for the buyer, and register the car, even before that car reaches SIngapore?

For example, a car due to arrive in 3 months, but dealer bids for and obtains a normal Cat. (A/B) COE for the buyer in the coming 1 month.

Thank you very much

Most likely cannot because all cars to be registered has to have a Inward Cargo Clearance Permit which I believe is only issued when the car arrives and clear customs.

Looks like you cannot and the car must be inspected unless it has been type-approved (somewhere in the document) I may be wrong. Best to check with Dealer, or if you are self-importing, email LTA if you cannot find teh information in Onemotoring.

From Onemotoring:

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onem...ile.tmp/Car.pdf

Once in-principle approval has been given, LTA will notify the importer to present the car for an inspection at any of the LTA-authorised vehicle inspection centre where an inspection fee will be charged.

Once the vehicle has passed its inspection, LTA Vehicle Engineering Division will issue an approval letter with a Vehicle Approval Code (VAC) to the importer. With this VAC, the importer may proceed to prepare for registration of the vehicle

Hi!

Sorry for the confusion!

That car is a normal car. Just that the dealer (main authorized dealer for a major brand) does not have stock in the colour preferred at the moment. No ex-stock, so must indent.

The above questions are mainly because a car was purchased recently, just days before the announcement of the cooling measures.

With COE prices predicted to fall, just wondering if that was a raw deal if the dealer insists on registering the car with

a) an open Cat COE it currently might hold (to siam the increase in ARF)

b) a COE obtained from the upcoming rounds of bidding in March, when prices might still be high.

Hi!

Sorry for the confusion!

That car is a normal car. Just that the dealer (main authorized dealer for a major brand) does not have stock in the colour preferred at the moment. No ex-stock, so must indent.

The above questions are mainly because a car was purchased recently, just days before the announcement of the cooling measures.

With COE prices predicted to fall, just wondering if that was a raw deal if the dealer insists on registering the car with

a) an open Cat COE it currently might hold (to siam the increase in ARF)

b) a COE obtained from the upcoming rounds of bidding in March, when prices might still be high.

The T&C allows the AD to register your car with either Cat E or your Cat (A/B). Your fate is in their hands. best to call them.

Yup agreed. Have read the T&C. They don't have to tell me anything apparently.

Tried to call but got a "they can't tell me what they wanna do, until they have done it".

That's why I'm asking the above in the 1st post.

1) Can the car be registered under Open Cat COE even before it arrives in Singapore?

2) Can dealer bid normal (A/B) COE for buyer before car arrives in Singapore?

Yes, they can but to do so means your car's clock starts. You can demand compensation as you dont get to use the car for 365x10 days.

Normally we lose about 2 weeks after it is registered as we need to do factory fitting of Solar Film, Rims, Tuff Kote and other stuffs.

My understanding is that they will not register your car till it arrives. Can anyone else here help?

And yes, they can bid anything for you. But if you car arrives, they may hold it in the free trade zone (IIRC) (possible to hold it outside?) and then allocate to you once they get your COE as long as it is within your contract duration (3 bids, 6 bids etc).

Or, they refund you without any penalty on their end.

Simple logical answers.

1. No. How can registration be done if there is no import documentation, and how do you obtain import documentation? Only through physical importation right?

2. Can bid but cannot register until car comes in. However, put yourself in dealer's shoes. Will you take the risks? Many things can happen even when your car has left factory.

For more information, please visit onemotoring.com.sg

Tried to call but got a "they can't tell me what they wanna do, until they have done it".

1) Can the car be registered under Open Cat COE even before it arrives in Singapore?

Now asking back this question?

What after LTA allow you to register now and after 3 month vehicle did not arrive due to world recession or you change you mind on the model? Will you ask LTA to return back the money paid for the COE who had already registered on that vehicle?

LTA only allow new vehicle to register when they see the "Import Tax" receipt.... [:(]

1) I'm quite sure u can't register before the car is here cos got no chassis no etc

2) can bid now if they think the car can come before the Coe expires. They can also use their existing open cat Coe if they wish to do so. Unfortunately u got no say

• Praise 3

(edited)

No issue with the dealer and you at all. The new measures will affect deals that struck on or after 26.2.13. Example: if purchase agreement was sealed before 26.2.13, everything under old rule. 100% loan 0 DP 10 yrs and ARF based on 100% omv. This also mean even coe is secured in march 13 or later, your deal with the car dealer is still under old rules. On the other hand, if no purchase agreement inked before 26.2.13, it will be under new rules.

So you have to ask yourself whether you had signed the purchase agreement before 26.2.13. If yes, you won't be affected by the new rules. Don't need to bother whether dealer can register your yet to arrive car or not. And I think you can forget about profiting from the expected drop in COE if you have signed the purchase agreement before 26.2.13, you just have to pay the agreed price even if the dealer secured COE at $1 in the upcoming bid for you. However if that's the case you should benefit from coe rebate as per your agreement with the dealer. If you had signed b4 26.2.13 and your dealer already secured the coe for you, you are 100% under old rules.

Either way I don't see how you can profit from the expected drop in coe. Well, the coe might drop a bit only so don't think so much lah.

Edited by Sdxx

No issue with the dealer and you at all. The new measures will affect deals that struck on or after 26.2.13. Example: if purchase agreement was sealed before 26.2.13, everything under old rule. 100% loan 0 DP 10 yrs and ARF based on 100% omv. This also mean even coe is secured in march 13 or later, your deal with the car dealer is still under old rules. On the other hand, if no purchase agreement inked before 26.2.13, it will be under new rules.

So you have to ask yourself whether you had signed the purchase agreement before 26.2.13. If yes, you won't be affected by the new rules. Don't need to bother whether dealer can register your yet to arrive car or not. And I think you can forget about profiting from the expected drop in COE if you have signed the purchase agreement before 26.2.13, you just have to pay the agreed price even if the dealer secured COE at $1 in the upcoming bid for you. However if that's the case you should benefit from coe rebate as per your agreement with the dealer. If you had signed b4 26.2.13 and your dealer already secured the coe for you, you are 100% under old rules.

Either way I don't see how you can profit from the expected drop in coe. Well, the coe might drop a bit only so don't think so much lah.

Thank you all for the input.

The P.A. was indeed signed just before 26th.

Rebate level for COE was at about 90k

However, the increase in ARF does apply to any cars registered on upcoming COE bids.

The increase in ARF in this particular instance is close to 20k.

Meaning even if the PA signed earlier, if dealer bid for and register the car with new COEs, the dealer has to pay for increase in ARF.

(Thats why got a lot of cancellations on super high end cars).

The dealer has however said that they will absorb the increase in ARF.

However, one small loophole is to register the car under previously bidded OPEN cat COE.

If the dealer does have some unused open cat coe, they can choose to register the car under this COE to save on their ARF increase.

= Buyer lugi since COE at that time was 90k++

The car in question now is only slated to arrive 3-4 months time.

By then, any OPEN Cat COE (3 months expiry) held by the dealer should have expired.

That was why I asked Question 1. (registering car before arrival in Singapore with Open Cat COE).

Reason that this was a distinct possibility since among the range for cars sold by this dealer, this OMV is on the high side.

Hence if the dealer does have any Open Cat COE at hand, it will probably be used to register this model.

(edited)

Of course, the dealer is much better of trading the open cat COE with other companies selling super high end cars for a huge profit.

Unless their particular company policy prevents them from doing so?

Edited by Thegodzilla

Ok clearer now. You are right. Since you have signed b4 26.2.13, they have to honour the stated price even if they use march 13 onward's coe that incur higher coe. Not too bad in your case if they have not secured coe for you because your rebate level is so high! Sure got some money back one. Only concern is they use open cat but like you said, car still 3 or 4 months away so unlikely due to 3 month validity of open cat coe. You are in good hand, with luck, can get high coe rebate. If I were you, I will find out when are they going to bid for me. Last trick they can play is if the agreement is 6 bids non guarantee, they might not bid for you at all and let the deal lapse. I have a hunch they will do this if coe really crash if they not willing to rebate you.

Technically, they can charge for the increase in the ARF.

This is in most T&Cs.

That's why got alot of cancellations for high end cars when the dealer decides to pass on the increase to the buyer (when amount is too big to absorb).

This particular one the dealer has decided to absorb.

Thank you.

Fingers crossed.

Anyone with any other comments welcomed to contribute!!

Thank you all for the input.

The P.A. was indeed signed just before 26th.

Rebate level for COE was at about 90k

However, the increase in ARF does apply to any cars registered on upcoming COE bids.

The increase in ARF in this particular instance is close to 20k.

Meaning even if the PA signed earlier, if dealer bid for and register the car with new COEs, the dealer has to pay for increase in ARF.

(Thats why got a lot of cancellations on super high end cars).

The dealer has however said that they will absorb the increase in ARF.

However, one small loophole is to register the car under previously bidded OPEN cat COE.

If the dealer does have some unused open cat coe, they can choose to register the car under this COE to save on their ARF increase.

= Buyer lugi since COE at that time was 90k++

The car in question now is only slated to arrive 3-4 months time.

By then, any OPEN Cat COE (3 months expiry) held by the dealer should have expired.

That was why I asked Question 1. (registering car before arrival in Singapore with Open Cat COE).

Reason that this was a distinct possibility since among the range for cars sold by this dealer, this OMV is on the high side.

Hence if the dealer does have any Open Cat COE at hand, it will probably be used to register this model.

Just curious have you secured the coe? Salivating at your coe rebate level!

↡ Advertisement