From ST Forum: Grandma Almost Given Wrong Blood

Vulcann

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...-blood-20130314

(NB: Not sure why the above link needed to be logged in & so the article cannot be accessed unless you are a subsriber)

As such I will recall from my memory this incident which was published in the reader's column from zaobao a couple of days back.

Remembered this case because it was quite a serious lapse.

According to this disgruntled reader they had a horrible experience at a local hospital.

IIRC their 84 year-old grandma was warded & needed a blood transfusion.

When the nurse tried to perform the transfusion, one of the relatives who was a nurse or was trained in medical procedures was astonished that the blood to be given was of type O+ but their grandma's blood type was AB.

She quickly told the nurse who was adamant that the blood type was the one prescribed by the doctor & insisted on performing the procedure.

Angered, the relatives quickly summoned the nursing manager & the latter was nonchalant about the mistake.

When pressed, the nursing manager was reported to say that she had already apologised what more the relatives wanted.

Really jialat... [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead]

↡ Advertisement

Response from the hospital:

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...spital-20130314

Steps taken to prevent recurrence, says hospital

Published on Mar 14, 2013

WE SINCERELY apologise for the distress caused to Madam Eileen Ang and her family arising from the near-miss incident involving her grandmother, who was recently warded at Mount Alvernia Hospital.

Following the incident on the night of Feb 23, the nurse manager on duty reported it to her supervising officer, and an internal investigation was immediately launched.

Our assistant director of nursing met and spoke with Madam Ang's family, and following the patient's discharge, our quality resource management principal manager also called her daughter to apologise for the incident.

The hospital views the incident seriously and has taken immediate measures to address it.

We have also spoken to both the nurse manager and the nurse involved, and taken disciplinary action for non-compliance with hospital protocol and lack of empathy when attending to Madam Ang's family.

The error was on the hospital's part and we apologise unreservedly for the oversight.

This incident should not have happened and we have taken steps to prevent a recurrence.

Goh Hock Soon

Director of Corporate Development

Mount Alvernia Hospital

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-...-blood-20130314

(NB: Not sure why the above link needed to be logged in & so the article cannot be accessed unless you are a subsriber)

As such I will recall from my memory this incident which was published in the reader's column from zaobao a couple of days back.

Remembered this case because it was quite a serious lapse.

According to this disgruntled reader they had a horrible experience at a local hospital.

IIRC their 84 year-old grandma was warded & needed a blood transfusion.

When the nurse tried to perform the transfusion, one of the relatives who was a nurse or was trained in medical procedures was astonished that the blood to be given was of type O+ but their grandma's blood type was AB.

She quickly told the nurse who was adamant that the blood type was the one prescribed by the doctor & insisted on performing the procedure.

Angered, the relatives quickly summoned the nursing manager & the latter was nonchalant about the mistake.

When pressed, the nursing manager was reported to say that she had already apologised what more the relatives wanted.

Really jialat... [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead]

type O to type AB is okie I tot??? unless its Type O+ to type AB-, then something could happen... ?

Edited by Tigershark1976

type O to type AB is okie I tot??? unless its Type O+ to type AB-, then something could happen... ?

My bad [blush]

It was the other way round: the grandma's blood was O+ and the blood to be given was AB+.

Lost in translation...

Obvious error.

In govt hospitals, the blood product needs to be checked by the doctor and nurse administering against patient's tag and verbally with patient if possible.

Edited by Lala81

Anyway manage to find the ST print version, courtesy from a colleague who bought it.

It was on page A30:

post-5981-1363220225_thumb.jpg

(edited)

Obvious error.

In govt hospitals, the blood product needs to be checked by the doctor and nurse administering against patient's tag and verbally with patient if possible.

We all agree mistakes do happen but this one is rather serious as it can have dire consequences.

It was lucky the patient's family spotted it, if not... [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Edited by Vulcann

We all agree mistakes do happen but this one is rather serious as it can have die consequences.

True enough. Can't get any more dire than to die. [laugh]

basic knowledge leh

O can give to all

AB can only give to AB

O can only receive O

but O abundant

True enough. Can't get any more dire than to die. [laugh]

Paiseh bo tuk che, ang mo sipei cha like that one.

But literally the case right? [laugh] [laugh]

basic knowledge leh

O can give to all

AB can only give to AB

O can only receive O

but O abundant

Life rather unfair right?

Yours sincerely also O+.... [:(]

i think nurses are piad quite low as compared to their responsibility... therefore the onus should fall more on the doctors to ensure things are adminstered correctly

Before the administrating of any blood products, the health care professionals are required to check by another health care profession before giving. Only RNs and Dr are allowed to perform this procedure. A lot of patient assessment and data analysis is required in order perform correctly.

Edited by Calford

Supercharged

Before the administrating of any blood products, the health care professionals are required to check by another health care profession before giving. Only RNs and Dr are allowed to perform this procedure. A lot of patient assessment and data analysis is required in order perform correctly.

My wife goes for blood transfusion monthly so I can memorise the blood affirmation before every transfusion. [laugh]

The nurses who collect the blood from bloodbank have to confirm receiver's details like name, IC number and blood group before assigning the blood. Then they will confirm with the receiver the same details upon assigning. THEN, when administrating the transfusion, they will get the doctor in to confirm with receiver, the doctor confirm with assigning nurses before actually administering the blood to receiver.

No way to go wrong. If the doctor is eng cim, he can also call up bloodbank to confirm that particular pack of blood is for who.

I'm not sure if it's the same case for A&E cases but I believe protocols should be along that line as well.

So only the doctors and the nurses know what went wrong there.

Anyway, recent months, O+ blood is dangerously low on stock in Singapore's Blood Bank. If anyone can, please go increase the stock. [;)]

↡ Advertisement