Neighbourhood or Elite Primary School

Caldina

Taking the anal-ogy to its logical conclusion:

Doing 2 masters in the same prestigious U is like having sex with hot twins.

Doing a masters at Oxford, then a PhD at Cambridge is like having sex with the elder sister after you've finished banging the younger one.

Doing anything at NUS is like having sex with a pretty and shy, but frigid girl next door. She looks good from afar, and makes it really hard to get in, and when you've finally made it inside her, you find that she's not all she's cracked up to be.

Doing anything at NTU is like having sex with an equally pretty but less refined ah lian. Who can speak only Chinese. But who cares when you're doing it, right?

Your best post so far. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Which is better?

According to someone, all schools are good schools... as parents we always wan the best for the child and what is the best to a child is what we perceive as the best and shaped by the society. Elitist mindset can be in any of the child, if handled well you help the kid to progress in his/her life and yet empathetic towards those less fortunate (this is what is lacking in current society). All wanna be the better than others but not knowing what is the best....

I went thru the cycle of enrolling my child n yes, I wanna put my kid in the best school...by definition: preferably those where the peers challenge each others and provides a healthy environment for growth... distance is a consideration...preferably within 15-20 mins car ride the max.

As parent, you got to set up your own strategy for your kid...which school is suitable which school is not..what would you like the kid to be..better than other or to do their best in all things in life... I prefer the latter...I teach my kid it is ok not to be a winner always but it is a must to do the best in all things you are given..I call this the spirit of excellence but not at the expense of anyone including themselves..

Donation to school is already a no-no from what I understand as I have tried to do that to secure a place but was told no...parent volunteer you got to research on is required by the school and put up your proposal intelligently. You got to do it say 2-3 years ahead...

Having say all of the above, teach/shape your child in the way you wan him/her to be... an elite school may not necessary mean those definition attached by the current society..look beyond the results...see ur child as an unique individual rather than following the herds...

I just have to say this

the rates of MEntal health individuals housed in Buangkok are on the increase!!!

Taking the anal-ogy to its logical conclusion:

Doing 2 masters in the same prestigious U is like having sex with hot twins.

Doing a masters at Oxford, then a PhD at Cambridge is like having sex with the elder sister after you've finished banging the younger one.

Doing anything at NUS is like having sex with a pretty and shy, but frigid girl next door. She looks good from afar, and makes it really hard to get in, and when you've finally made it inside her, you find that she's not all she's cracked up to be.

Doing anything at NTU is like having sex with an equally pretty but less refined ah lian. Who can speak only Chinese. But who cares when you're doing it, right?

what about SMU? cosmetically enhanced?

I just have to say this

the rates of MEntal health individuals housed in Buangkok are on the increase!!!

are they from elite school? :huh:[sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

are they from elite school? :huh:[sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

i met a few there.....real sad u know. This is really cracking un der pressure

Ehhhhhh

Like that the poor ones always get rejected at interview???

Will these rejections hurt them in any way

Imagine working stage

Haven't go job interview

Oreadi feel will get rejected Liao

Hahaha

Such OS trip only happen once a year. Put it this way, it is a nice and gentle way to reject them.

Wonder if I can just donate 100k to my school of choice for my children to study in that school. Fees of good preschool so high, making 100k so much value for money. More worth it if you have many many children.

I know it is not a lot of money to a lot of people, but it is a lot to me!

According to someone, all schools are good schools... as parents we always wan the best for the child and what is the best to a child is what we perceive as the best and shaped by the society. Elitist mindset can be in any of the child, if handled well you help the kid to progress in his/her life and yet empathetic towards those less fortunate (this is what is lacking in current society). All wanna be the better than others but not knowing what is the best....

I went thru the cycle of enrolling my child n yes, I wanna put my kid in the best school...by definition: preferably those where the peers challenge each others and provides a healthy environment for growth... distance is a consideration...preferably within 15-20 mins car ride the max.

As parent, you got to set up your own strategy for your kid...which school is suitable which school is not..what would you like the kid to be..better than other or to do their best in all things in life... I prefer the latter...I teach my kid it is ok not to be a winner always but it is a must to do the best in all things you are given..I call this the spirit of excellence but not at the expense of anyone including themselves..

Donation to school is already a no-no from what I understand as I have tried to do that to secure a place but was told no...parent volunteer you got to research on is required by the school and put up your proposal intelligently. You got to do it say 2-3 years ahead...

Having say all of the above, teach/shape your child in the way you wan him/her to be... an elite school may not necessary mean those definition attached by the current society..look beyond the results...see ur child as an unique individual rather than following the herds...

Agree. What is actually more important is how the parents teach and inculcate values in their child.

Frankly, even if you dump your kid in a good school but never do anything with your kid (leaving everything to the school), then there's only so much he/she can do before he/she reaches the limit.

Parents ultimately hold the greater power in deciding how kids turn out, IMO.

Wonder if I can just donate 100k to my school of choice for my children to study in that school. Fees of good preschool so high, making 100k so much value for money. More worth it if you have many many children.

u drop a call to the principal and see wat he/ she things abt your donation lar

Do you think that it also depends on the char of the child, whether elite schools are suitable for them?

It can be a case of big fish in small pond, or avg fish in big pond.

Will it affect their confidence if you push them into elite schools at this stage?

• Praise 1

Nope. Mordor. [laugh]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! [laugh]

yup.... the stairs by the basketball courts where stories and dreams about the future were forged and memories were made.

elite pri sch so what? doesn't amount to anything except to feed the ego of kiasu parents.

I got 2 frens who topped the PSLE (diff years) but cannot make it to local uni. I have friends who were in the gifted stream but can't even find a proper job (terrible social skills). I have even more friends from our so-called ELITE school with damn messed up lives (whole life controlled by parents - just go all-out with newfound freedom - for more than 10 years already).

on the other hand, I know a lot more people who didn't do THAT well in school and yet end up successful - not just in monetary terms but as advocates for humanitarian efforts etc. And of course, your typical tow kay.

don't leave the teachings to the schools - as parents we hold far greater responsibilities.

Edited by Yattokame

You think the schools need your money? Hahahahahahaha!

To my mind this is a reason NOT to put kid in that school.

Mine attends the closest school - Mee Toh.

How do u find mee toh?

I thinking of putting my girl there in another 2 year time.

Those old stairs were gone, some "reclamation" happened at the basketball court area, the courts are now 1-2 storey higher (in terms of sea level) than the old ones. A new block is also added in front of the old secondary school block. Fond memories of standing at YY mum's drink stall seeping a drink n looking at the courts activities.

After so many years, the bond among old boys is still so strong.

↡ Advertisement