Best Way to Watch TV

BoneStock

Folks,

Need some advice from you on the best way to use my laptop and also watch TV in my room.

Option 1

1) Buy LCD Monitor

2) Buy TV Tuner http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Digital-ATSC-H...=item2c5a81c4f4

3) Connect laptop to Monitor using usual VGA cable or HDMI.

Anyone used such TV tuner before? Reception good?

Option 2

1) Buy LED TV

2) Buy USB to HDMI adaptor http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Samsung-Galaxy...=item1c309ff712

3) Connect laptop to TV using HDMI

Reason why I am considering 2 options is because the TV point in my room is quite far from my work station. So I have to run a long cable which is unsightly. Also, based on my experience a computer monitor lasts much longer than a TV so for cost reasons, a regular TV monitor seems to make more $$ sense.

Am considering to use a USB TV tuner but I have not used one before so not sure if the reception is good.

I have 2 laptops now, one with HDMI connector and the other without.

↡ Advertisement

btw, I work from home 2-3days a week and I usually connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to my laptop when I am working from home. My laptop is very small so not suitable for working long hours.

I think TS is looking to make use of his laptop to view TV and not looking at a replacement unit.

To TS, if your concern is price of TV, then you can forget option 2 since you already ruled that out.

Also, since you mention HDMI cable, I assume you are looking for high definition video output. No?

Cable is the cheapest and guranteed way for crisp video unless you wish to invest in a wireless video transmitter.

Hope the above helps. Have fun.

dun buy tv tuner, reception is very bad...

normal tv will give you all the local channel. I use Apple TV for stream from laptop (apple of course) or iPad iPhone :D :D

dun buy tv tuner, reception is very bad...

normal tv will give you all the local channel. I use Apple TV for stream from laptop (apple of course) or iPad iPhone :D :D

I see, thanks for advice.

Actually I often have to work at night and also make phone calls overseas. Currently, I have my own "home office" that I can work in comfort. No matter how late I have to work.

Prob is that I will be moving to a small apartment soon and do not have the luxury of an extra room to do my work. So I am thinking of working in the living room while my wife can watch TV or use the computer in our bedroom. Since the bedroom is small, just one common screen for watching TV cum VDU for computer.

Since tv tuner is bad I may have to lay a long cable to the wall outlet then.

Any better alternatives? [smallcry]

↡ Advertisement