Small Overlap Crash Test

XWD

Neutral Newbie

Was searching YouTube and came across these videos. Not sure about you but it came across quite strongly the need to consider safety. This is reinforced by pictures of accidents of some cars here in Singapore. Thought I share these the links to these videos and, hopefully, if a change in purchase decision can save a life or two, it would have been worth it.

Search string in YouTube "IIHS Small Overlap Crash Test"

In no particular order:

Toyota Camry / Rating - Poor

Subaru Legacy / Rating - Acceptable

Audi A4 / Rating - Poor

BMW 3-Series / Rating - Marginal

Mazda 6 / Rating - Acceptable

Toyota Prius / Rating - Poor

Mercedes C-Class / Rating - Poor

Volvo S60 / Rating - Good

Hyundai Sonata / Rating - Marginal

Edited by XWD
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Wanted to add that its shocking to see that some supposed hardy and popular conti cars were rated poor. Hope manufacturers improve on this.

Edited by XWD

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

VW CC / Rating - Marginal

Honda Accord 4-door 2013 / Rating - Good

Honda Accord 2-door / Rating - Acceptable

Edited by XWD

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
IIHS safety awards

To determine crashworthiness — how well a vehicle protects its occupants in a crash — IIHS rates vehicles good, acceptable, marginal or poor based on performance in five tests: moderate overlap front, small overlap front, side, rollover and rear.

Means rating from Poor>Marginal>Acceptable>Good.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Edited by XWD

Neutral Newbie

Found the video that explains the origins of the test. Amazingly, the Lexus IS250 scored poor. Quite scary to think if lena small overlap accident and driver's legs get trapped as the safety cage collapses. Drive sage people.

Neutral Newbie

A link for more info :

FT

Eh... this list is dated back to 2011. Doesn't seem to cover the small overlap test lei.

Found the video that explains the origins of the test. Amazingly, the Lexus IS250 scored poor. Quite scary to think if lena small overlap accident and driver's legs get trapped as the safety cage collapses. Drive sage people.

Is not surprise. When I was looking for a second car last year, I did test driver the IS250. Is really quiet and a nice. But after doing some research, I realized is a over priced car. How I came to this conclusion, is mainly the safety and value for dollar. You pay a Jappy car for a conti dollar. Not worth, after all. Ended up with a Mercs. [cool]

The current (9th) and 8th generations of Honda Civic have Good rating for this crash test.

So it does not mean that Conti cars are usually better than Japanese or Korean cars in this respect. It is the structural design and how soon the manufacturers rectify the short-coming after test results that matter.

In any case, driving safely and defensively to avoid any collision is best.

Is not surprise. When I was looking for a second car last year, I did test driver the IS250. Is really quiet and a nice. But after doing some research, I realized is a over priced car. How I came to this conclusion, is mainly the safety and value for dollar. You pay a Jappy car for a conti dollar. Not worth, after all. Ended up with a Mercs. [cool]

you is not surprise by C-class merc also same category ? [;)]

Twincharged

you is not surprise by C-class merc also same category ? [;)]

I'd rather get IS250 since its the same category. More comfortable and quieter... Safety rating also same as the merc C-class anyway.

The current (9th) and 8th generations of Honda Civic have Good rating for this crash test.

So it does not mean that Conti cars are usually better than Japanese or Korean cars in this respect. It is the structural design and how soon the manufacturers rectify the short-coming after test results that matter.

In any case, driving safely and defensively to avoid any collision is best.

But not at this price, for a jappy car. Not a value buy leh. If you are telling me the price range of 50 - 65k, then make some sense.

↡ Advertisement