To Those COE Expiring 1-2 Years Time.

Rogersk8ter

so if PQP is abt 30k one wld consider renew coe.

But if coe drops this much, will it be better to go for 2nd hand car? esp if u can find a gd 6-7 years gd condition 2nd hand?

↡ Advertisement

A car is not about engine only

tia gong coe will cheong like mad (today newspaper say many people go showroom buy car) [:p]

tia gong coe will cheong like mad (today newspaper say many people go showroom buy car) [:p]

Yah, tia gong showrooms are packed like market place and ppl buy cars like buying fish. :D

Yah, tia gong showrooms are packed like market place and ppl buy cars like buying fish. :D

this tia gong thing is really funny [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Twincharged

Luckily most of my family's cars renewed in 2008 already when COE was very low. All renewed another 10 years although current COE still left a few year. Only left my own car haven't renew. If the COE ever drops below 40K I will renew. Or else just drive till COE ends and get another second hand car.

From Onemotoring:

"LTA allows changing of engines provided that it is of the same type as the original one. Therefore, LTA would require the following to be submitted for evaluation:

New or reconditioned engines

a) Invoice or bill of sales from the supplier of the replacement engine.

b) Certification from vehicle manufacturer or the local sole agent stating that the replacement is of the same type as the original one."

So we can change engine? Question is whether we can find one 10 year down the road.

Why wud u need to change engine after only 10yrs?

Cars are mostly built and meant to last more than 10years, fortunately or unfortunately only in truly Singapore, people are bestowed with the 10years COE concepts which related to the EOL of the vehicle.

I drove an old starlet up to its 17th birthday and my dad drove an old corolla up to its 23rd birthday... Somehow or rather i miss the oldies. :D

Edited by Ralliart_ray

Yes. If yr car is in good condition n a new coe/pqp plus scrap value together is reasonable....sometimes its worth to keep car another 10 yrs. If yr car reaching 20 yrs n still in good condition n coe/pqp price is low even better cos now u dun lose any scrap value. U just pay coe/pqp price to use another 10 yrs.

Last time my coe corona still good condition n i did consider to renew coe fr another 5 or 10 yrs but bcos coe was expected to become more ex..i decided to change car b4 e coe became more ex. That corona cud easily last till 30yrs. Car was damm solid. My only fear was if can still find spare parts or not.

But last time parf rebate damn high leh, lost parf rebate on top of COE, might as well buy new car no?

The only thing I don't like about new car is the warranty, have to service at AD which I'm really not used to. My previous Matrix, servicing is like dirt cheap and I can always stretch the servicing to 15k, with the new car.......

i knew my car outside in...ha....

the thing is, my car is not so common on the road, and parts tends to be very expensive, even if can find in scrap yard. they also potong carrot.

For me, to renew, I need to first put in quite some $$$ to replace the wear and tear......hitting 200KKM already, although engine and other mechanical still going strong, but would not want to risk it. cannot find parts is the worst for me.

so i rather give up....

which car you driving?

Cars are mostly built and meant to last more than 10years, fortunately or unfortunately only in truly Singapore, people are bestowed with the 10years COE concepts which related to the EOL of the vehicle.

I drove an old starlet up to its 17th birthday and my dad drove an old corolla up to its 23rd birthday... Somehow or rather i miss the oldies. :D

Yes, most cars can last beyond 10 yrs. It is a matter how much u are willing to spend on maintenance and spare parts. That's why we only see certain brand make it beyond 10yrs on our road.

Twincharged

Yes, most cars can last beyond 10 yrs. It is a matter how much u are willing to spend on maintenance and spare parts. That's why we only see certain brand make it beyond 10yrs on our road.

True. Conti will start to be expensive if got major parts to change. No wonder all the COE cars usually Korean or Jap.

Hypersonic

renew if total depreciation including higher road tax

is lower than buying a used/new car

:D

If COE remains at such high levels...yes I will renew my COE and forsake my PARF of around 13K.

But if COE drops...then it would make sense to buy new or even used. The 50% downpayment should not be a issue if the COE are around 20-30K.

Mine still someway to go...2017 Oct...till then see how. But if all remains the same as now...renew COE. Crazy to put a 50K DP if the PARF is only a fifth nia.

True. Conti will start to be expensive if got major parts to change. No wonder all the COE cars usually Korean or Jap.

Can find korean COE car? Dont think i see any le?!

As long as COE car is concern, i still think Toyota rank no. 1. 2nd place is Honda or Nissan. For Conti, i would say Merc rank no 1. Even as some say VW and Audi is good and popular, the number that make it to beyond 10 yrs is good enough to say about the brand and reliability. Hardly see any COE Audi and VW. Needless to comment further on Renault and Peugeut. Almost extinction...

But last time parf rebate damn high leh, lost parf rebate on top of COE, might as well buy new car no?

The only thing I don't like about new car is the warranty, have to service at AD which I'm really not used to. My previous Matrix, servicing is like dirt cheap and I can always stretch the servicing to 15k, with the new car.......

That time my corona scrap value $11k i think. Not much diff fm my optra now which is $8k plus.

New car service tied to agent cos ty found a new way to carrot chop buyers.

I bought my optea 2nd hand wh abt 6 mths left on agent warranty. Well i threw it into e dustbin cos i dun need it.

I chked car carefully b4 i bought n found it in sound mechanical condition.

Why sud i pay agent a small fortune to just do a simple service when u get my own ws to do fr abt $50 only.

And on top of that i think my own ws wil do a much better job.

As long as COE car is concern, i still think Toyota rank no. 1. 2nd place is Honda or Nissan. For Conti, i would say Merc rank no 1. Even as some say VW and Audi is good and popular, the number that make it to beyond 10 yrs is good enough to say about the brand and reliability. Hardly see any COE Audi and VW. Needless to comment further on Renault and Peugeut. Almost extinction...

when it comes to cars operating beyond 10 years, i think the critical issue is mroe about parts availability even though durability has got some effect.

for the koreans, the cars made before 2000 are still nto up to mark in durability. so you don't see in singapore and most parts of the world koreans cars that are 20 years old.

but for other parts of the world, i still see quite some continental 15-20 year makes. so i am inclined to believe it is the parts availability that makes for such cars not existing in singapore beyond 10 year of age.

that also explains why only the popular makes in singapore are seen in singapore beyond 10 years of age. because the popularirty of honda, toyota, nissan and mercs means that parts are plentiful and people find it worthwhile to extend the COE.

Twincharged

Not many. But I think will have more? Seen quite a few of the old elantras around.

↡ Advertisement